Sign in to follow this  
Fate

Quick question

Doing an academic paper on Daoism (living the dream!)

I'm looking for the passage where Zhuangzi says roughly the following:

"[Even the useless has its use]. Words too have their use.

Where can I find me a man who has gone beyond words so that I may have a word with him!?"

http://terebess.hu/english/chuangtzu.html

Using this site, which section can I find this story?

Naturally, thanks for the suggestion. However I do not remember the exact phrasing and ctrl+f for "beyond words" yields little and narrower searches like "words" or "have a word" hit nothing or too many

• Like 1

Hi Fate,

There are many places where he talks about "useless" and "words".

Here is speaking to he who has forgotten words:

Chapter 26, Section 13 Victor H. Mair

A fish-trap is for catching fish; once you've caught the fish, you can forget about the trap.  A rabbit-snare is for catching rabbits; once you've caught the rabbit, you can forget about the snare.  Words are for catching ideas; once you've caught the idea, you can forget about the words.  Where can I find a person who knows how to forget about words so that I can have a few words with him?

​Are you reading the Mair translation of the Chuang Tzu study that we are doing?

• Like 4

Here you go Fate:

The Complete Works Of Chuang Tzu Translated by Burton Watson ...

terebess.hu/english/chuangtzu3.html

But though you may be one time a ruler, another time a subject, this is merely a ... Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can have a word with him?" ..... When the messenger had left and Master Lieh Tzu had gone back into his ...

I found it using google search of the terebess.hu site.

Hope it's what you want!

Edited by cheya
  • Like 2

Thank you all. I noticed that and were I not pressed for time would spend a day catching up on and reflecting solely on Zhunagzi, Marblehead.

I resonate much more with the Zhuangi than Laozi, and am less concerned with how to rule the state or gain power than free and easy wandering. The style of Zhuangzi alone continues to draw me back to him, and I will definitely revisit this forum and dive deeper into the Zhunagzi

Edited by Fate
  • Like 4

Sign in to follow this