Drifting_Through_Infinity

Are there any Taoist Monasteries in The United States?

I'm really wondering if there are. I would totally be gain to become a Taoist monk.

I'm 18 in less than a month and then I have to finish school but then I have to start my life. I think it would be cool to be a Taoist monk. Can anyone name any monasteries in The United States? Or maybe Canada?

Do your research, dao and Taoism can be a pretty loose terms.  Real monks live hardcore lives.  We're talking long hours of work, hours of meditation, hours of study, with little sleep or private time.   Doing a 3 to 4 hours of meditation a day, learning Chinese and studying the Taoist pantheon and Taoist classics, learning to 'eat bitter' are the bare minimum to show worthiness (I'm guessing). 

Here's an old thread that may have some leads- http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/1935-taoist-monastery-in-america/?p=17754

My guess is go to mainland China or Taiwan. As young as you are you can take advantage of the benefits they offer to foreigners. There are several YouTube videos of Americans and french who live in Daoist monasteries.

My guess is go to mainland China or Taiwan. As young as you are you can take advantage of the benefits they offer to foreigners. 

What are these benefits that you speak of?

What are these benefits that you speak of?

Language (written and spoken), direct lineage learning experience, exposed to Chinese culture and culture changes among others.

• Like 1

I'm not really looking to leave the united states; I don't want to be far away from my family here in the USA.

Hi friend,

Sorry if what I write now may sound a bit harsh. I am just being realistic and practical. And that's how things are. We live on Earth not a blissful heavenly plane populated by peerless devas. :) So here we go:

You are not ready to become a monk. Keep living the ordinary life...one day you'll be ready (or not) and then you'll LEAVE EVERYTHING BEHIND. That's the reality of being a monk. You can't live between both worlds, it doesn't work that way.

Good luck. :)

• Like 6

I have come to know many monks that started quite young and they are among the finest humans I have met.

Follow your heart and search on the web for an older Daoist school or teaching here in the USA. If they do not have monks ask them where would be a good place to consider.

You could also consider being a monk in mind and action. Perhaps college in Divinity school - Daoism or comparative religion.

You are certainly not too young to learn the great wisdom teachings and a monks life can be a very fine life. Cultivation among others is an intense and powerful experience.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 3

I'm really wondering if there are. I would totally be gain to become a Taoist monk.

I'm 18 in less than a month and then I have to finish school but then I have to start my life. I think it would be cool to be a Taoist monk. Can anyone name any monasteries in The United States? Or maybe Canada?

Just before starting to implement your idea, I would advice you to:

- work hard at least 8 hours a day 6 days a week for 6 months

- exclude any contacts with women

- make your food twice more modest

- start to study Taoist texts

- start being ready to do everything you are asked

- start being ready to have no secret practice for a long long time

- forget about free time

If after this you will sill intent to enter the monastery, then may be it is good time to ask yourself the last question: what benefits you want to obtain?

Rgrds, Ilya

Slightly over two years ago at the White Cloud Monastery in Beijing I met an elderly Daoist monk who said he was soon to relocate to Seattle to open a Daoist temple there at the request of his students there. Was a very nice guy. I have no idea if anything became of this or not, but might be worth looking into.