qicat

I-Ching Casting in a Dream: 33 changes to 8. What does it mean?

Meow all:

I had a really strange lucid dream last night. Someone I know, but not in a good relationship lately was casting I-Ching in regard to me. And they got "33 changes to 8". We have not seen each other for a while and, honestly, seems like "quarrelsome star" had been over energizing this relationship, so I found this dream rather odd. 

The person in question does active cultivation and such. Interestingly enough, it was exactly "33" ( retreat) which caused some issues ( they needed a major ego work in order to proceed further, etc). I was kind of offended by that, but hey, if someone needs space, go for it. However, the "retreat" did not start well ( caused loss of money from my side).

If someone will just show up out of the blue to make amends... should I go with "8"? I am just a human and I do have my feelings hurt because of that rejection.

Any thoughts welcome...

Meow...

Could it be age?   33 year and 8 year?   Refering to you as 33 old and 8 old....

Could your current problem related to those times?

33 changes to 8 via lines 3, 4, 6.  You need to read these lines to understand the message. 

At a glance: the oracle advises ending the relationship with no hard feelings. 

• Like 4

33 changes to 8 via lines 3, 4, 6.  You need to read these lines to understand the message. 

At a glance: the oracle advises ending the relationship with no hard feelings. 

thank you, wise cat! your message resonates with me...

cats rule!

• Like 1

The essence of hexagram 33 is composure. It is the use of stillness to compose strength, which inherently requires a withdrawal/retreat. When we take a moment to compose ourselves, we are withdrawing into stillness to find our center and gather our strength. This is not a phase of doing, but a phase of returning.

Each line within this hexagram describes a different phase of change within the overall dynamic of composure.

Lines 3, 4, and 6 are the changing lines in this reading. However this doesn't necessarily mean all of these are going to change at once to produce something new. It could be point out the active participants in this dynamic of composure.

Line 3 is a phase of withdrawal and composure where one is very likely to be personally entangled and weak to the task of developing composure.

Line 4 describes the phase of withdrawal where one is able to withdraw and compose one's energies at the precise moment there are forces working against one's composure, precisely because one has no personal entanglements in the way. However if one does not understand how to dissolve personal entanglements, it becomes the phase where instead of becoming inwardly composed through withdrawal, one still does the work to retreat, but uses adamance to push the outside away rather than dissolving within.

Line 6 describes the phase where, without subduing energy, energy is subdued. This is the richness of composure where one is able to work without bounds.

Each of these lines is active, but I wouldn't say they all point to hexagram 8. From what I've read of the situation, it seems line 3 is related to your friend discovering the need for composure and centering, and being tested in how they are able to apply this retreat in line 4.

Perhaps this will indeed result in your friend finding a higher type of composure as described in line 6. Or maybe line 6 describes your own participation.

In any case... the reading isn't completely clear, as I don't know what question was asked by the friend, or, because it came via a dream, if we should interpret this as your question or your friend's.

Beyond specifics, there does seem to be plenty of clarity we can all benefit from: Learn to develop composure through better management of one's center. When elements arise to take us away from our center, learn how to compose ourselves, knowing that our personal attachments will make this more difficult, that we will have an easier time being composed and centered when we are able to release personal attachments in a timely fashion, else we risk the use of force to push things away when our center is being attacked.

• Like 1

Learn to develop composure through better management of one's center. When elements arise to take us away from our center, learn how to compose ourselves, knowing that our personal attachments will make this more difficult, that we will have an easier time being composed and centered when we are able to release personal attachments in a timely fashion, else we risk the use of force to push things away when our center is being attacked.

Yes, this is exactly correct. 

Since everybody is our own mirror, the situation you have read applies to me and my friend equally. In fact, based on what I know about this person, similar situation came around about 4-5 years ago with someone who was very dear to that person. I sometimes was convinced that this has nothing to do with me, but a replay of the situation for my friend to take it differently ( i.e. "uses adamance to push the outside away rather than dissolving within"). From my side, I am still in a process of learning to hold the center. Thank you for walking me through this. 

谢谢

Edited by qicat
  • Like 1