Sign in to follow this  
taoteching99

Teacher who advertised themselves

Just some random thoughts,out of curiosity,

I dont feel good abt those spiritual teachers from whatever tradition who advertised themselves.Perhaps in subtler ways.Maybe indirectly through students etc..

For a truly realised sage,already beyond like/dislike,gain and loss,what is there to advertised about? They dont care much about teaching,helping and enlightened others.

Their point of view is this : If you come my way and need help,i give(provided u r ready for it).Nobody comes,no matter.World war 3 explodes,im unaffected.

I dont think they will consciously go to help and wanting to 'saved ' the world.

What do you think?

Trying to save the world , is unwise   , unless you Can do it. 

Trying to be of service , because you want to benefit someone, and being able to do it, is not-unwise. 

Trying to teach,  so as to inflate ones estimate of ones self , one has put themselves in a deficit. 

• Like 3

The explosion of world War and himself/ herself unaffected , got me curious,

If the said war lead him into concentration camp, being tortured, what is the sage's reaction?Can you be fully detached?No fear?And hatred? I heard vaguely of real life 'selfless'reaction of human being when in a very adverse situations.Is this some kind of robotic human experience?

Edited by taoteching99

Bodhisattva, won't you take me by the hand?

What's the video abt (haven't watch it ).I take it u disagree with the sage being reclusive.

'selfless service' is the next stage after 'naturalness'? I don't noe. ...

Edited by taoteching99

Please could you give some specific examples of the 'spiritual teachers' you are talking about?

Please could you give some specific examples of the 'spiritual teachers' you are talking about?

Without pointing to anybody specifically,let me say this is just my general,personal view, a prejudice (if u like to see it that way). ...

:-)

Edited by taoteching99

If the said war lead him into concentration camp, being tortured, what is the sage's reaction?Can you be fully detached?No fear?And hatred? I heard vaguely of real life 'selfless'reaction of human being when in a very adverse situations.Is this some kind of robotic human experience?

What we cant change is foolish to worry about, regardless of what we would want things to be.

Any man who loves his life would not want to lose it, any man who does not love his life might not be afraid to lose it, any man who does not love his life is already deadened , and if that was his choice , he was a fool, his life was wasted.

If it was not his choice , that his life was not lovable , then he is better off passing on , to be reborn,( if that happens).  

But one does not wisely make things worse, nor ignore what is of value.  

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

It's hard to know exactly what you're talking about if you refuse to give at least a few examples. Although, i understand if you don't want to offend specific people. :)

Maybe you could give an example of how people advertise themselves...

It's hard to know exactly what you're talking about if you refuse to give at least a few examples. Although, i understand if you don't want to offend specific people. :)

Maybe you could give an example of how people advertise themselves...

Should change the title ....:-)

Search for the story of Wang Juemin (Wang Jue Min).

what has the inclusion of payment got to do in determining the value of a teaching? Teachers are mere carriers of the teachings they convey, and very often has nothing to do with the admin side of how spiritual centres conduct their financial planning. 

latedit: typo

Edited by C T
  • Like 3

What's the video abt (haven't watch it ).I take it u disagree with the sage being reclusive.

'selfless service' is the next stage after 'naturalness'? I don't noe. ...

I do disagree.

Forgive my frankness: My opinion FWIW is that you're too idealistic right now. I know 'cos I can be too. Easily solved by putting butt-cheek to cushion.

• Like 5

I don't think you can judge the integrity of what is being conveyed , by high fee , low fee , or no fee. 

So the issue reverts to a question of what relationship one has with the teacher,, and if one is charging fees , it is simply a fee for service arrangement , same as the purchase of food , books , medical care etc.

• Like 2

Just some random thoughts,out of curiosity,

I dont feel good abt those spiritual teachers from whatever tradition who advertised themselves.Perhaps in subtler ways.Maybe indirectly through students etc..

Stay away from that kind even if they do advertise indirectly.

The one I met is because I was looking for a monastery to learn Vipassana meditation (Thailand) and even then the teacher in charge (abbot who many consider a living arahant) wasn't there at all, he was living quietly in his small hut. I was appointed to one of the students...and that was more than enough. :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

Stay away from that kind even if they do advertise indirectly.

The one I met is because I was looking for a monastery to learn Vipassana meditation (Thailand) and even then the teacher in charge (abbot who many consider a living arahant) wasn't there at all, he was living quietly in his small hut. I was appointed to one of the students...and that was more than enough. :)

Hi, im interested to know more about your encounter with this (one of students).And did you meet the teacher(abbot)?

Possible to share more?

Edited by taoteching99

In many countries in the East you have only to walk into town and inquire to find a whole assortment of spiritual teachers. Many areas are known far and wide.

In the West a whole new heritage is emerging. Many students and non- students are Awakening - "Eckhart Tolle" and many others.

We need to find them and hear their non- translated original language teaching - our own words and new lineages in present language by Western men and women of Western bodies with Western voice.

Not for any other reason than it is happening. And here, we do not just walk into a town - certainly not 9/10th of the USA and find much of anything by word of mouth. We are on our cell phones and pads looking for what's up and who gets the most stars. It is not perfect but among this way of doing things - many excellent teachers may be found giving a workshop or course.

A posting by a teacher written by hand in a coffee shop or made with illustrator - either is a great way to say " hello - I am here - please join me".

We have received great words of wisdom from abroad - translated and re-translated, condensed, expanded and examined. It has been wonderful to see the words first hand in our own language with our own fine intonation- the patinas and smells that carefully trigger within us the most subtle and wisely aimed pointing to the follies we are most hamstrung by here in our worlds of illusion.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

In many countries in the East you have only to walk into town and inquire to find a whole assortment of spiritual teachers. Many areas are known far and wide.

In the West a whole new heritage is emerging. Many students and non- students are Awakening - "Eckhart Tolle" and many others.

We need to find them and hear their non- translated original language teaching - our own words and new lineages in present language by Western men and women of Western bodies with Western voice.

Not for any other reason than it is happening. And here, we do not just walk into a town - certainly not 9/10th of the USA and find much of anything by word of mouth. We are on our cell phones and pads looking for what's up and who gets the most stars. It is not perfect but among this way of doing things - many excellent teachers may be found giving a workshop or course.

A posting by a teacher written by hand in a coffee shop or made with illustrator - either is a great way to say " hello - I am here - please join me".

We have received great words of wisdom from abroad - translated and re-translated, condensed, expanded and examined. It has been wonderful to see the words first hand in our own language with our own fine intonation- the patinas and smells that carefully trigger within us the most subtle and wisely aimed pointing to the follies we are most hamstrung by here in our worlds of illusion.

Eckhart Tolle is on the Rich Man’s List. Is this the price of enlightenment?

Christopher himself said nothing about the valdity of Eckharts teaching. Knowing that there is a prevaling attitude on the subject of payment renders Christophers comment to be insinuation,at best. This could be just a casual sloppy normal conversation kind of thing in Chistophers view, and it doesnt mean Christophers meditation things are bogus either. It just means folks may be prone to trying to garner judgement about fact A by looking at fact B, and its incredibly easy not to be perfect.

• Like 1

Christopher himself said nothing about the valdity of Eckharts teaching. Knowing that there is a prevaling attitude on the subject of payment renders Christophers comment to be insinuation,at best. This could be just a casual sloppy normal conversation kind of thing in Chistophers view, and it doesnt mean Christophers meditation things are bogus either. It just means folks may be prone to trying to garner judgement about fact A by looking at fact B, and its incredibly easy not to be perfect.

I think he was very generous in what he had to say about Tolle's contribution to spirituality in that piece, his attitude to 'Western' spirituality in general is pretty clear though in his associated piece at https://www.christophertitmussblog.org/ekhart-tolle-money-and-kindergarten-spirituality-a-response-to-emails where he states:

"Please remember that contemporary Western spiritual enlightenment mostly focuses on being in the now, a non-judging mindfulness, an end to the seeker, and a sense of oneness . You might think such teachings were deep and profound. Far, far from it. This is beginner’s stuff.

What much of the West offers in the way of enlightenment belongs to the kindergarten of spirituality."

I agree it's incredibly easy to not be perfect, it's the 1000's of people who claim to be perfectly realised that bother me.

• Like 1

Why does he keep accumulating wealth ( as opposed to having just enough) if he is already fully enlightened?

I couldnt speak for him. You recognize though, that you are expecting his conformance to your preexisting ideas , which doesnt ,validate or invalidate either view.
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this