I have been having not so great luck lately ( starting this year).

When I was traveling, my bag spent a week in Beijing ( but returned later to me).

When I got home, I got rear ended at the stop sign ( yet only concussion and no damage to the car). When I finally decided to use debit card ( instead of points accumulating credit card), my account got stolen right away and they took money somewhere far away ( my credit union refunded me money).

Yesterday I got a layoff notice...

Yet when I finally got tarot cards today ( I have not done it with physical cards for a very long time), the energy is good... Universe is trying to push me somewhere... but I have zero clue where...

Tarot's usually tell concise truth. Am I being tricked by the cards this time?....

Edited by qicat
  • Like 1

My experience of Tarot cards is that they help elucidate deeper issues or feelings that you were not that aware of. Once you then bring them into your conscious awareness, you are then able to evaluate them and, hopefully, resolve them.

For me, the bad things that have happened to you are, on the whole, due to the fact that the universe just does what it does. There is no ultimate rule that says things must run smoothly, and they often don't. And when they don't, we just have to work out how best to deal with them.

If the energy you felt from the cards was good, this could well mean that, inside, you're actually feeling ok about life.

If the universe if trying to push you somewhere, then the best way of doing that would be to get you laid off. Lots of changes in life come about from a challenge and a new start. As to which direction that is, I reckon you'll know what it is when it comes along.

Good luck, and sorry about the bad news you've had to deal with recently.

I can't remember the content of the story, but I remember reading some where here that a king wanted a present from his magician that made him happy when he was sad and sad when he was happy. The magician gave him a ring, and on the inside was inscribed the sentence '... and this shall pass ...'

• Like 1

I don't think the Tarot tricks anyone (I'm a big student of the Tarot btw). It's a tool, just like a spoon or a fork. Tools don't trick people. However, in a lot of cases the cards can be misinterpreted. Less often, they can also be ambiguous.

I'd be interested in what cards you drew and what the question was in order to offer a better analysis of what's going on.

My advice, without knowing that information, would be to draw an extra card to get some insight. But it depends on what the reading is.

What was your query (if any) and what cards (from what deck) did you get?

The query: show me the path?

Deck: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/cachet/

( I never used it before)

Spread: Celtic cross

Reading:

1. Present - Lovers

2. Obstacles - Seven of Wands

3. Future Influences - Four of Cups

4.Past Influences - 6 of cups

5. Past Events - 8 of swords

6. Future Events - Hanged Man

7.How you affect the world - 2 of pentacles

8. How the world affects you - 4 of swords

9. Hopes and Fears-4 of wands

10. Outcome - King of Pentacles

( no reverse cards)

Good luck, and sorry about the bad news you've had to deal with recently.

Thank you for kind words. I have Three Killings Stars in my Chinese chart this year. Plus, I am a Rooster. Poor chicken is getting all the energy delivered ( although part of this was still a Monkey Year though).

I was kind of expecting all of this, just observing the energy flows and learning about it. Not sure about manipulation part yet - as if you do not know the low/darkness, how will you know the high/light. At the same time, to what point do you allow Universe to beat you up? Is my non-doing too much? If the purpose is to take all the crap energy in and transform it, shouldn't it first check if the transformer can actually do it or needs some maintenance first?

Edited by qicat
  • Like 1

The query: show me the path?

Deck: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/cachet/

( I never used it before)

Spread: Celtic cross

Reading:

1. Present - Lovers

2. Obstacles - Seven of Wands

3. Future Influences - Four of Cups

4.Past Influences - 6 of cups

5. Past Events - 8 of swords

6. Future Events - Hanged Man

7.How you affect the world - 2 of pentacles

8. How the world affects you - 4 of swords

9. Hopes and Fears-4 of wands

10. Outcome - King of Pentacles

( no reverse cards)

Okay let's see. My interpretation would be:

Right now your focus (The Lovers) needs to be internal. Too much external focus on cause and effect vs. how you can improve your life is leading to a feeling of having to constantly fight against the world (Seven of Wands). This matches up with the negative experiences you are facing. Deal with them by turning the situations into lessons for yourself, and reasons to feel like you are bettering your life by your own hand. Before this troubling time, you were influenced by childhood dreams - the return to the peace and hope that you once had, or dreams and ambitions that you had when you were younger (Six of Cups). In general, that card is a message that motivation came from nostalgia. However, there's a sign that you'll find a lack of motivation in the future (Four of Cups) despite having many resources and options available to you. This pairs with the Seven of Wands because it reinforces the idea that facing the world by challenging yourself to improve vs. giving in to these negative circumstances will help you greatly. Additionally, it's interesting that your motivations are both cups - that's a suggestion that your emotions have a big hand in how you make decisions/motivate yourself. 

Let's see. And then the future is the Hanged Man - a sign of patience and suspense. You won't see quick results but you can expect good ones after A LOT of hard work. (Back to the Lovers again!) The King of Pentacles is an excellent sign of work, but it also is a huge indication that it's going to be a struggle to get there as far as self-motivation. So don't stop fighting.

For the rest of the cards, you have a balanced affect on the world - both giving and taking and doing neither more than the other (Two of Pentacles). That's a decent sign, but it's time to take that affect and grow it into something more. Take from the world what you need to grow and give back something beautiful to turn it into a King of Pentacles. The Four of Swords indicates that the world is wearing you down and it's a good idea to meditate right now ;) And the last card that you have, the Four of Wands, is a sign that you desire a feeling of content with your life.

Okay that was a lot, does any of it resonate with you? Overall I do see a positive message, but there's a strong sign of "push yourself!!!!" in the cards. Things will change slowly, but they will change well. 

• Like 1

Oh yeah and I should mention that I read purely based on what cards you picked, not the deck. I know to some people the deck matters, so my apologies if that's the case.

• Like 1

@azuce: I don't know about outright deception as in a malicious way (the trickster is an important archetype and teacher), but I have to offer the alternate viewpoint to Tarot cards being merely "tools."

Energy can have no personality and only qualities, and be manipulated as such. However the other view is that there are personalities and archetypes with their own flavors and intent at play here. This raises a thread in its own right that might already exist on this forum though, whether through mysticism we interact with personalities or we are just applying traits to mindless energy.

So of the former camp, each Tarot deck has its own "spirit" and personality. I have decks that will often be extraordinarily clear and accurate, decks that show me the hard truth, decks that are more uplifting and positive regardless of circumstances, etc.

I also have a friend whose interaction with cards lead often to confusing or muddled readings. We both have the same deck but each has its own "personality" and energetic feel to it. Going back to the earlier dichotomy it probably is a mixture of both our own personalities and energies interacted with the spirit of the cards that produce unique experiences.

I do think the deck matters, and I also know that Son of the Gods thinks anything but the most esoteric of decks (those that show nothing but the bare minimum suit/number) are trivial and a waste of time (not quoting exactly but I do know he didnt look fondly at such decks with personalities and colorful pictures).

• Like 1

@azuce: I don't know about outright deception as in a malicious way (the trickster is an important archetype and teacher), but I have to offer the alternate viewpoint to Tarot cards being merely "tools."

Energy can have no personality and only qualities, and be manipulated as such. However the other view is that there are personalities and archetypes with their own flavors and intent at play here. This raises a thread in its own right that might already exist on this forum though, whether through mysticism we interact with personalities or we are just applying traits to mindless energy.

So of the former camp, each Tarot deck has its own "spirit" and personality.

I was with you and in agreement up to here, as far as 'spirits' , archetypes and energies go, but I thought you meant each card in a deck * not the whole deck.

How does a deck become an archetype ?  Isnt a decks energy a combination of the deck creator's ideas and 'magical view of the Universe'  and its expression  with ones perception, interpretation and feelings about that expression ? 

It made more sense to me when I thought you meant each card, but then I re read .

I have decks that will often be extraordinarily clear and accurate, decks that show me the hard truth, decks that are more uplifting and positive regardless of circumstances, etc.

Is this from the  readings and outcomes or from the visuals and general feel about the deck ?

I also have a friend whose interaction with cards lead often to confusing or muddled readings. We both have the same deck but each has its own "personality" and energetic feel to it.

Would not that be more of the case that he is a different reader and erson and interacts with the deck differently to you ?  If the DECK had a specific energy then it would seem more likely that  the energy would carry over to different readers .

Going back to the earlier dichotomy it probably is a mixture of both our own personalities and energies interacted with the spirit of the cards that produce unique experiences.

Again, the spirit of each card or the whole deck ?  *

I do think the deck matters, and I also know that Son of the Gods thinks anything but the most esoteric of decks (those that show nothing but the bare minimum suit/number) are trivial and a waste of time (not quoting exactly but I do know he didnt look fondly at such decks with personalities and colorful pictures).

I agree a suitable deck does matter to the individual reader , but again, from what you attributed to SotGs,  that would apply to each card . 

[ I think the reasoning here is that  the more esoteric tarot users ( I am one ) see a pattern of energy, a combination of number, suit  , astrological  and kabbalistic energy with archetypal and mythic overlays and like to read FROM that source that the card indicates. While the less esoteric seem to prefer to read  the image on the card that the deck creator chose to represent the energy ......  when that is done .... things can get  real bad  ( I mean , I believe a great system is degraded .... not  predictive wise ..... and your cat might die     :)  )  ]

*   I was wondering if you knew about this ; the 'spirits' of the cards , 'some' use these as attributed to tarot ;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shem_HaMephorash#The_72-fold_name

one example is Duquette's Deck    ' Tarot of ceremonial Magicians '     (:not that I am at all keen on it  )   ;

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=0gyMPY1jBWUC&pg=PA127&lpg=PA127&dq=the+spirits+of+Shemhamphorash++and++each+tarot+card&source=bl&ots=JZf12ZngCQ&sig=wyCphdrinsjXmNaglHgYovzjemI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiO6f661obTAhVDj5QKHclaAnkQ6AEIHjAB#v=onepage&q=the%20spirits%20of%20Shemhamphorash%20%20and%20%20each%20tarot%20card&f=false

Edited by Nungali