Sign in to follow this  
mindtooloud

Ego Death

Good/bad, advantage/disadvantage only make sense from the perspective of ego, otherwise there is just what is. So to have that perspective means there is some degree of ego left, so not complete ego death.

But from the perspective of ego having different degrees of awakening or ego death can create a whole gamut of reactions: terror, catosrophe, stress, depression, bliss, joy, peace, sense of coming home and belonging. Over time the more dramatic level out and you adjust to your new level of being. If you continue on and don't turn back then the more negative reactions are less likely to be prominent.

• Like 2

A healthy ego is a requirement for both physical and mental health.

That being said a truly healthy ego is rare.

Healthy ego yields ease, unhealthy ego results in disease.

Cultivate the mind / ego for health.

Edited by cold
  • Like 3

The ego is what gives a point-of-view, robust concepts, an individual self through linear time, sequential cause and effect, detached thought processes, immutable laws, fixed systems of meaning etc.

Ego death, depending on how big a hit you take and how prepared you are, will, either way, rock the foundations of your world both internally and externally and change the way you think, feel and see things. So the ill prepared could quite easily feel like they have nothing of substance to hold on to and believe they're drowning in a disassociated reality, or begin having paranoid thoughts etc.

Last year I listened to a podcast about schizophrenia that made me think ego death, to whatever degree, comes down to interpretation because generally I've only had good experiences. But, listening to the podcast gave me vertigo and made me feel a little sick because I could relate to what he was saying. But, the way he was laying it out was all negative rather than positive. So, I just stopped listening to it and deleted it off my HD!

But, I think even positive outcomes will necessarily make you feel a bit giddy as they occur but you push through it very quickly, because you have prepared for the experience and move onward to greater horizons of understanding and appreciation for the joy of life etc.

Actually, the other day I managed to blow the top of my head off whilst doing qigong and for about 6 hours afterwards I walking around with my hair all out of place thinking I'd been run over by a train carrying LSD LOL. Luckily I'm alright now and the only consequence seems to be my router took the hit because ever since it keeps disconnecting from the internet and acting all schizophrenic!

Edited by Aletheia
  • Like 2

what would you say is purpose of the ego?

Survival and self-preservation.

(It doesn't include becoming a billionaire or anything like that.)

But will it interfere?

Cause

I wanna be a billionaire so freaking bad...

Yes, the ego will interfere if it does not reflect reality (is balanced).

Yeah, I can understand the desire to be a billionaire.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this