Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Computer Scam with a Persistent caller

Got a call from someone saying they were from tech support and they were calling to help me.  Sounded suspicious, my sister fell for such a scam a few months ago.  I listened a little out of curiosity, then hung up.  They called again, and again.  Same person each time.  Telling me how important it was to go to support.me .   

Out of curiosity I typed it in, no way would I hit return.  The browser gave me alternatives like 'support.me spam' where I read to the person a number of headlines stating they were corrupt virus spreaders.  I thought I was doing my civic duty, but it didn't dissuade him, he kept talking.  I hung up and he called back a 4th time.  Persistent with a very distinct Indian accent. 

I expect if I'd typed it in, it'd download a virus requiring $$ to get rid of.  Probably several sets of $$.  So folks, its out there bold and repetitive.  I doubt most of us would 'bite' at such an obvious ploy but newbies, the old and naive might be caught by such a schemes. 

Gotta wonder if there's an army of them calling 1,000's every day.  I read an article about a hack the Russians did by sending 1,000's of cheap usb memory sticks to stores around military base.  It worked people plugged 'em in to PC's and things were stolen.  

User beware.  Technology.. it has it downsides. 

• Like 5

They have hit me too.  They have access to some company's registration files when you register a product.  I forget the company.

I think the ones who called me were in Pakistan.

• Like 1

Called me today too, after a long break -- they used to call with some regularity, then I read a whole company of those  fraudsters in India got busted, but apparently not all of them.  I just hung up, and the caller didn't persevere this time (at least so far).  But I'll be better prepared for the next call.  I have a very, very loud old blender, I keep meaning to replace it because of the noise it makes.  Well, while I still have it, I'll turn it on and hold the phone right next to its roar and also add some blood-curdling meows of my own, and then turn everything off and announce, in an eerie voice, "I released the demon that devours phone scamsters to live inside your head, eating your brain." 

Well, not really.  Not after two or three calls.   That would be too cruel.  

Definitely on the fourth. 

• Like 6

Here is another one.  I have heard about it but this evening is the first time I got the call and they even left a message on my answer machine

The IRS has a warrant out for your arrest.

This is a scam.  Beware!

• Like 2

They have hit me too.  They have access to some company's registration files when you register a product.  I forget the company.

I think the ones who called me were in Pakistan.

Maybe the program logmein?  They're not (hopefully) affiliated with them, but on the web, they seem to have a shady (hacked?) link to them.  Years ago I downloaded logmein, which might be the source for my phone number. 

I'm floored by the persistence of 'my' guy, 4 call backs!   They've hit so many people, are we talking 1,000's of scammers?  Maybe a work out of your home, incentive program with high payback?? 

And the spiel.. he gave me the names of the 2 people who've hacked my ISP and kept getting how part of the payment for my computer goes towards his companies defense against hackers.  The important thing now is to go right to support.me  and yada yada yada.  

They got my sister but they didn't get me.   She ended up realizing what she'd done afterwards and had the credit card payment stopped.   You'd think with such a wide spread scam the credit companies would have huge incentive to close them down.  Put a dozen men on it, work with local enforcement agencies and put an end to the scam.

addon> Same guy called me back today.  I explained that I thought it was a scam, told I'd done a write up on a forum about it, then put him on hold..  A minute or two later the line went dead.  Then he called back!!   The persistence is mind boggling. 

makes you wonder, do I sound like an idiot over the phone?   an easy mark?

• Like 2

I got a call last week. I asked which computer he was calling about and he said my Windows machine. I informed him that I knew what he was running a scam because I do not own a Windows machine. I also informed him that should he call me again, I would contact the Attorney General in my state without heatiation. I haven't heard a word from him since.

• Like 5

Hi,yeah don't so many anymore.

Always polite,cause just don't their circumstances.

My reply is always the,ie'i decline your offer'

'Bye,hanging up'then hangup.

Then there is this notice that has appeared twice on iPad.

Something like.

We are the Interpol police you have an Internet violation,on the spot fine.'

Then gives details of how to pay via online.

Tried everything,couldn't get rid of the notice.

So dumped/ deleted chrome,then downloaded a latest version of chrome.

Notice disappeared,hooray.

Edited by AussieTrees
  • Like 3

I got the 'IRS lawsuit' scam call twice, where they claim they are an agent of the IRS and have filed lawsuit. 

Strung the first one along a bit before she hung up.  Ignored the second one.

here are a couple of entertaining responses and string alongs of the same scam...

• Like 8

Sign in to follow this