Sign in to follow this  
3bob

"eater of death"

The Brihadaranyaka Upanishad Chap. 3 (Sanskrit removed)

Commentary by Swami Krishnananda

".... Everything is destructible; everything is subject to death. Nothing can be free from the jaws of death. Now, Ārthabhāga asked Yāj avalkya: "Inasmuch as everything here is a 'food' for death which is the Devata, for whom death itself the food?" There is no escape from death. Death swallows everybody as if it is food. But is there a death of death? Is there anything of which death itself is the food? Can you tell me who is death to death itself? What is death? Which Devata, which deity, which god can eat death in the same way as death eats everything, so to say?

... "My dear friend! You know that there is a death for everything, and one thing can be swallowed by another thing. Fire is an eater of everybody. It can burn and swallow and destroy anything. But fire can be eaten up by water. If you pour a particular quantity of water, fire gets extinguished. So, in the same way as water can be regarded as an eater of death in the form of fire which is the eater of other things, there is an eater of that eater too. The meaning implied herein is that the eater of death is the Supreme Being

..." We are told this in the Katha Upaniṣhad. The Supreme Being is the swallower of death. That means to say, one cannot overcome death unless one resorts to the Supreme Being. Not before that can you escape transmigration. There cannot be freedom from birth and death, there cannot be therefore freedom from the consequent sorrow of life, until and unless the great Reality is realized. So, who is the death of death? Who is the eater of death? The Supreme Being, the Eternal, the Absolute, He is the eater of death, and no one else can eat death.

http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/brdup_audio/brdup-16.pdf

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, old3bob said:

a tough old nut to crack....

Yeah ~ in 2017 it was 3bob.

Now ~ old3bob with a hop.

Still hopping about death.

Much like Lady Macbeth.

th?id=OIP.Tr2-ESCTyX5KKd8PTgNKdQHaHl&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

The death of Macbeth.

Behold ~ your breathe.

th?id=OIP.Q-lBbxEo6z1qNsNyKH1saAHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=275&h=156

Yin Macbeth ~ please go to hell.

I am barely out of my pupa shell.

tumblr_inline_npw8ve4EZU1szd0uo_500.gifv

7 minutes ago, old3bob said:

who was that other guy, oh yea it was Hamlet....

William ~ old3bob is now too old to remember his Shakespeare...

old3bob ~ William wanted me to tell you not to think too much about death...

darkness.gif

He said ~ Be cool... stay young...

Excuse me ~ I am going to paint the town red.

A great weekend.

- Anand

• Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 6:54 PM, 3bob said:

.... Everything is destructible; everything is subject to death. Nothing can be free from the jaws of death. Now, Ārthabhāga asked Yāj avalkya: "Inasmuch as everything here is a 'food' for death which is the Devata, for whom death itself the food?" There is no escape from death. Death swallows everybody as if it is food. But is there a death of death? Is there anything of which death itself is the food? Can you tell me who is death to death itself? What is death? Which Devata, which deity, which god can eat death in the same way as death eats everything, so to say?

Hi old3bob,

3bob must have died at least fourteen times to survive as old3bob.

Is this what they call ~ aging?

It is now Saturday and I am enjoying my weekend ~ I am not ready to die anytime soon. I am defying death by painting the town red...

paint-the-town-red.gif

Shoo...

- Anand

P.S. Cliff's original...

My experiences with death were sublime beyond description.

I no longer pull back in disgust from decay.

I find decay to be the most sublime nourisher of Life.

Life is acquisitional, constantly seeking out more life to consume to add to it's process.

Death is giving, releasing.  Decay is the ultimate expression of nourishing and giving.

Life is nourished by the decay of Life.

The decaying Life in my belly this moment, nourishes the vitality of my living body.

Life and Decay are one fluid process.

Though I have never grabbed anything with the back of my hand... i have never been able to grab anything without the back of my hand being intrinsically involved.

• Like 3

On 1/28/2020 at 11:14 PM, old3bob said:

"Fear not"....

fear-the-walking-dead-rick-1440467808.gif

th?id=OIP.Kk1yxWQMPKCPl8SqFc3hxgAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

tumblr_njbnf5hDij1txp8nwo1_400.gif

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement

13 hours ago, silent thunder said:

We live and die in every moment.

But life goes on - with no lament.

yinyang.gif

On 3/7/2020 at 1:51 PM, silent thunder said:

My experiences with death were sublime beyond description.

I no longer pull back in disgust from decay.

I find decay to be the most sublime nourisher of Life.

Life is acquisitional, constantly seeking out more life to consume to add to it's process.

Death is giving, releasing.  Decay is the ultimate expression of nourishing and giving.

Life is nourished by the decay of Life.

The decaying Life in my belly this moment, nourishes the vitality of my living body.

Though I have never grabbed anything with the back of my hand... i have never been able to grab anything without the back of my hand being intrinsically involved.

This reminded me of your recent posts on death and decay -

https://strangeremains.com/2015/03/06/the-beauty-of-decomposition-in-japanese-watercolor/?fbclid=IwAR3G0YPBQ3PyAgqvuI1y4qdvxo_29Y8UfBihdu4-W_-8dJISW2wHcwPArdw

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steve said:

Wow, that is quite remarkable!

i had no idea such a trend existed in japanese art.

Thank you. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this