Sign in to follow this  
Deltrus

Hello, I'm someone with CFS trying to get better, and also understand meditative arts from a scientific perspective

I probably wont post much, maybe just a few questions. I want to post on the Flying Phoenix Qi Kung thread, just a few questions and maybe a request for him to sell his stuff through online means. 

I have a solid scientific background, but I'm also not stuck in the constrained thinking that most western scientists are in. There are a whole host of questions that modern day science cannot answer, especially to do with the concept of awareness -- awareness of thought and sensation. This is where I'm focusing on. 

I actually have a few theories on how meditative arts may work, but if  I mentally strain myself too hard then my energy and health could potentially crash for weeks. I really want to start blog posting on the stuff I thought up. 

I really believe that there is a real physical phenomenon going on in our bodies, something very beautiful. When this phenomenon is understood and observed, it will go mainstream.

• Like 4

Hello Deltrus, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Deltrus,

Joining discussions here becomes addictive.  Seems your interests are in line with many of the discussions that have and are taking place.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

Yeah, at least that is pretty much the only diagnosis in the west for fatigue lasting 1+ year. It is synonymous for "no idea what is making you ill". >< They know nothing about it at this moment really. In fact my doctors wont even give me a diagnosis other than depression, but my mental health is pretty good unless you consider the extreme low energy.

Honestly from an Eastern perspective, I probably have something wrong with my liver and maybe poor qi flow and reoccurring blockages. I benefitted a lot from very basic zhan zhuang and 8 brocades stuff. In particular, my tongue turned pink when it was very white for 4 years. But I feel my qi just keeps on going back to how it was mostly, like there is something pushing me back down. 

My main symptoms that I can "sense" are almost completely stagnant qi flow around my liver and right side of heart. In fact, my right side has a lot of problems, especially along my liver meridian I guess, and along the right side of my spine. Especially if I eat fatty peppery foods, I get massive inflammation of nerves around these areas, which leads to a lot of damage. I hear that this is a sign of liver fire in  TCM?

I also often wake up around 3-5  am and have puffy inflamed eyelids, signalling that it is probably a liver issue. 

It all started when I had a very bad virus 4 years ago, I didn't have a lot of viral symptoms, mostly bad gas, uncomfortable sensations  all over that were like burning without heat, and extreme lack of energy so bad I could barely get out of bed. I missed multiple important exams for university and ended up dropping out. I ended up having bad depression for a long time due to this.  I also had a shoulder injury from something at this time. All this together completely destroyed my health. 

I don't think qigong will solve everything. Most likely I will have to fight every day to optimize my health so that different forms of qigong will even have a chance of working. I probably will have a harder time with it too, but hopefully once I practice it enough it will become easier. 

Edited by Deltrus

Ever heard of Cryptopyrroluria? It's relatively unknown but very common in the western world and can lead to cfs and a lot of other diseases. Ever had issues with your cervical spine? It often leads to cpu..

http://www.omundernaehrung.com/media/documents/en/Hoffmann_Kyra_Cryptopyrroluria_The_most_common_form_of_porphyria_A_typical_example_of_a_mitochondrial_dysfunction.pdf

Nevertheless, welcome and i wish you the best. FPCK is a great practice

Edited by phil48
  • Like 3

I probably wont post much, maybe just a few questions. I want to post on the Flying Phoenix Qi Kung thread, just a few questions and maybe a request for him to sell his stuff through online means. 

I have a solid scientific background, but I'm also not stuck in the constrained thinking that most western scientists are in. There are a whole host of questions that modern day science cannot answer, especially to do with the concept of awareness -- awareness of thought and sensation. This is where I'm focusing on. 

I actually have a few theories on how meditative arts may work, but if  I mentally strain myself too hard then my energy and health could potentially crash for weeks. I really want to start blog posting on the stuff I thought up. 

I really believe that there is a real physical phenomenon going on in our bodies, something very beautiful. When this phenomenon is understood and observed, it will go mainstream.

Hi,

Welcome to TDB,

Would like to make some comment ☺,

Why modern science cannot answer concept of awareness? Because awareness CANNOT be understood in a scientific,objective way.Its purely subjective.perhaps my view of ' awareness' is different from yours.

" I have few theories of how meditative arts work " - Agree wholly.but i would like to add, its equally important,if not more, to after considering the theories,find one that can be "practiced" so as to lead oneself to better understanding.

Thanks

• Like 2

welcome to the bums.

have you tried stopping gluten and dairy?

For some people that is helpful.

also keep under your ( physical/mental) possibilities. Many people think you can train back your health, but for me the reality is that when I do more than I can, all symptoms come back hard.

BES

• Like 3

Welcome, a lot of good ideas already presented here so I offer best wishes!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, I look forward to your insights.

and as you can see, the board can offer lots of advice.  I'm often guilty of that myself.  It's all meant in the best sense, but can come off as .. too much, take it with a grain of salt and sprinkle of pepper. :)

• Like 2

To me , studying meditation or Qi by a scientific way  always  smother the greatness of the subject  for in  most cases you end up with the so-called brain science stuff , limited to the little space  of a physical  skull , and its magnificent cosmological implication lost . In fact, in this field ,  people need to get accustomed to thinking  in Taoist  jing-qi-shen framework and test what they sense and discover  in their meditation ...  a philosophical mind is always more important than a scientific mind.

What you get is : "宇宙在乎手"  ( " Grasp the secret of this universe directly in your own hands") , not a trivial field  of science which belittles  you as only  a researcher . 

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 3

To me , studying meditation or Qi by a scientific way  always  smother the greatness of the subject  for in  most cases you end up with the so-called brain science stuff , limited to the little space  of a physical  skull , and its magnificent cosmological implication lost . In fact, in this field ,  people need to get accustomed to thinking  in Taoist  jing-qi-shen framework and test what they sense and discover  in their meditation ...  a philosophical mind is always more important than a scientific mind.

What you get is : "宇宙在乎手"  ( " Grasp the secret of this universe directly in your own hands") , not a trivial field  of science which belittles  you as only  a researcher . 

I'm beginning to discover this myself. The stuff I've been experiences daily feels like it goes beyond what can be comprehended through physical means, I'm even starting to believe in metaphysical stuff which is usually the territory of religion. 

Do you have any advice for learning "thinking in the jing/qi/shen framework"?

• Like 1

The stuff I've been experiences daily feels like it goes beyond what can be comprehended through physical means, I'm even starting to believe in metaphysical stuff which is usually the territory of religion. 

Let those thoughts flow.  They do not have to be attached to any religion.

• Like 1

These questions are asked respectfully (definitely no offence intended):

(1) Religions = various pathways to the Divine?

(2) The Divine is THE Divine?

My views on the divine pretty much come down to an amalgamation of a few of the most popular interveiws on batgap.com, but with my own opinions.

All I'm pretty sure of is that we will know everything at death, or there will be non-existance. That seems like a pretty good deal imo. There are a lot of hyper spiritual people that say that the life after death would be amazing and actually have a brand new system, or we reincarnate, or something like that. These people probably know a lot more than me. Religion seems to be a way to feel something already inside ourselves, be it the divine or THE divine or a part of physics we don't understand or an aspect of our brain. It's hard to say really. But yeah I'l know when I die. At any rate it seems no matter the standpoint, the idea seems to be to be that all of life is a lesson that we have to learn to love, be open, adapt, etc.

As you can pretty well see, I'm open to all religious/scientific standpoints at the moment, if you want certantity then maybe ask me in 50 years.

Hi Deltrus,

Thank you for engaging with my posting.

I like where you are coming from; seems like I have known you for a long time.

Why? It appears that my domain can collapse into yours fairly comfortably and you will not kick me out.

I bet that you are a living dualist. Why? Because you are both simple/complex. 

You have extra Buddhist seeds in your pockets? Can you give me some to reduce my suffering? 

Per the simple <=> complex continuum, I prefer to live more to the left.Will this make me a minimalist by your own definition?

No thank you - I do not want to wait for 50 years to know certainty. You can keep it all to yourself. Why? Yesterday night Buddha appeared in a dream and told me to meditate on impermanence.

PyL and PmDa.

- LimA

• Like 1

My minimalism refers to minimal life and possessions. Efficiency over excess. Seperate from thoughts and concepts.

My simplicity refers to concepts. Simple things, are just things as you see them. For example a leaf falling from a tree. Complex things would be thinking about the forces on the leaf, why the leaf is green, how the leaf is alive, whether the leaf is made of energy, whether the leaf exists in dimensions we can't see. And yet within all the complexity, a leaf is a leaf.

Edit: holy shit I just wrote like 5 paragraphs on the concept of simplicity, abstract thought vs non-abstract, spirituality and religion. But my ipad freakin' crashed on me. My goodness I had such muse there, all gone now though.

Edited by Deltrus
  • Like 1

I love how your questions inspire me to think so much. Haha. You're great. You should have seen what I typed up, before my ipad crashed. I really need a new tablet thingy.

I'm definitely not a busy body, just a busy mind. As for you, no idea. I think a question like that, I'd have to know you better.

Edited by Deltrus

Understand your typed loss. It has happened to me and will again. History repeats itself.

Here we have loss and pain; so what is meant by 'no pain, no gain'?

Like TDB. So far I have experienced camaraderie and lightness of being.

Glad to be connected thus to you.

Have noted your 'theoretical EVERYTHING and nothing'. For me it is - 'experiential ANYTHING or nothing'.

PyL and PmDa.

- LimA

On 2/20/2017 at 1:50 PM, Deltrus said:

I probably wont post much, maybe just a few questions ...  I really believe that there is a real physical phenomenon going on in our bodies, something very beautiful. When this phenomenon is understood and observed, it will go mainstream.

Hi Deltrus,

Can you post more, please?

It is such a pity that you "probably wont post much".

I know that you are busy.

But I cannot be not a busybody.

So you "probably" will post? Very soon?

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement of sentence.

On 3/23/2017 at 0:49 PM, Deltrus said:

I'm beginning to discover this myself. The stuff I've been experiences daily feels like it goes beyond what can be comprehended through physical means, I'm even starting to believe in metaphysical stuff which is usually the territory of religion.

Hi Deltrus,

I am now on a more serious mode.

I really hope that you have made some positive inroads since your initial posting.

Guess I do not have to hope because you are already on some good inroads.

How do I know? This is how a busybody reasons things out:

(i) "I have a solid scientific background, but I'm also not stuck in the constrained thinking that most western scientists are in".

(ii) "The stuff I've been experiences daily feels like it goes beyond what can be comprehended through physical means". 

(iii) 'I'm even starting to believe in metaphysical stuff which is usually the territory of religion".

See you are already en-route.

Can I give a little solid suggestion? Unlock your mind with laughter.

This you surely can. Want to bet?

- LimA

Hi Deltrus,

I took the liberty of visiting your profile page and read some of the postings there - from others and you.

These postings are very profound, intense, philosophical, reflective ... from 'livers' of life.

They are challenged by life and are challenging back.

I will revisit again.

I am now challenged by these 'livers' and their life stories.

My life thus far paled in comparison to some of them.

A few wake-up calls to mull on.

Marblehead - i had once jested that you were my 'Taoistical' hero. It is a joke no more.

You were in Vietnam. You came back. And now you are at TDB doing a great job.

My SALUTE!

Deltrus - you are in good company. March on - to the beats of your own heart.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement of sentence.

Sign in to follow this