Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

Aboriginal Australian wisdom

The longer I live in this sacred land, the more I love and respect their wonderful Indigenous population.

The Origins of the Faeries: Encoded in our Cultures – Part I

Parts II and III also in that link.

Enjoy! :)

• Like 9

They had many territories among themselves, they most surely practiced land ownership

aus_map_covered_text_lined.jpg

I don't claim to have an indepth understanding of Aboriginal culture, but my understanding is that the "territories" depicted in maps such as these aren't lands which are owned or possessed so much as areas populated and wandered across by particular tribal/language groups. It's a fine distinction, but also an important one I think.

I just got back from a stay in the Dandenong's outside Melbourne, and there's definitely an entirely different energy to a place like that. What's interesting is that even the descendants of European settlers seem to have picked up on it - the entire Dandenong ranges and the neighboring Yarra Valley are packed full of neo-pagans, wiccans, new-agers and the like. Most memorably, I stopped off at one redwood forest in the Yarra Valley and found it packed full of dozens of woven wooden circles, two or three meters across, with stones placed on the inside facing East (leftovers from a Summer Solstice celebration?).

The same effect can also be seen in North Eastern NSW around the Byron Bay area, which also has an extremely unique vibe to it and has attracted it's share of spiritual seekers (along, of course, with those who turned on, tuned in and dropped out in the 70's then never managed to drop back in :P ).

I think it's a shame that the Aboriginal culture has fallen apart to the extent that it has, and hope that more will be done to preserve it going forward. I'd love to speak to some indigenous practitioners who might better understand how to connect to the energy of the continent I've spent my whole life on - particular in areas like the desert and scrub lands which I often find harsh and uncomfortable.

Edited by Aeran
  • Like 4

It is a shame dear Australian friend. It's another genocide little talked about in the rest of the world, the media keeps on focusing on the Jewish one and forget about many others, and a tragedy of how such ancient spiritual culture and wisdom has been ignored and vilified by the Western invaders of this sacred land.

I haven't had the pleasure of going to Dandenong but I have been to Wollumbin and it was a full blast. Meditating in that massive crystal was a very 'energetic' experience. More about this sacred area:

http://www.wollumbindowsing.com.au/wollumbin.htm

As discussed on that link, I didn't like the sheer amount of people who go there and do it for the wrong reasons. The local council should implement restrictions, flood control and allow for the place to recover itself from excessive human impact and littering!! :(

Mt Barney area and the whole of Springbrook and Lamington National parks and rainforest are particularly significant. Aboriginal people don't like Mt Barney but I found it very channeling. My fist night there I thought I was dreaming when I heard what I heard (and for quite sometime not just for an instant) but it wasn't; another otherworldly experience in this magic land. :)

• Like 3

Which crystal is it you're referring to?

I've never been to Wollumbin specifically, but I've been to that area of Northern NSW quite frequently to visit family and I know what you mean about overuse and the abuse of the environment by tourists. Byron Bay is another good example.

It's a shame because the energy, vibe, natural scenery across that whole area is simply amazing, probably the best I've come across in Australia (Dandenongs would be second, but they don't have that mashup of mountain & ocean which makes Northern NSW so unique).

Like the Dandenongs, this draws a lot of people, but unfortunately, it seems to have also drawn a lot of of people without great intentions in this case, probably because of the areas association with the drug aspect of the hippy culture, and the great beaches making it a natural tourist magnet (and thus ripe for exploitations by corporations who would profit off the tourism).

I really hope that more is done to hold it intact for future generations, although given the direction our government is going, I'm not sure how confident I am. Fingers crossed...

Edited by Aeran

Hello again :)

Wollumbin is a giant 'crystal', and very Yang, it attracts a lot of female visitors. I noticed that every time I have been there.

Yes the whole area is a giant extinct volcanic region going all the way to Mt Barney National Park, another area with very strong energy.

I hope the littering stops! At least this. A plastic bag full of collected rubbish after each visit to this sacred Aboriginal land.

Regards :)

Yeah Australian Aboriginal wisdom has practical wisdom in it ......  if you call practical wisdom, stuff that allows you not to die when you 'out there' !   ..... I  or how survive for over 40,000 years without harming the environment that sustains them . or how to live wonderfully on 2 - 3 hrs work a day for necessities and have the rest of the time off for fun family and culture .   :)

Most of it smashed up now though  ... a lot is coming back . 

Their spirituality is vast and complex , eg. their moiety systems are  the most complex encountered , beyond me ,  so much so that it was a major reason I  never graduated anthropology . 

Are the above posts  practical wisdom ?   Thats a different question.

Byron Bay , meditating in giant crystals   .....  and other stuff    maybe its romantic bubble , but its better than ignorant racism . 

What many dont realise is ,    most of the stuff whitefellas know about this ......   its 101 kindergarten stuff , the stuff they teach the kids and beginners .  You have to  persevere , be open and humble, they won't bother teaching beyond that level if you not .  Why cast pearls before swine ( not that they would say that ..... but I would   -  they call me 'cheekyfellah '   :D   ) . 

When some learning is gleaned, the other sources  *           are seen and understood   in  different  focus  and perception. Its all hard to explain here . Its another world , but also this one .    Its a primal world , intense ...it scares some .  One doesnt really get anywhere in it with out good 'cred'  , I mean, they might be nice, and share and teach knidergarten stuff , and watch what you do, the next step is governed by your own behavior receptivitiy and abilities .  I have been lucky in that regard ..... got cred with peeps I dont even know !   

After what has happened, they convinced I have aboriginal ancestory , I dont know  .... I have a mystery unknown grandmother ... 'skeleton'  in the family closet , as it were 

I also do a stand up aboriginal comedian act  ... around the fire, in right company  .... of yeah , the right sense of humor is good cred ... they got great sense of humor ... subtle , different  .  The communicate so much more on the non verbal level. being a martial artist and being able to use a variety of simple weapons  ( staff, club ,oar, spear ) and showing them stuff ... the love that , and one of their top guys tell them that I am ;an initiated white fellah '  ... that makes all the difference !   Totally different relationship with them now . 

I have been allowed into a camp, full access -   no whitefellas ,   way up river,  bros livin ina  gunya , traditional style,  making  stone axes  ... wow !   I could sit there and look around and not see anything  modern  ....  like time travel back to before the neolithic !  

I note the comment about desert and scrub land being 'uncomfortable '  ......     yes,   its a little more so when you are lying naked on top of a stinging ants nest    ;)   

Euros / whitefellah  generally  have lost it  ....     many aboriginals have to , due to cultural degredation , but a lot is coming back .

On another site, yesterday I was writing about Ainslee Roberts, on of our greatest little known artists , he was a bit of a fop, so much so that his wife and sister thought he needed a holiday he got so pathetic hopeless and bought him an air ticket to Alice Springs  ( one way  :)  )   . Eventually someone there felt sorry for him - took him out desert to Palka Karrinya    ,  got 'zapped'  and ended up painting stuff like this 

palka karrinya   ' monolith '   **

( my images were 'not allowed'   on this site  ... ????   they were on the other site ?) 

anyway, check links  and google Ainsle Roberts Aust artist , pics  . 

Sleeping out in the desert near Palka  will do that to you  

Following-Warburton-s-1873-.jpg

The Palka Karrinya is situated at the entrance to a large gorge which is a sacred site that has been a focal point for ancient Aboriginal ceremony, still practised to this day. Central Mount Wedge is situated in the arid Western Desert of the Northern Territory and is approximately plum centre in the middle of Australia. The white explorer Peter Warburton came here in 1873 and his camels refused to enter the gorge to drink water. The site is only used for female rituals ( ‘womens business’ ) and the woman sing a ‘Bush Plum Dreaming’ song to  invoke sustenance for the country and it is communicative in that work is being performed here to keep the site active with everyday life and time.

On entering the Palka Karrinya gorge, it is tradition to circumambulate and touch the monolith stone representing the Jungarrayi ancestor, with a branch of eucalyptus –  first timers have to throw a stone in a rock pool nearby. This is why it is worn at the base.

From a Taoist perspective, all the horizontal strata of the rocks in the gorge and the red colour would create a very potent masculine Yang chi. Conversely the sole vertical shard, due to its vertical Yin orientation and the yin water in the rock pool next to it, would concentrate, by virtue of polarity, a powerful Yin feminine force.

Ainslie Roberts visited Palka Karrinya in 1956 on a tour of the sacred sites of Central Australia with Charles Mountford, who had an deep interest in Aboriginal art and culture. Charles was recording the rock art while Ainslie wished to retell the Aboriginal myths in painting, drawing and photography. Of all the sacred places that Ainslie Roberts visited in Central Australia, Palka Karrinya had the most profound influence. He believed that Universal archetypes manifested through myths and could be channelled by the artist. Mountford felt the original spirit of the land could be accessed through the ceremonies, art and myths of the Aborigines and glimpses of ancient powers and histories as old as time itself could be experienced. They used the services of an Aboriginal guide called One Pound Jimmy who currently features on the Aussie $2 coin

Ainslie went on to take up full time painting and the first book of his paintings of traditional indigenous beliefs and practises called ‘The Dreaming’ was published in 1965 and it helped to fill the abyss that existed between the general Australian public and the rich and ancient cultural heritage of Australia.

http://www.veniceclayartists.com/outback-art-inner-centre-centre/

*  Wardaman culture is pretty far out , great source of primeval astronomy/astrology , how it all connects to the land and progressive evolution of cultures and individuals through individuation and initiation stages in the human psyche .

http://lryb.aiatsis.gov.au/PDFs/aasj04.02_drew.pdf

http://www.emudreaming.com/index.html

***    not owners - custodians     *** 

Anyway .... best leave it to  ' them '    meet a friend of mine     ,    Uncle Lewie  ,  Nagunah Guran Gidabal  Bundjalung 

• Like 8

Is this practical wisdom or romantic bubble?

Indeed practical WISDOM. How to live real LIFE and be truly ALIVE. Europeans that invaded this land weren't alive before they arrived nor they are alive after they settled. They are all sleepy, ignorant and racist as Nungali stated.

Wandering Taoists, Kalahari Bushmen, Amazonian an North American Indians, etc. are more alive and understand the complexity of Gaia that ordinary urban humans and those who build fences and poison the land with greed and ignorance.

Blessed them for their wisdom of how to live a life fully integrated in Gaia.

Ah! Gaia this planet hosts many, many worlds beyond your imagination. The physical is only the baby layer, the easy part.

Further reading:

http://www.enlightened-spirituality.org/Shamanism_and_indigenous_peoples.html

:)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

Thanks for your wonderful post Nungali and for your having real exposure to ancient Aboriginal Australian culture, the real and only culture of this amazing land. :)

• Like 4

Thanks back   ... but   ummmmm     I dont remember actually saying this ;   " They are all sleepy, ignorant and racist as Nungali stated." 

Maybe ;  " a lot of them were and some still are sleepy ignorant and racist "   ..... oh yeah , you left out drunk .... a lot of the early currency here  -  rum . 

But many of the indigenous here  do have an affinity  with other indigenous cultures  ... sometimes the elders   go OS and meet up , sometimes the others come here for a meet up .   That is pretty amazing ....   they trade 'songs'  ( which has a much larger scope and content than one might imagine )  .

Slowly , they put it all together .   Its a BIG jigsaw puzzle  ( you will never have a  sit down and hear one story ;  life began  abc way and  ....     and another totally different one ;  life began xyz way and  .....       and the two will dispute who is right or wrong.  They are different parts and different ways of understanding the story and knowledge ... just like each bit of a jigsaw puzzle seems different  , but when all put together, in the right way   ....  the BIG picture starts to be revealed . 

More vid  ;  

• Like 3

Hey friend Nungali, I didn't say everyone, sorry for not being very careful with my word choice, forgive this impulsive Fire Horse. As in anywhere else on Gaia: There are humans who are more aware and sensitive and respectful of all sentient beings regardless of their cultural, social, gender, race (gee I dislike this socially constructed word, we are all human after all) ways of thinking. Whether it's Australia or Iceland it doesn't matter, humans are humans.

Yes, your last statement is like the "five blind men and the elephant:"

https://goo.gl/images/CssF7Q

They are all correct! Just different. :)

• Like 1

Christianity is a significant part of this sleep. Some say the Snow White story is about Europe. This great beauty who encountered a wicked witch, offering poison disguised as a ripe apple. 

A lot of bloodshed, cutting down of sacred trees, using the children of kings as hostages, outright lies and betrayal by Christians. Most famous is that of Charlemagne. The Christians knew the Pagan Europeans followed honour traditions, they kept to their word etc. No weapons at peace talks. The Christians invited many Pagan leaders to peace talks after a lengthy struggle. The Christians slaughtered them cold blood, defenseless (around 4000 I recall). Hypatia a famous female Pagan philosopher, mathematician etc she was highly regarded by all, of great virtue. A Christian mob brutally murdered her. And so on. Christianity victorious, so that history isn't much told ha. It's difficult to find ourselves again as we've been taught to despise ourselves, develop a guilt complex etc ha. We've been given a very narrow, self critical view of our own history, while other cultures practices/history is ignored or just fantasy.

It's a lot of nonsense about the innocence (/utopia) of indigenous people. They were as territorial, warlike or worse. South American groups practicing human sacrifice in vast numbers, cannibalism, head hunting, can still be found today. NZ Maori practicing cannibalism, warrior culture. Ancient China, warfare/genocides in the 10s of millions. Aboriginal warfare depicted in cave paintings. Etc.  Aboriginals killing "half caste" children, they didn't see them as being Aboriginal/ against natural law.

"Hamilton, who carried out research in the Aboriginal community of Maningrida in Arnhem Land during the 1960s, wrote that prior to this time part-European babies had not been allowed to live, and that 'mixed-unions are frowned on by men and women alike as a matter of principle'. It was not just whites who thought that racial purity was desirable.

There is also indisputable evidence from Aborigines themselves. Last year Marjorie Harris, a 'stolen child' now in her late sixties who had an Arunta mother and an Irish father, published her autobiography. She recounts how her elder brother, who was also of mixed race, had been killed at birth.

When Marjorie was born, her mother attempted to kill her, but she was saved by her grandmother. Until she was removed by a Northern Territory policeman in 1943, Marjorie lived with the Arunta, who always told her that she was not one of them, and that she should go to live with her own people, the whites. Of course, the tragedy was that in those days, most whites would not accept part-Aborigines as equals either." http://ipa.org.au/news/682/moral-dilemma-not-merely-a-question-of-black-and-white/pg/8

Ideally all Europeans would return to Europe, a great reset haha.

Edited by Sionnach

Sign in to follow this