DB1

Hello everyone. Any info on "non doing" anyone?

Hi all,

I have been interested in eastern philosophy for many years and read a couple of books on the subject during my time. It is now that I have decided to take it more seriously and learn more. Joining this website is a part of that curiosity as I can see how others who are also interested in the same think.

A part of Taoism that interests me most currently is the "art of non doing". Can more really be done by doing less? The idea fascinates me and if anyone has any work that could be read or interesting stories on the matter I would love to hear you reply. Until then I will lose myself in existing topics here

Thanks

DB1

• Like 1

Hello DB1, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi DB1,

That would be the concept of "wu wei".  Many threads here regarding it.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

One of the ladies of TDB rene specializes in non-doing practice. She might be able to give some tips. Welcome to TDB. 

rene is away for the winter, but she will be back soon, I hope.  :wub:

DB1, welcome to the bums. :)

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have been interested in eastern philosophy for many years and read a couple of books on the subject during my time. It is now that I have decided to take it more seriously and learn more. Joining this website is a part of that curiosity as I can see how others who are also interested in the same think.

A part of Taoism that interests me most currently is the "art of non doing". Can more really be done by doing less? The idea fascinates me and if anyone has any work that could be read or interesting stories on the matter I would love to hear you reply. Until then I will lose myself in existing topics here

Thanks

DB1

Hi DB1,

The doing farmer whistles his dogs 'Donga Gunya get in the back'.

Then jumps in his ute he must shift the cows gather them in open gates and herd the cattle as quickly as possible cause he is running late and there are many more chores to be doing,this farmer is busy.

He sends his dogs out,'Get back,way back'he yells out to the dogs.

Well cows mob together quickly,cause we call them dogs,the cows only see wolves.

Anyway things don't go so well.Donga has caught up to the mob and is holding and swinging off the tail of a young steer.

'Come back'whistles his dogs,as Donga releases his hold on the tail of the steer.Well he was air born and rising as he let go,so had little control and he crashed into some obstacle and broke his front poor,and began to limp back to the ute.

'Bloody,bloody,double bloody'says the farmer knowing he will have to visit the vet.

Only half the mob changed paddocks,the other half split back and now have not stopped on reaching the far boundary fence.

The mob or half the of cattle were in with next doors cattle.This will take some doing to fix he thinks,but first the vet.

The non doing farmer has to shift his cows to the next paddock.

The cows know the non doing farmer has no dogs and only sometimes uses his ute.

So the farmer walks practicing his style of body energy,reaches the gate where he would like to have his cows walk through and opens it.

Then keeps practicing and returns home for a cup of tea.

Later that day the farmer again begins his walk back to the gate and closes it,cause all the cows have moved to the new paddocks all by themselves,without even knowing that's what the non doing farmer wanted.

• Like 3

The art of non-doing is essentially not pushing square pegs into round holes.

But it works if your square peg is much smaller than the round hole.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I read a similar story to the cow one which was about a man struggling to catch fish. He laboured all day and never got a single bite. Later that evening he noticed another fisherman with many fish and asked for advice on how to fish these waters. The fisherman shown him

The next day he placed bate on hooks attached to floats, many of them. A weight was applied to anchor it all still. He swam out and set up his rig. Once set he returned to shore to drink tea, read and laugh all day. The struggling fisherman was confused "arnt you going to tend to them?" He said "what if you get a bite?"

After quite an enjoyable day they returned to the rigs set up that morning to find the fish had caught themselves

By planning and allowing nature to take its course this great fisherman was at total one with the way and through non-doing achieved just what needed to be achieved.

Moving on from the story my current understanding of "Wu wei" is focus on what you are doing "just enough" and let nature do the rest. The world keeps turning and life goes on regardless of effort levels. By minimising effort and enjoying ones life then maybe just maybe that puts one close to the Tao. It's all good having a fishing story but where I fall short is the "how to apply this in modern life?" Understanding and application seem 2 different things

• Like 1

I read a similar story to the cow one which was about a man struggling to catch fish. He laboured all day and never got a single bite. Later that evening he noticed another fisherman with many fish and asked for advice on how to fish these waters. The fisherman shown him

The next day he placed bate on hooks attached to floats, many of them. A weight was applied to anchor it all still. He swam out and set up his rig. Once set he returned to shore to drink tea, read and laugh all day. The struggling fisherman was confused "arnt you going to tend to them?" He said "what if you get a bite?"

After quite an enjoyable day they returned to the rigs set up that morning to find the fish had caught themselves

By planning and allowing nature to take its course this great fisherman was at total one with the way and through non-doing achieved just what needed to be achieved.

Moving on from the story my current understanding of "Wu wei" is focus on what you are doing "just enough" and let nature do the rest. The world keeps turning and life goes on regardless of effort levels. By minimising effort and enjoying ones life then maybe just maybe that puts one close to the Tao. It's all good having a fishing story but where I fall short is the "how to apply this in modern life?" Understanding and application seem 2 different things

Yes, application comes after understanding has set in.

Watering your garden - you want to apply only just enough; too litttle and the plants will die of thirst, too much and they will die by drowning.

Most everything in life is this way.  We offer what is needed and everything else naturally finds its center.

• Like 1

"The right amount" yeahhh. Now i think. Maybe I am already naturally applying "Wu wei" to some areas of my life and to fully appreciate it would require me to simply notice myself in that moment. Be present. Maybe i overcomplicate or over work myself when taking on a task due to a lack of presence and being caught up in thoughts.

Something for me to think about anyway. I'm going to try Google and find a good book on the subject of this "Wu wei" :)

• Like 1

Very good question!

How to apply this - in any life - modern or rural or pastel.

If you set aside worrying about catching - the future

An set aside second guessing yourself - the past

If you drop these two fascinations - you will find yourself in the present.

In just the present one does not act with a restraint of energy from the past or a blocking of energy from the future.

One is in a happening - it may happen well or not so well - but if Presence is maintained their is no suffering - it is not compared to what could have happened or what might have happened - you are still happening.

This is very light living - it is non-doing though much happens or it does not. If and when you go fishing - you are there - fishing.

You can learn and unfold with no angst from pitting yourself against the fantasy illusion of past or future. You will learn many times faster because you are not confined by tradition though you may also enjoy tradition. In the present - tradition is as new as the new stuff - it just often has greater resonance.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 3