s1va

extreme sensitivity to sound

Lately there is lot of sensitivity to sounds.  Not sure what to do about this.

Sudden sounds annoy or trigger a minor shock.  I felt like hammering my cell phone some times.  I couldn't, it will be very expensive to replace it.

I can emphathize with you here, as my wife has been dealing with this for much of her life and it has at times been very debilitating for her. Not to mention it can be rough on those around her, when we become the source of her discomfort, while doing what are considered, normal, necessary, or even loving actions.

Her sensitivity manifests in waves and as we have tried to ferret out its source, it appears to be closely related to deep emotional trauma from her childhood.  All I know is that certain sounds can put her directly into crisis mode... much like soldiers and those civilians who have been in war zones exhibit in PTSD.

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear that your wife has to deal with this lifelong.  My best wishes for her and to you.  I can imagine how hard it can be.

Luckily, in my case this is not a constant issue.  It is not present all times during the day or night.   It just started about a month back.  There has been some energy surges, mostly in a very positive way.  Except for this super sensitivity to sound, everything else seems pleasant.   Sometimes, I seem extremely sensitive to sound, and snap.  Then it passes away completely and I am normal.  Definitely seems fleeting in my case.  I can also hear things from distance which I couldn't before.  Not all times of the day, happens at some times.  I always head some minute sounds, which many others did not seem to notice.

Still, it would be good to know how to deal with it when this comes and goes temporarily.  

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words.  She is a remarkably resilient one and handles it with grace.

Your last comment reminded me that for a few weeks, about a year ago... usually during my sitting practice, but on and off throughout my days as well, I would experience a very intense inner scent.  I say inner because no one else nearby could smell anything different... yet for me, it was potent, pungent, earthy and oddly soothing.  This lasted for a few weeks on and off.  I haven't experienced it in almost a year now.

We are such complext beings.  It's no doubt that as we work on the subtle levels, all manner of oddities and new sensations come about.  I hope it passes soon.  All the best mate.

• Like 1

Sounds annoying! Sorry you're dealing with that. When I was younger, I was very anxious and nervous and I remember one of the side effects was being easily startled. If a car honked while I was walking nearby, my body would be shocked way more than it should.

I noticed that the more relaxed I became overall, especially with my nervousness and feeling of being judged - it slowly disappeared. I was also meditating and becoming healthier over this period of time, a lot of variables so I'm not sure which worked. I would say though that the cause was my nervous system was weak and not resilient.

I think perhaps you may be stressed, and possibly high strung right now. Have you been straining too hard in your meditations, or not grounding enough afterwards. Hope you figure it out. 

spiritmapper.com

Find and share sacred places around the world.

Edited by Phosphorose
  • Like 1

I've had a condition called hyperacusis which is basically a lowered threshold of tolerance for noise.
It came in pair with a kind of a "broken speaker" effect in the ear particularly when high pitched sounds would reach me.
It was horrible. It lasted about 3 years. For first few months I couldn't walk outside the house.
Clock ticking was a torture. For the next 2-3 years I had to be very careful and was wearing ear plugs all the time.

It started kicking in after taking acid of questionable authenticity...

Did I mention I have had tinnitus even before that happened?

So it was gradually going away(the hypersensitivity) but what helped most was acupuncture.
It didn't clear it completely, and I still had this annoying broken speaker effect in right ear.
I believe water fasting took care of it.

I still have some mild sensitivity which is mostly because of all the trauma I have had imprinted when I had this incredible ear PAIN and migraines for such a long time. Physically my ears are fine, or so the doctors say.

I believe it has to do with the tension in the head. I had a head scan which showed that one vessel is a bit too close to the nerve and when there's too much pressure it squeezes it. Or something along these lines.

They say things like you should never be around total silence because the ears get weak or something.
I've spent 3 years sleeping with rain or forest sounds from YT in the background.
It didn't take the tinnitus away, but surely helped with the sensitivity.

It's almost impossible to actively relax that thing. At least for me. No matter how much I tried to relax my body.
So just avoid things that aggravate it like alcohol and drugs. And set your phone ring to something soft with no high tones pronunced.

Hope it helps.

I think perhaps you may be stressed, and possibly high strung right now. Have you been straining too hard in your meditations, or not grounding enough afterwards. Hope you figure it out. 

I am not quite sure if it is stress, could be.  But, I am not grounding enough afterwards.  Thanks.  There has been some powerful energetic experiences lately. I should be mindful of this and do more grounding activities.

• Like 1

I am not quite sure if it is stress, could be.  But, I am not grounding enough afterwards.  Thanks.  There has been some powerful energetic experiences lately. I should be mindful of this and do more grounding activities.

I've learned from one Yogi teacher, that not sitting in silence after practicing is like baking a cake then throwing it away. The real stillness and inner changes come from the silence after the meditation, not from the energetic practice itself. Definitely try that out, hope it helps.

spiritmapper.com

Find and share sacred places around the world.

Edited by Phosphorose

I've learned from one Yogi teacher, that not sitting in silence after practicing is like baking a cake then throwing it away. The real stillness and inner changes come from the silence after the meditation, not from the energetic practice itself. Definitely try that out, hope it helps.

I do sit in silence.  Actually lie down on savasana and rest the entire body and mind.  No matter what, sometimes a bit of excesses happen.  I am trying to focus on other activities like trying to be close to the nature.  This is something that helps a lot, something I really miss, at a loss to be able to do with the current living conditions.

I recently read about the Trees on the forums here.  The city life has pretty much moved me away from nature in many ways.  I have to connect back.  This is challenging in the environment I live now.  Densely populated major city, close to one of the largest international airports.  The constant sound of the planes, the blinding lights from the city and airport, that make it hard to see any stars in the night sky.  

Trees can hardly be seen, I have to put an effort, spend time driving to some place to be with some trees and a relatively quiet environment.  To prepare, go and spend some time and get back, it takes 2 to 3 hours.  This is not possible on every day life.  May be on weekends.  To see night sky with stars, I have to drive 2 hours (one way) from the city.

Ideally, I would like to live in a quieter place.  This is not possible at the moment.   I am unable to find a viable workaround that is practical and bring a balance right now -- while I work to change the place.  I would welcome any suggestions from others, who live in similar conditions in large cities.  How they connect with the nature consistently, the ways they found that worked for them.