Sign in to follow this  
taoteching99

What happens after death?

As a Buddhist, Life after Death within any of the 6 realms of existence depend upon the person's karma and most importantly his/her last thought-moment. Each of us has a past karma brought forward to this life and further karma are added during the present life. Karma can either be good or bad influencing our present and future lives. It is also this karma element that differentiates people, why some are born to wealthy families while others to suffer poverty, yes, some more equal than others, some more perfect while others have some disabilities. The ability to improve one's good karma rest in oneself, not with the Buddhas. So, do good, don't do evil is the advice of all the Buddhas.

• Like 1

Well, as an Atheist and a Materialist (Physicalist) it is my understanding that we get only one chance at life.  Don't do it right?  Too bad.

Bottom line:  Live in the "now" moment.

• Like 1

Well, as an Atheist and a Materialist (Physicalist) it is my understanding that we get only one chance at life. Don't do it right? Too bad.

Then does ur consciousness survive this present life's physical death?

Bottom line: Live in the "now" moment.

Edited by taoteching99

1.Atheist(No God),Materialist(Consciousness byproduct of brain): Then does ur consciousness survive this physical death? No, just a product of the physical brain?

2. Live in the now : meaning? Eat ,sleep and enjoy life?

You answered your own questions.  I need not speak.

I dunno.  Not sure if anyone does for sure.  Or if I'd trust them if they told me.

I'm hoping some personal insight is gained through deep meditation.  None yet :) .  

I've had dreams where I've died.  After some moments of panic, I relax,  accept, repeat who I am and unafraid, see what comes next.  Course I've also had minor heart surgery where I've had enough consciousness to hear the surgeon say "Well this isn't going well" and done pretty much the same thing in real life. 

• Like 3

I dunno.  Not sure if anyone does for sure.  Or if I'd trust them if they told me.

I'm hoping some personal insight is gained through deep meditation.  None yet :) .  

I've had dreams where I've died.  After some moments of panic, I relax,  accept, repeat who I am and unafraid, see what comes next.  Course I've also had minor heart surgery where I've had enough consciousness to hear the surgeon say "Well this isn't going well" and done pretty much the same thing in real life. 

Yeah, I expect disagreement with the perspective I have presented.  I haven't died yet so I can't say anything first hand.

An alternate perspective that is compatible with my philosophy is that when we die everything that was once us is recycled and reused, but not reincarnated.  What was is gone.  What becomes of what was is not known because I don't believe anyone has died and returned to tell us what happened.

• Like 2

So the question here is:

1. What (do you believe )happens after death?If u hv memories of some past lives,how does that shape ur practice(before vs after the recalling).Certainly, recalling of previous existence is strong 'evidence' to the continuance of future ones.

2. To what extent our temperament/tendencies continue in the afterlife, ? And if strong sexual desires (or aversion etc. .)doesn't get dealt with in this present life ,how will that shape the environment we will be born afterwards?

2. Any recommended readings , websites etc..?

3. If one has interest of recalling previous lives,how important is (a)deep state of calmness and (b)the directing of attention/focus while in the calm/hypnotic state

in achieving this?

For now,this is all I can think of .

Thanks

1. I always wondered why we think about death when nobody knows what that is. When you are in the wilderness, you realize what happens when a living being is gone. When is gone is gone. Also, I noticed we as living beings are scared to die even for those who pretend they are ready, it is part of our being condition to hang in living. Myself, I see as we get older, the years are counted and it can happen any time. In your 50s and under you don't even think about that until something really happens in your health when you become concerned. Bottom line, when we die, we die, we are gone and our memories of our experience will be remembered for little time, after that nobody cares and it was just a memory we spent sometime here.

2. I don't think after life exists, it is a promise to keep you dreaming or hoping in this moment. Sexuality varies from individual to individual and since humans tendency to harm themselves mostly by eating they damage their internal organs and sexuality is affected.

Sorry to disappoint you but I am maybe too practical and others seem to have similar view.

I agree with Marblehead, it took me a while to accept it and understand it.

Unfortunately it happens only once until it breaks and fall appart:

animated-light-bulb-gif-28.gif

• Like 1

If one believes in reincarnation (in whatever form), fearing death is irrational unless one clearly remembers a horrific previous life (and then only if one also believes current choices have no influence on the next incarnation, which isn't a philosophy I've heard of). If one believes life is a single-shot and then the plug is simply pulled, fearing death is irrational, period. If one believes life is a single shot and then an external state is entered which is based on one's behavior or belief, fearing death is irrational because that outcome is within your control today.

<shrug>

What am I missing?

Edited by Brian
  • Like 2

If one believes in reincarnation (in whatever form), fearing death is irrational unless one clearly remembers a horrific previous life (and then only if one also believes current choices have no influence on the next incarnation, which isn't a philosophy I've heard of). If one believes life is a single-shot and then the plug is simply pulled, fearing death is irrational, period. If one believes life is a single shot and then an external state is entered which is based on one's behavior or belief, fearing death is irrational because that outcome is within your control today.

<shrug>

What am I missing?

You are missing rationality LOL

We dont so much fear death as we fear not having lived life to our own satisfaction.  When we die all of our unlived someday-I will-hopes die with us.  

• Like 1

We dont so much fear death as we fear not having lived life to our own satisfaction. When we die all of our unlived someday-I will-hopes die with us.

<raised_eyebrow>

That seems... illogical.

;)

I understand but... -- I would call that anticipated regret and it seems irrational to fear that one might experience regret in the future over options not chosen in the past.

Is this really a common thing? (Serious question -- it just seems so... ummm... irrational... to me.)

• Like 1

I suspect the mind interacts without the body in death, much the way it does in dreams.  This I think is why the setting and atmosphere of the mind is so crucial for the death transition and why, say the Tibetans for example, put such emphasis and have such broad and deep processes and practices training the mind and dream work.

My experiences outside the body are nearly identical to my lucid dreams.

My wife's short death experience, (several of the longest minutes of my life), supports this as well.

• Like 4

<raised_eyebrow>

That seems... illogical.

;)

I understand but... -- I would call that anticipated regret and it seems irrational to fear that one might experience regret in the future over options not chosen in the past.

Is this really a common thing? (Serious question -- it just seems so... ummm... irrational... to me.)

Well, let`s just say I`m not known for my rational mind.  Let me reframe the general idea so the timeline isn`t so twisted.  I believe there`s an inverse relationship between present-day life satisfaction and fear of death.  So, in general, the less satisfactory the life, the more fear of death.

Suppose we came up with a questionaire that validly and reliably measured how engaged people were with the things they wanted to do in life (using that as a proxy for "life satisfaction").  Let`s throw out the data at the very bottom, say the 5% unhappiest folks.  Some of those people are probably depressed in a way that makes them more open to death.  My contention is that the people in the happiness range of say the bottom 5 to 30 percent are more afraid of death than the happiest 10 percent at the top.  

It`s counterintuitive.  You`d think that the people leading subjectively crappy lifes would be less afraid to die, but I don`t think it works that way.  

Do you disagree? 

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

There are lots of people today who practice astral projection. A lot of them use Robert Bruce's techniques for easy projection. You can find them online in various forums, discussing techniques, travels and tips. A lot of them report about a plane where deceased loved ones gather to live and relax after death. Supposedly it's not the final place for the soul. It's a nice idea though, and it warms my heart :).

A good day to you all.

Actually you're not really around to experience what's going on now either: it's just that the light seems to be on where it's happening.

• Like 2

Its like every single dream and nightmare in one's lifetime, all of it gets replayed, only this time there are no gross impediments to filter the vividness. For example, while alive, if a nightmare gets too extreme, survival instinct kicks in and usually jolts a person awake, accompanied by bewilderment for a brief moment. After the body disconnects with the breath for good, there won't be the luxury of accessing any such instinctual support, and what follows in the interim are usually unimaginable confusion and fear, then a period tinged with immense affection, warmth, love, light and so on, with both phases occurring randomly. But the clarity during this period is beyond anything ordinary people will have any recollection or familiarity with. This is one of the reasons why the majority of people have this primordial fear of death - apparently its because of a build-up of frightening memories, over many many lifetimes, of past intermediate (after death) experiences. 

There are many adepts from different traditions and shamans from all over the world who cultivate what is commonly known as 'death practice', which means they are able to mortify the body to such an extent where death can be simulated. Depending on the degree of their mastery, the intermediate experiences can be recounted, some with pin-point accuracy. There have been books written of a common thread that is shared by all these shamans and adepts insofar as this practice is concerned. I read one years ago, but cannot remember the title now. 

• Like 3

I believe there`s an inverse relationship between present-day life satisfaction and fear of death.  So, in general, the less satisfactory the life, the more fear of death.

Nice theory but I think it needs more work.

Uncertainty leads to discomfort, which leads to exploration, which returns to discomfort, ......

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this