MooNiNite

Is becoming a Creator the height of Spirituality?

Many traditions, Buddhism, Taoism, emphasize simplicity, almost bordering mundane living styles.

However, what about being a creator?

The artist,

The musician,

The poet,

the engineer,

the entrepreneur.

Monday through Friday becomes a belief system for many of these people, as it truly is. While hard work is implied, each day and each moment they are free.

Some spiritual traditions emphasize that The crown Chakra, brings the "birth of a creator."

• Like 1

I am an artist by trade. 

And while I am able to imbue my art with energy/spirit, I do not consider it any kind of height, or higher achievement than playing with, or teaching my son, or walking through the woods, or sitting in relative silence and emptiness, anything may also be imbued with the qualities of awareness and energy.

To consider one above another requires a perspective and then a value judgement about that perspective.

For me, currently... the height of spiritual pursuit is letting go and radical acceptance.

• Like 8

In response to the thread title:

Yes, that's a viable perspective.

Mystical union with what we may call the Spirit of the World is one thing... Bringing this Spirit down into the physical realm another. Whereby the physical will become more spiritual. - Healed and transformed.

And eventually, the dichotomy of 'above' and 'below' will be transcended altogether.

The OP mentioned various arts as examples of creative expression. However, the highest art is the Art of Living - making your life itself a beautiful expression of your spirit.

• Like 5

I guess the direct question would be whether or not humans evolve into taking more creative roles in society.

As humans would become more conscious creators of their individual lives, society at large would be transformed naturally.

There is the possibility of a global evolution towards more spirituality, eventually involving all of humanity.

In fact, it seems likely that living Earth herself is evolving too, as both a result of and a contributor to a universal process that involves the solar system, the galaxy and so forth...

• Like 2

Hmm... This post really made me think actually. I used to make my living as a musician. I had to stop because of physical problems, and now i make my living with social work.

I like to think that both careers involve a high degree of creativity (in different ways), but I've also always felt like a very mundane, worldly person, and i like being worldly. The world is fab.

I think it's good to 'have your feet firmly on the floor, and your head in the clouds' ... That sounds like a nice way to be :)

• Like 3

How about realising that you are the creator, rather than a creator ? Seems more like the height to me

• Like 1

Many traditions, Buddhism, Taoism, emphasize simplicity, almost bordering mundane living styles.

However, what about being a creator?

The artist,

The musician,

The poet,

the engineer,

the entrepreneur.

Monday through Friday becomes a belief system for many of these people, as it truly is. While hard work is implied, each day and each moment they are free.

Some spiritual traditions emphasize that The crown Chakra, brings the "birth of a creator."

I guess the direct question would be whether or not humans evolve into taking more creative roles in society. 

Every aspect of life is spiritual, but when we specifically take to spiritual pursuit as opposed to worldly pursuits then there is no place for creativity unless it is the inherent nature of the individual. For all purpose we can conclude that the main ideal of spirituality is just the opposite of creativity. In my opinion,creativity can be a stepping stone for achieving the ultimate enlightenment or Self Realization, but not the part of actual enlightenment. Enlightenment or Self Realization is transcending every aspect of the world to gain oneness with the supreme being which is beyond definitions.

Every aspect of life is spiritual, but when we specifically take to spiritual pursuit as opposed to worldly pursuits then there is no place for creativity unless it is the inherent nature of the individual. For all purpose we can conclude that the main ideal of spirituality is just the opposite of creativity. In my opinion,creativity can be a stepping stone for achieving the ultimate enlightenment or Self Realization, but not the part of actual enlightenment. Enlightenment or Self Realization is transcending every aspect of the world to gain oneness with the supreme being which is beyond definitions.

Then how come so many 'enlightened' or self-realized individuals are or become prolific writers and speakers? In some cases using other art forms too - like painting or music.

Spiritual realization by itself isn't the highest achievement. Manifesting it in the world is. Thus transcending the dualism of 'above' and 'below'.

As the Emerald Tablet says:

"Its power is entire if it be converted into earth."

• Like 1

not so much becoming a creator because that idea of 'becoming' implies forceful effort, but to develop a mindset that allows for the harmonious blending and flow of each creative process in different areas of life... while gradually removing the prickly thorns of conflicting emotional energies so as to imbue one's awareness with a sense of sacredness and non-separation. It's only natural that when found, this heightened sense of sacredness and non-separation will seek expressive outlets in a thousand different avenues. Any denial of this again implies forceful effort, which eventually transports one back to stagnation and mundanity. 

• Like 2

not so much becoming a creator because that idea of 'becoming' implies forceful effort, but to develop a mindset that allows for the harmonious blending and flow of each creative process in different areas of life... while gradually removing the prickly thorns of conflicting emotional energies so as to imbue one's awareness with a sense of sacredness and non-separation. It's only natural that when found, this heightened sense of sacredness and non-separation will seek expressive outlets in a thousand different avenues. Any denial of this again implies forceful effort, which eventually transports one back to stagnation and mundanity.

Yes, exactly. The sage becomes a channel for the force that they have been united with (wu wei). Enlightenment is nothing if it isn't being expressed in one's life.

• Like 1

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands, mind and his heart is an artist.”

Francis of Assisi

to Francis I would ask:

who is he who works with silence, emptiness and love?

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

To be that guy:

You cant avoid being a creator and a destructor every day. Shuffling the materials and energy around a person creates something every day as well as destroying something. Often by its "counterpart", meaning destruction is a creative act and vice versa.

If you are an artist you place heart and skill into doing. I'm an artist but i call myself a craftsman because it's a better description. Technique and experience matter, they only grow with painstaking work and the only way to keep doing that is either because it brings you joy or satisfaction somehow, imo at least. People who say they cant help themselves or stuff like that enjoy the satisfaction of having completed their compulsion if thats what it is :)

My disposition might give me the inclination do create things that are deemed beautiful, at times at least.

But it is no more a divine process or spiritual height that having skill with a rifle, servicing a vehicle, tending a wound, planning a trash route or whatever. An artist is already on a gong fu path, that is beneficial for their understanding of many things if they are prepared to see whan an exquisitly ordinary and human endeavor they are pursuing. It's not theatrics, it's not illusionism, it can be communication or a way to illustrate concepts and context by way of interaction, where a reciever of the work can use their impressions and direct experience to relate, organize, delve deeper or what have you.

I'm of the "everything is magic so what makes one thing more special than another?" idea camp, AKA "Nothing is magic".

Boredom and dullness are my teachers :)

• Like 1