Sign in to follow this  
taoteching99

You need to deal with weakness

If you are practising any [ spiritual ] path 

,or lets put it this way, you are doing certain practices,

{ could be some form of formal concentration practices on the cushion,like mindfulness of the breath in which u focus on the breath for some period of time,or yoga practices,perhaps metta is your choice,so u like to extend your lovingkindness towards every being ..etc...etc.. whatever that is } ,

and at this point, i dont care what your motivations are for the practice ,

{ whether it you do it because you ve done it habitually , or you do it and thinking it will lead you to some strong experiences, enlightenment perhaps , or any other reason, or no reason at all ( is there such thing as doing something for no reason at all ??  -if have  this is such an unconscious, habitual,animalistic, reactive doing  )  .. } 

for what i want to know is this :

1. CAN YOU PRACTICE ALL (THOSE QUALITIES) TOGETHER AT THIS MOMENT? Even for just a single moment? Is that even possible? 

Lets say you practice metta in the morning, at work you try as much as possible to maintain a detach attitute,in the evening you will habitually sit down and extend your compassionate mind to all the 4 directions. can you combine all those practices together so that you can do them in the morning,at work,and afterwork? is this even possible?

i dont think so, because all the qualities within us arent equally developed.You could be very compassionate and loving, but distracted a lot. your concentration sucks. 

so  all those qualities have to be developed separatedly.if im easily distracted,i need to master the ability to calm down,for this is my weakness.

2. The answer is : NO,we need to deal with our weakness if a stable path is to be 'obtained '(effortlessness)

just another senseless post :-)

Edited by taoteching99

... we need to deal with our weakness if a stable path is to be 'obtained '(effortlessness)

just another senseless post :-)

Not really senseless at all.  This is an important consideration.

We all have weaknesses.  How do we deal with them?  We do need to deal with them else others will take advantage of our weaknesses.

We all have weaknesses.  How do we deal with them?  We do need to deal with them else others will take advantage of our weaknesses.

You r talking  from the social (interaction-with-others)  point of view ? i dont see any connection to my post ....

Edited by taoteching99

You r talking  from the social (interaction-with-others)  point of view ? i dont see any connection to my post ....

Nope.  I am talking about our total essence disregarding our external reality.

As an example:  We have an unreasonable fear of something.  This fear will likely cause us to do unreasonable things.  We will lose our inner peace.

And then, yes, this will be seen by others who will take advantage of that fear.

All our interactions with others begins with our inner essence.  Our inner weaknesses will dictate how we interact with others.

• Like 1

My weakness is sometimes I think I know what the hell I'm doing.

• Like 3

I don't suffer that in the moment...

But it certainly has its consequences.

• Like 1

Nope.  I am talking about our total essence disregarding our external reality.

As an example:  We have an unreasonable fear of something.  This fear will likely cause us to do unreasonable things.  We will lose our inner peace.

And then, yes, this will be seen by others who will take advantage of that fear.

All our interactions with others begins with our inner essence.  Our inner weaknesses will dictate how we interact with others.

What if we are hugely egoistic? And we are interacting with another of the same nature? Wats gonna happen? :-)

Operating from an accentuated egoic position doesn't,  by itself , dictate any particular relationship will ensue. 

There's Other rules, like,,, the most neurotic person will tend to dominate in the beginning, but the more tolerant person will tend to control the situation later.. but ,  Often circumstances end up dictating what goes on. 

or , if they were chained to me , one of us would end up chewing their arm off to get away. :) 

• Like 1

Yes, it is a good point that to make the following equation balance out, you need them to be one and the same:

Practice = Stable Path = Effortlessness

For me, the first concept to drop off is 'practice'... and then thoughts of 'stable' and then residing in Path = Effortlessness.

• Like 2

I thought u only see consciousness as byproduct of physical brain , so theres n9 such thing as inner essence ? how do u hold 2 conflicting beliefs?

Hehehe.  You are not the first person to accuse me of holding conflicting beliefs (understandings).

I don't speak about spirituality much because I believe that it is undefinable.

Sometimes I use the word "brain" when referring to what allows for consciousness. 

Other times I will use the word "mind" which includes more that just the conscious brain.  And this includes such things as individual and universal Chi.  And there is so much going on in our unconscious brain all the time, not only when we are sleeping.

But I can't talk about things that are undefinable.  Only regarding the material universe can I speak.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this