jah2017

Howdy! Advice on qigong teachers please...

Hi

I am new to this site and found it as i am a newbie to qigong and would like to have some advice on what teachers would be a good place to start. I'm imagining those with DVD's that i can buy to begin with. I would like genuine, authentic ones please, not just commercially famous.

I am based in Essex, England and dont believe there are any close to me but if anyone knows differently, please let me know as ideally i would like classes rather than just DVD/video but they would be a good starting place.

So far all i have done is a Lee Holden Udemy course on Qigong for beginners but have no idea if he is teaching authentically or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks

James

• Like 2

Hello jah2017, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi James,

Lots of info regarding your interests.  Make sure to ask your questions in appropriate threads.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

Welcome!

You have come to the right place to get advice, that's for sure. Whether or not its useful only you will be able to determine.

• Like 3

Qigong is not Qigong.

Different systems have different goals and effectiveness.

The range is from "relaxing" to "building up internal power (nei jing)",

"one beginners exercise" per DVD to "professional and complete system" in a DVD set.

Accordingly is the range in prices for DVD's.

Oh, and the most important range is of course "complete fraud" to "the real deal".

What are your goals, what do you want to achieve?

Edited by Wells
  • Like 3

Unfortunately, they do not grade the fraud-real deal scale on the dvd.

True, but thank god I am here to clarify those things.

• Like 2

While you might not be able to find 'authentic' qi gong close to you, there is a good chance there is tai chi or yoga studio that can help you lay a foundation, of breathwork, meditation and body awareness so that when you do find something authentic you'll be ready. 

So check out what's nearby.  Get involved, see what connects and what you can learn.  Once you get involved you'll find sources that will get you closer to the art you want. 

• Like 6

True, but thank god I am here to clarify those things.

My role on TDB is to make silly jokes and general trolling.

But back to topic.

If you got the money, a two-to-several days seminars can be a useful alternative.

I have found teachers within Energy Arts knowledgeable, and if you later decide to change to another method you will continue to have use of what you have practiced.

In the end, choosing a method is like dating you never know what you will form a longer relationship with.

• Like 4

My role on TDB is to make silly jokes and general trolling.

Agreed. And mine is to do the logical thinking and the checking for results.

If you got the money, a two-to-several days seminars can be a useful alternative.

I have found teachers within Energy Arts knowledgeable, and if you later decide to change to another method you will continue to have use of what you have practiced.

In the end, choosing a method is like dating you never know what you will form a longer relationship with.

The OP hasn't even defined what he is looking for and what goals he wants to reach

and you have not defined what results you have got with the source you are recommending anyway.

The usual on thedaobums: People talking past each other without realizing...

Edited by Wells
  • Like 1

and you have not defined what results you have got with the source you are recommending anyway.

Nope, I didn't.

Technically, I didn't stay long enough with those methods to get any specific results. My time with Energy Arts was more like having a mistress, and after a while I went back to my true love. But I learned really good ways to work with the spine, the kwa, pulsing, and a lot of other stuff that fit very well with my main practice.

And what kind of results do I get from my main practice?

Never mind, it is hard work and I wouldn't recommend it. Choose a less demanding path.

• Like 2

Hey all,

Firstly thank you for all the responses and a big apology for such a slow reply...i didnt realise i had any replies for ages, maybe i need to turn on notifications or something?

I am looking at Qigong to deepen my spiritual life/journey, healing and growth of internal energy. 

Over the last 3 years i've been on a journey from repressed emotions, no feelings, no connection with my body to now being able to feel emotions and energy but i want to deepen that hopefully continue to remove anymore energy blocks. 

I now assist on the Primal/Self Awareness course i went on 3 years ago which changed my life so i am also interested in energy for healing others, being able to read others energy better and also to grow/deepen my knowledge/power of my own energy.

I guess i am still very naive with Qigong, initially just thinking there was one main way but with lots of different teaching styles but it looks like i've stumbled upon a bottomless pit of types, styles, teachings...!! :wacko:

I am interested in Spring Forest downloadable courses...any experience with these?

So any information, advice and pointers would really help!!  :D

Thanks

• Like 1

I like SFQ...it was my first qigong. It will take you far if you practice daily

Edited by Rakiel
  • Like 1

Thank you both. It puts my mind at rest that im not wasting my time and money on a poor system!

Rakiel, did you do all of the levels SFQ offers? And is there any reason it was a first qigong (im presuming from that that you moved on to advance your practice as SFQ couldnt offer that to you?)

Have a great day :)

• Like 1

I haven't discarded the SFQ material; although I've branched out to other things as well. I have only done the level 1 material -- but there is a lot there. One could spend many years perfecting and discovering the subtle energetic aspects of the forms.

I learned about SFQ through reading the posts on this forum, but it also resonated with me at a deeper level.

• Like 1