Sign in to follow this  
Golden Dragon Shining

Manu

Manu-Samhita: “Meat can never be obtained without injury to living creatures, and injury to sentient beings is detrimental to the attainment of heavenly bliss; let him therefore shun the use of meat. Having well considered the disgusting origin of flesh and the cruelty of fettering and slaying corporeal beings, let him entirely abstain from eating flesh.” (Manu-samhita 5.48-49)

“He who permits the slaughter of an animal, he who cuts it up, he who kills it, he who buys or sells meat, he who cooks it, he who serves it up, and he who eats it, must all be considered as the slayers of the animal. There is no greater sinner than that man who though not worshiping the gods or the ancestors, seeks to increase the bulk of his own flesh by the flesh of other beings.” (Manu-samhita 5.51-52)

“If he has a strong desire (for meat) he may make an animal of clarified butter or one of flour (and eat that); but let him never seek to destroy an animal without a (lawful) reason. As many hairs as the slain beast has, so often indeed will he who killed it without a (lawful) reason suffer a violent death in future births.” (Manu-samhita 5.37-38)

“He who injures harmless creatures from a wish to give himself pleasure, never finds happiness in this life or the next.” (Manu-samhita 5.45) “By subsisting on pure fruits and roots, and by eating food fit for ascetics in the forest, one does not gain so great a reward as by entirely avoiding the use of flesh. Me he [mam sah] will devour in the next world, whose flesh I eat in this life; the wise declare this to be the real meaning of the word ‘flesh’ [mam sah].” (Manu-samhita 5.54-55)

“He who does not seek to cause the sufferings of bonds and death to living creatures, (but) desires the good of all (beings), obtains endless bliss. He who does not injure any (creature) attains without an effort what he thinks of, what he undertakes, and what he fixes his mind on.” (Manu-samhita 5.46-47) “By not killing any living being, one becomes fit for salvation.” (Manu-samhita 6.60)

Read more at: http://www.thespiritualscientist.com/2012/01/do-the-vedic-literature-allow-meat-eating-did-hinduism-adopt-vegetarianism-from-buddhism/

Edited by Sionnach

thus following laws and many practices that are great and possible for a yogi or that are needed for yoga type methods that also have and need a like minded support system or environment (commonly of householders & general society) that is conducive to such...

on the other hand if God or the gods made mankind with part animal body and related nature what do they expect?  Btw, living in a very moderate or tropical area  also makes for a big difference and changes most peoples food needs and its sources, for instance when part of mankind went through the earlier ice-age in north America, parts of Europe and Asia - details of which I'm not that up on.  

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

Concerning the people of Thule Strabo says of Pytheas, but grudgingly:[36]

... he might possibly seem to have made adequate use of the facts as regards the people who live close to the frozen zone, when he says that, ... the people live on millet and other herbs, and on fruits and roots; and where there are grain and honey, the people get their beverage, also, from them. As for the grain, he says, – since they have no pure sunshine – they pound it out in large storehouses, after first gathering in the ears thither; for the threshing floors become useless because of this lack of sunshine and because of the rains.

There are ways with some determination, innovation and foresight

umm, I meant a lot further back in time than that although surviving in cold climates or in non-farming areas and cultures still have a lot in common today. 

I thought the warriors and the business people are allowed to eat meat.  Does Vedas prohibit meat eating for everyone in any place?

I think we have to take such things in context, to which audience it was given, etc.

one would need to study up on Ayurveda for lots more details along these lines.

Sign in to follow this