Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Mair 5:3

In the state of Lu there was a mutilated man, Toeless Nuncle Hill, who went plodding along on his heels to see Confucius.  "Because you weren't careful," said Confucius, "you have long since brought such a misfortune upon yourself.  Although you've come to see me, it's already too late."

"It's only because I didn't know my duty and was heedless of my body that I lost the front of my feet," said Toeless.  "In coming to you now, I am still possessed of something more precious than my feet and that's why I am striving to preserve it whole.  There is nothing that heaven does not cover; there is nothing that earth does not support.  I thought of you as heaven and earth, sir.  How could I have expected that you would treat me like this?"

"That was uncouth of me," said Confucius.  "Why don't you come in and allow me to explain for you what I have heard?"

Toeless left.

"Be diligent, my disciples!" said Confucius.  "Toeless has been mutilated, and yet he conscientiously studies to make up for the error of his previous conduct.  How much more should someone whose virtue is whole!"

Toeless went to see Old Longears and told him:  "As for being an ultimate man, he hasn't made it yet, has he?  So why does he imitate you so assiduously, sir?  He probably hopes to become famous for his bizarre ideas and strange notions, but he doesn't realize that the ultimate man would consider himself to be shackled by them."

"Why not just have him consider life and death as a single cord and 'permissible' and 'impermissible' as a single strand?" asked Old Longears.  "Wouldn't that free him of his shackles?"

"Heaven is punishing him," said Toeless.  "How can he be freed?"
  • Like 3

Note that in this story Confucius is pictured as a person who makes judgements based on external appearance rather than first looking for, in this case, the person.

• Like 1

said Confucius.  "Why don't you come in and allow me to explain for you what I have heard?"

They got this line backwards. In fact Confucius asks Toeless to come in and explain to Confucius what Toeless learned so far.

夫子胡不入乎?请讲以所闻!
  • Like 2

Confucius playing the "man of wisdom" on the outside, for show yet has little substance. The toeless dude has attained Tao and therefore does not moan...his "negative" past is just perception.

Confucius also learns something here. He's quite astounded.

PS Been away from this study for a while. However, I've started reading the Zhuangzi again, Burton Watson's. All is so much clearer now :)

• Like 2

They got this line backwards. In fact Confucius asks Toeless to come in and explain to Confucius what Toeless learned so far.

夫子胡不入乎?请讲以所闻!

Interesting.. I only found Eno translated that way :)

• Like 1

It seems that this passage is jumbled, in either case, ,but taking the very last part as consistent , Toeless isn't any more freed than Confucius since they both are stuck on stuck on conventional preconceptions. 

夫子胡不入乎?请讲以所闻!

I wanted to follow up on this as the meaning is not set and one has to look at the before and after... put it in context.  Was it Confucius asking to share his insight or asking Toeless to do so?

The next line is various translated:  無趾出  - Toeless left.    Mair follows the literal without fluff.

Legge says 'when he left'.

So the question begs:  

Did he leave because there was a further exchange or did he immediately leave?   If he immediately left, then why?

If Confucius said he would say his insight, there is no reason for Toeless to leave as that is why he came to Confucius.

if Confucius said, tell me your insight... that makes sense for Toeless to leave as he is shown as demoralized.

But we all see the world from our own eyes, don't we?

Well yes , ,,, starting at the end , we see that toeless thinks men to be at the mercy of the heavens regarding their virtue, and cant change that fate, He thinks Cz says the gods are indifferent other than to assign this fate. Toeless goes to see confucius thinking a 'great' man might have some sway over tthe gods or heavens and so, might help him in having more virtue, but confucius was indifferent about toeless virtue because he though he himself was just fated to being hot stuff. Cz thinks toeless could have instucted Conf. since the universe is indifferent to individual mens fate or virtue ,and sees it that virtue is in the hands of any , be they rich poor smart or simple - hence he says understanding the indifference of Dao would unshackle either of them. 

• Like 2

I wanted to follow up on this as the meaning is not set and one has to look at the before and after... put it in context.  Was it Confucius asking to share his insight or asking Toeless to do so?

The next line is various translated:  無趾出  - Toeless left.    Mair follows the literal without fluff.

Legge says 'when he left'.

So the question begs:  

Did he leave because there was a further exchange

Yes this is the case. 出 is 'to exit' and for that one needs to  first 入 enter. It means TL  entered as invited, they had their pow-wow, and then he exited the premises.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this