sshubh

SFQ vs Pangu vs Flying Phoenix for healing

Hi All,

I am considering a qigong system primarily for healing benefits.

After some readings, i have narrowed to these three:

1. Spring Forest Qigong

2. Pangu Mystical Qigong

3. Flying Phoenix Qigong

If anyone here can shed some light on how these methods compare in terms of healing benefits, it would be great.

Thanks for your advice!

• Like 1

Hi there, 

I have a TINY bit of experience with FP, a bit of experience with SFQ, and a fair amount of experience with Pangu (practiced daily for the past ~10 months). My assessment: they're all wonderful and powerful systems that can take you very far. You really can't go wrong!

Pangu and SFQ are both practiced quite broadly (several hundred thousand practitioners each) with testimonials of folks healing themselves of pretty much every type of illness. IME, there are probably more published examples of folks using Pangu as their sole therapy to treat a variety illnesses than SFQ. Some of the stories are pretty remarkable. 

There are a lot of positives to all 3. Personally, Pangu has resonated with me the most because of its simplicity, efficiency, and emphasis on morality. I also dig the Path of Life and the whole mystical backdrop of the system. 

If your goal is healing, I think they could all likely help you. The biggest determinant, IMHO, is which one you can see yourself practicing consistently for an extended period of time!

Cheers,

NYStudent
  • Like 9

Hi there, 

I have a TINY bit of experience with FP, a bit of experience with SFQ, and a fair amount of experience with Pangu (practiced daily for the past ~10 months). My assessment: they're all wonderful and powerful systems that can take you very far. You really can't go wrong!

Pangu and SFQ are both practiced quite broadly (several hundred thousand practitioners each) with testimonials of folks healing themselves of pretty much every type of illness. IME, there are probably more published examples of folks using Pangu as their sole therapy to treat a variety illnesses than SFQ. Some of the stories are pretty remarkable. 

There are a lot of positives to all 3. Personally, Pangu has resonated with me the most because of its simplicity, efficiency, and emphasis on morality. I also dig the Path of Life and the whole mystical backdrop of the system. 

If your goal is healing, I think they could all likely help you. The biggest determinant, IMHO, is which one you can see yourself practicing consistently for an extended period of time!

Cheers,

NYStudent

Hi, nyerstudent,

thanks for the account of Pangu.

This qigong has been on my radar for a while, and it appears you've used it with some success. I was wondering if you've received an in-person initiation, or just used the DVD as your practice?

Which one has the most body movement, and which one has the least? The one with the most movement is the healthiest and the one with little movement is the least healthy.

(I'm actually hoping someone knowledgeable will answer the question, it wasn't rhetorical)

Hi Rakiel,

I received in-person training for the Moving Form, and correspondence training for the Non-Moving Form (which is awesome! Similar theme to the moving form) and Healing Skills.

There's also a Pangu Mystical Qigong book which outlines the Moving Form; if you're hesitant to get the full transmission you can try out the exercise first from the book, and then decide if you want to go further. 

Hi Aetherous, 

Based on what I know about Flying Phoenix Qigong, that would probably have the most movement of the 3, but who knows. Pangu is designed to be practiced by the masses, including people with various disabilities, so it's physically rather 'light'. 

Cheers,

NyStudent

Edited by nyerstudent
  • Like 3

Which one has the most body movement, and which one has the least? The one with the most movement is the healthiest and the one with little movement is the least healthy.

(I'm actually hoping someone knowledgeable will answer the question, it wasn't rhetorical)

Aetherous,

Quiet on the outside, busy on the inside.

You can move energy without moving your body at all!

• Like 2

Aetherous,

Quiet on the outside, busy on the inside.

You can move energy without moving your body at all!

Of course...I'm suggesting that it's not as healthy to do so. The tissues need movement for health.

• Like 1

Of course...I'm suggesting that it's not as healthy to do so. The tissues need movement for health.

I would say yes to a point.

However the ability to move energy is not based on movement of the physical body.

So qigong should not be judged on the movements alone.

I feel that combining a qigong program with something like yoga or martial arts is the best, all around strategy for optimal health.

I've done martial arts for 2 decades now, but the health benefits I've gained from qigong in the past year has far exceeded my benefits of physical exercise. Even my taiji practice.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

I did a short divination for what each system offers you at this time: 

SFQ Offers

1. Action

2. Anxiety 

Pangu Offers

1. Envy

Flying Phoenix Offers

1. Rest and Rejuvenation 

2. Strategy 

Allow with me to share with you my interpretations. SFQ will offer you an initial jump to action and a feeling of being on the path, but will eventually leave you with a sense of worry and doubt, like you may or may not have taken the right path for you and this will cause you to fragment. 

Pangu will leave you feeling jealous and envious of other paths, feeling like you've been sold a false bag of goods (this i not a reflection of the system, just what it offers you at this time...it may offer something different later). 

Flying Phoenix will offer you some initial experiences of Chi, Stillness and Relaxation...but you will soon start to look elsewhere for other methods in a habitual pattern of trying to map the world. 

Advice Cards

1. Financial Constraints 

2. Caring Connections 

My interpretations of this is that you should approach your cultivation choices less from the idea of your making an investment and you want that investment to return dividends otherwise your wasting your time....instead base what you choose on a Heart to Heart connection. What methods you feel tug at your heartstrings and make you shake with joy. This will be a good yardstick for you in terms of how much benefit you will receive. Hope this was helpful. Cheers.

Edited by OldAngel
  • Like 5

OldAngel's comment on SFQ seems on point. Especially when you start to explore deeper into alchemy. You might begin to wonder what is going on in SFQ and whether there is a point moving 'further' with the system. Esp, I think, if you havent experienced anything profound yet.

However, it remains simple and accessible for the western student, and I have no doubt that ppl are experiencing healing via this modality.

In fact, whatever critique you want of SFQ qigong, you cant dismiss Chunyi's teaching package because he has packed in a lot of useful info And practice based on Chinese medicine and energy theory. SFQ's 'qi-ssage' is an excellent place to start connecting the energy dots. Even the finishing exercises of SFQ lvl 1 are great to practice daily. So, Chunyi adds value.

I would recommend his 5 Element exercises. I feel as a package they are more focussed and united than previous sets, and they include all the SFQ-eness of the other forms. It reflects a genuine evolution of SFQ practice, imo.

Just be wary about use of energy--pumping energy, raising energy up the body, etc. Particularly using reverse breathing and drawing energy up the body. And keep in mind that directing post-heaven energy might come at a cost, although SFQ seems to mitigate this to some extent via their philosophy of drawing energy from the universe with unconditional love.

All in all, isnt there a point in any practice where one feels doubt and anxiety?

I see SFQ as a tool rather than a system. But if you want to go further and see spirits etc, you can. Will it bring you into balance or out of balance? Chunyi meditates like 6 hrs a day and barely sleeps.

8)

• Like 2

OldAngel's comment on SFQ seems on point. Especially when you start to explore deeper into alchemy. You might begin to wonder what is going on in SFQ and whether there is a point moving 'further' with the system. Esp, I think, if you havent experienced anything profound yet.

However, it remains simple and accessible for the western student, and I have no doubt that ppl are experiencing healing via this modality.

In fact, whatever critique you want of SFQ qigong, you cant dismiss Chunyi's teaching package because he has packed in a lot of useful info And practice based on Chinese medicine and energy theory. SFQ's 'qi-ssage' is an excellent place to start connecting the energy dots. Even the finishing exercises of SFQ lvl 1 are great to practice daily. So, Chunyi adds value.

I would recommend his 5 Element exercises. I feel as a package they are more focussed and united than previous sets, and they include all the SFQ-eness of the other forms. It reflects a genuine evolution of SFQ practice, imo.

Just be wary about use of energy--pumping energy, raising energy up the body, etc. Particularly using reverse breathing and drawing energy up the body. And keep in mind that directing post-heaven energy might come at a cost, although SFQ seems to mitigate this to some extent via their philosophy of drawing energy from the universe with unconditional love.

All in all, isnt there a point in any practice where one feels doubt and anxiety?

I see SFQ as a tool rather than a system. But if you want to go further and see spirits etc, you can. Will it bring you into balance or out of balance? Chunyi meditates like 6 hrs a day and barely sleeps.

8)

Lots of profound questions which speak from experience.

The questions become personal in nature, not system based.

For instance, have I outgrown this system?

Judging by my teacher, is this the path I want to go down? Do I want to "be like him"?

Or can I use this, make it my own and have it take me to a different place?

Also,

What do I want out of this practice?

Do I want to be healthy, energetic and clear minded?

Do I want siddhis, laser like intuition and commune with the dead?

Jedi powers? Use of the Schwarz?

I think when it comes to someone who works 9-5, has a family and little time to decypher Neigong texts.... the systems in the first topic will take you the most distance with the least amount of work/risk (though steady work is still required.)

I think they would all work great, and the question comes down to, what suits you personally?

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 2

Lots of profound questions which speak from experience.

The questions become personal in nature, not system based.

For instance, have I outgrown this system?

Judging by my teacher, is this the path I want to go down? Do I want to "be like him"?

Or can I use this, make it my own and have it take me to a different place?

Also,

What do I want out of this practice?

Do I want to be healthy, energetic and clear minded?

Do I want siddhis, laser like intuition and commune with the dead?

Jedi powers? Use of the Schwarz?

I think they would all work great, and the question comes down to, what suits you personally?

This.  B)