onebir

Daoism in China

Has anyone managed to find a teacher in China? All the discussion here seems to be about teachers in the West - even though a few people do seem to in China...

Has anyone managed to find a teacher in China? All the discussion here seems to be about teachers in the West - even though a few people do seem to in China...

There are so many people out in China who know bits and pieces of both Buddhism and Daoism, and so they claim to be teachers. There are martial artists that know more of the bits and pieces but claim complete teachings. They also have qigong methods they would teach somewhat openly.

Daoist monks would teach, but if they don't know you, or feel no fate with you, they wouldn't give anything out.

There are teachers out here, but they do keep quiet from public eye...gov. reasons...lol

Finding one would be your blessings from heaven, for Daoism cultivates the Heavenly way, and Buddhism cultivates for any level of mind one wishes to attain...but mainly for becoming a Buddha...lol

So finding a teacher as open as people are in the west is not going to happen, unless you know someone.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

Finding a daoist master in china doesnt mean you will get anything better then anywhere else, IMHO but living and training in china under a daoist or buddhist would be good as living in China you learn to understand the chinese way of thinking and ways of doing things that is not in the west. So you can grasp why some of the teachings are as what they are cause of the cultural differences. But if its Nei Gung, chi kung or kung fu finding a teacher anywhere is hard to find especially in the art you want to cultivate.

WYG

I'm in China, and I don't want to go back to Europe. So my question was: "Has anyone managed to find a teacher in China?" as a prelude to asking how people who've found a satisfactory teacher how they went about it...

I realise guanxi are important in China and that there are lots of charlatans or people who exaggerate their abilities. But if I can understand how people have found good teachers, unless it's always been pure chance, perhaps I have some chance of replicating their success.

SURE, I DID.

SURE, I DID.

So my question was: "Has anyone managed to find a teacher in China?" as a prelude to asking how people who've found a satisfactory teacher how they went about it...

Ok - please tell us the story...

Ok - please tell us the story...

Well, almost by chance i have met a national of my country, who while being a professional synologist and a PhD level chinese linguist was also a fanatical martial arts and qigong practitioner. This man dedicated around 10 years of his life to searching all over China for the true teacher. He has found one, become his private student and accepted myself into the lineage.

Daoist monks would teach, but if they don't know you, or feel no fate with you, they wouldn't give anything out.

What do you mean "feel no fate with you"?

I'm in China, and I don't want to go back to Europe. So my question was: "Has anyone managed to find a teacher in China?" as a prelude to asking how people who've found a satisfactory teacher how they went about it...

I realise guanxi are important in China and that there are lots of charlatans or people who exaggerate their abilities. But if I can understand how people have found good teachers, unless it's always been pure chance, perhaps I have some chance of replicating their success.

I believe there are some great orginizations out in Europe and some great martial art teachers out there. I've read a few of them online. As to being complete systems and so forth. I don't really do doubt it but i feel its much better then it is out in the U.S. maybe I'm just thinking that the grass is greener on the other side

Procurator, are you in China studying directly or is more like the David Shen type students who travel to China for a few weeks a year?

Thanks

Michael

What do you mean "feel no fate with you"?

Daoists usually look to the fate between them and a potential student. If the student has potential, and good karma with the teachings and or with the master as well, then the master would impart some methods to them.

That is what having fate is in the Daoist school.

Peace,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

Daoists usually look to the fate between them and a potential student. If the student has potential, and good karma with the teachings and or with the master as well, then the master would impart some methods to them.

That is what having fate is in the Daoist school.

Peace,

Lin

Mind explaining "what having fate is in the daoist school" like i'm stupid.

From my understanding your saying that if the fate of a person is good. Then a Taoist teacher will impart some methods to them. Meaning that the student themselves have great potential in them.

But my understanding of Fate is Fate deters what your path, for a simple and easy example, like desire. Destiny is that which you must fulfill in this lifetime. It is believed your born with a task, or tasks. During your life, you must continually strive to identify it and complete it to its last detail. This is no simple errand. People take there whole life to do this.

Then it gets into a discussion about Karma and past lives. The issue we talk about the complexities of transcending the consequences of past lives. Yeah anyway gets into a discussion I don't know enough about to want to start a topic about it.

Now that i think more about it and the way your saying it are you saying if the person fate isn't so bad, that he has little to overcome to become a great student?

Cool, what system you training?

Wu-Lu Pai.

Procurator, are you in China studying directly or is more like the David Shen type students who travel to China for a few weeks a year?

Thanks

Michael

i travel.

:)

Fate is if you have affinities with that teacher, and the teachings. Nothing more :)

So are you then claiming unless you have fate with a teacher then they basically will not teach you. I mean except for special circumstances?

Well, almost by chance i have met a national of my country, who while being a professional synologist and a PhD level chinese linguist was also a fanatical martial arts and qigong practitioner. This man ...

Are you talking about David Shen?, of the foundation training forum?

Is David Shen associated with the teacher/lineage that you are studying with?

So are you then claiming unless you have fate with a teacher then they basically will not teach you. I mean except for special circumstances?

Yes, and Some teachers would take a student if the student presents a good amount of money. (In China)

Even if it seemed a teacher was being sincere, it is because of fate with that student. Which is not hard to create. All one needs to have in their mind when looking for a teacher, is a humble manner, and constantly intending to meet one.

In the end, any teacher one finds, is not by chance. It is fate. Fate goes deeper, and is controlled by one's own mind. It can be changed, and can be fixed. Fixed means not changeable. Its quite easy to create affinities with people. Just keep in mind of meeting them, and with enough concentration, one will begin meeting people who know people...

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

Wu-Lu Pai.

i travel.

You mean the necromantic gourd school?
The gourd is an ancient Taoist symbol of longevity and good health, but also a symbol of release. It is the emblem of Li Tie Guai, one of eight immortals of Taoist mythology. Li Tie Guai was a powerful magician who possessed not only the secret to immortality, but the ability to travel outside his body. Li carried the elixr of immortality in a gourd, which is an allegory for the body as the container of the soul.

The gourd is known as the "precious gourd" in Feng Shui, and considered a receptacle of good fortune.

Curiously, the gourd also symbolizes resurrection and life in Christian theology. The gourd shelters the unfortunate Jonah, and is viewed as an allegorical symbol of the resurrection of Christ.

glossarygourd.jpg

Also, there's a distinction between "ming" and "yuan fen" in Chinese culture.

"Ming" is fate - and considered a very strong influence that was almost unavoidable.

"Yuan fen" is more like serendipitous synchronicity that was somewhat predestined...but also required action to happen.

I'm not sure if these high Taoists really required "ming" or just some "yuan fen"...or lacking all else, maybe just a lot of RMB, lol. ;):D

You mean the necromantic gourd school?glossarygourd.jpg

Also, there's a distinction between "ming" and "yuan fen" in Chinese culture.

"Ming" is fate - and considered a very strong influence that was almost unavoidable.

"Yuan fen" is more like serendipitous synchronicity that was somewhat predestined...but also required action to happen.

I'm not sure if these high Taoists really required "ming" or just some "yuan fen"...or lacking all else, maybe just a lot of RMB, lol. ;):D

Ah, nice and i look up to you. For I have just a little here and there but ultimately not read much on Taoism but the little I have is the translations in english. Therefore my understandings might be weakly represented. meaning, my understanding the certain words and meanings in english when it doesn't exactly apply to the english dictionary as the verbatim, but yet similar. For example,

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Fate

Definition 1. and 3. are alright definitions but don't think it still does the word justice. The translation what i meant to talk about is "Ming" as Vortex as so well pointed out.

Thanks Vortex for the translations I personally really appreciate information like that. It adds to my understandings and translations.

What i was trying to point out is. If you yourself are part of the Ming of the teachers life, then the teacher isn't really a master. Or rather should I say he might be a teacher, might be a master, but he has not yet mastered Fate.

I do strongly agree with Vortex and truly believe with 100% of my heart that Fate, or "Ming" is almost impossible to avoid and you it is as a stepping stone you must over come no matter how hard it is just to come closer to become more spiritual, or what i believe is roughly translated in english to become your destiny.

Only my understandings from what I have studied and once again they are not very vast in knowledge.

I have a name and contact info of a Daoist master that lives in Beijing, and is a friend of my master.

He charges quite a heavy price, and if you are not fluent in Mandarin, you have to hire a translator.

He's a former monk at Wudan mountain.

PM me and I'll make some phonecalls.

h

I have a name and contact info of a Daoist master that lives in Beijing, and is a friend of my master.

He charges quite a heavy price, and if you are not fluent in Mandarin, you have to hire a translator.

Thanks for the offer - but my experience with Chinese teachers who charge a heavy price has been quite negative...