Pilgrim

What is a Buddha?

Thanks for sharing this, Pilgrim.

The article said that the "Buddha of the next age" is Maitreya.

Check out the website share-international.org .

It's about Maitreya, who many believe is the "second coming of Christ," and the messiah that all religions have been waiting for.

• Like 1

In two other threads I asked this question, no reply really, so I decided to start this one.

Below is what I could find.

A Buddha is someone who has been liberated from Samsara or the cycle of birth and death.

He or She is not reborn.

Great website clearly written.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/whatsabuddha/a/whatsabuddha.htm

This may point to what you are looking for...

History of the Dharma ascribed to Longchenpa states:

How does the fundamental nature manifest as pure dimension and as teacher in order to help beings? Because they do not understand derstand the fundamental nature due to ignorance and erroneous conceptions, the beings of the three worlds accumulate actions and passions that produce various kinds of suffering.

The Buddhas, who with the eye of omniscience perceive the suffering undergone by beings in the same way as a mother who loves her own son, help them with great compassion by manifesting the dimension of the body, the wisdom that abides therein, and beneficial activities...

- The Supreme Source: The Fundamental Tantra of the Dzogchen Semde
  • Like 4

HI,

I will come back to this right now receiving education on what Buddha and Buddhism is all about it is quite different than Vedic traditions and there are some very interesting facets that I happen to agree with as they are simply true such as Samsara.

The best definition of samsara I've seen so far is from the Theravada monk and teacher Thanissaro Bhikkhu:  "Instead of a place, it's a process: the tendency to keep creating worlds and then moving into them." And note that this creating and moving in doesn't just happen once, at birth. We're doing it all the time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's about Maitreya, who many believe is the "second coming of Christ," and the messiah that all religions have been waiting for.

This thing about the Guru Lord Buddha Maitreya is total ignorance.  In a Sutta it gives the progression of Buddha's from Shakyamuni to Maitreya.  The Guru Lord Buddha Maitreya appears when the Dhamma fades away, but there is one that comes before Maitreya and after Shakyamuni. 

As for Buddhahood, it is not a destination, it's hidden in every step of the Path, in every lifetime.

Should be careful, there are people around pretending to be Maitreya, when One finds them, they hear a Lion Roar.

But all Buddhas are the same. I.e. is the the same "being" manifested in physical (?) body. I have not "seen" Buddha ( perhaps because I am not looking?), but at ngondro retreat I got very clear understanding of the lineage of Guru Rinpoche Padmasambhava. I can 100% confirm that true lineage holders do carry "the seal". As a noob, I have no idea what was actually was going on, but I think it was an introduction to the lineage mandala. Where all Buddhas are the same Guru. Which from energy perspective ( how it felt) it made perfect "sense", although it is hard to describe with words. 

Also, every human ( sentient being) is a "buddha in making". I am finding it hard to believe one human/being can generate enough energy to pull all sentient beings out of samsara of six worlds. I am reading sutras and what I am getting is that it is encoded thing, that "offering millions of merit to every drop of Ganga which is a universe" will not release the beings, but putting mantra into their heads will. ( I.e. energy work vs. physically loading everybody's checking account with unlimited money, giving them their dream boy/girl, fulfullign every wish...) I.e. getting humans to a state of rigpa and showing them freedom from suffering is the actual Buddha work, not material stuff...

p.s. I am curious to read this few month from now, I am sure my POV might change on this.

• Like 1

To address the question, What is a Buddha? Simply put, the word Buddha denotes an achievement, like MBA, PhD, the highest spiritual achievement in the pursuit of release from cyclical births and deaths. If a person is a Buddha, then he will not be 'reborn' within the 6 realms of existence. Besides, the word Buddha referring to the highest spiritual achievement of a person, the term is explained as 'The Awaken One', 'The Enlightened One'. After gaining his enlightenment, Buddha Shakyamuni was approached by a brahmin who found his bearing noble, holy and somewhat transfigured. The brahmin asked whether he was a god, and the Buddha replied, no. He was asked again whether he was a man, and similarly, he answered, no. Finally, the brahmin asked him who he was. He replied that he was Buddha. In this time period, there is only this One, only one Buddha, historically attested and that is Buddha Shakyamuni. Having said that, he was said to be the 28th Buddha in the lineage.So much for "One".

There are two categories of Buddhas: the highest being Sammasambuddha, the next is Pacekabuddha. Buddha Shakyamuni is a Sammasambuddha. There are differences between the terms.

As with tradition, the Buddha of the current time period would prophesied the next Buddha. Shakyamuni, in one of his previous births was prophesied by Buddha Dipankara to be a Buddha in a future time. Buddha Shakyamuni prophesied that Bodhisattva Meitriya would be the future Buddha after him. Pacekas are excluded from this 'requirement'.

Edited by Sudhamma
  • Like 1

Btw, I was at the full dzogchen empowerment the other day. The lineage transmits ALL teachings of Buddha. I cannot explain in human words what it feels like energetically, but "Buddha" is a living energy being outside of this ( all 6) realms. It just not "from here". I think from "modern 21st century quantum physics perspective" Tulku "hooks" up to the energy and everybody else who is in his "mandala" at the moment is in "that" energy and "knowledge" gets transmitted. Note, they spent about an hour "cleaning" temple before the transmission. They literally asked everybody to leave. I was walking circles around the temple and I can tell you that the "cleaning of entities and kleshas" they did was amazing ( as what I was perceiving energetically from outside) . I was wondering why did they need to "clean" the temple as it supposed to be already "pure", but it is "pure" for the humans' world, the Tulku was cleaning up "all worlds" and opening portals for the energy to come in. 

The more I know, the less I know...plus an understanding that I have zero clue of how world really works. I know some people shush at me for saying that "religion is something you need to look at", but the more and more I dig into it from energy perspective, the more and more I wonder what and why the things are the way they are. I mean, if you read Buddha's teachings, this is a very high level sophisticated system about "everything". How do "uneducated jungle people" without internet and iPhones and google could possibly come up with it?...

anyways, stopping my ramblings now...

• Like 2

Btw, I was at the full dzogchen empowerment the other day. The lineage transmits ALL teachings of Buddha. I cannot explain in human words what it feels like energetically, but "Buddha" is a living energy being outside of this ( all 6) realms. It just not "from here". I think from "modern 21st century quantum physics perspective" Tulku "hooks" up to the energy and everybody else who is in his "mandala" at the moment is in "that" energy and "knowledge" gets transmitted. Note, they spent about an hour "cleaning" temple before the transmission. They literally asked everybody to leave. I was walking circles around the temple and I can tell you that the "cleaning of entities and kleshas" they did was amazing ( as what I was perceiving energetically from outside) . I was wondering why did they need to "clean" the temple as it supposed to be already "pure", but it is "pure" for the humans' world, the Tulku was cleaning up "all worlds" and opening portals for the energy to come in. 

The more I know, the less I know...plus an understanding that I have zero clue of how world really works. I know some people shush at me for saying that "religion is something you need to look at", but the more and more I dig into it from energy perspective, the more and more I wonder what and why the things are the way they are. I mean, if you read Buddha's teachings, this is a very high level sophisticated system about "everything". How do "uneducated jungle people" without internet and iPhones and google could possibly come up with it?...

anyways, stopping my ramblings now...

Nice to hear you ramble, qicat.

:)

Very little is more awe-inspiring than a genuine feeling of connection to a wisdom lineage, a true master, and a supportive sangha. 

Except, of course, the direct experience of that "Buddha" as the very stuff of which you are a manifestation.

It has never been farther from you than your own mind and skin.

The transmission is there to try and help us experience the taste, or at least invite us to be open to the possibility, and to show us the door in ourselves where we can deepen that relationship. The master can't transmit to you what you already are, at best she can create a conducive environment and get you in the mood. Everything else is your karma and predilection. 

_/\_

• Like 1

you see, the impact of these questions will be very much lessened had you grounded your knowledge by actually doing the prelims (ngondro) for say 5 years, and done a full year's in-house retreat after. This will crystallize the process and then only will your Dzogchen empowerment, together with the samayas, bestow a more authentic meaning as a practitioner. 

Right now, reading your take above, it appears (I could be mistaken of course) that you had a mere whiff, a distance from the house, of something baking, but keeps you guessing whether whats in the oven is a Madeira cake, a tray of cupcakes, croissants or muffins. 

A fully-fledged Dzogchen practitioner (meaning one who has done the above - bolded) tend to have unwavering clarity insofar as transmissions and the View is concerned. 

CT, r u commenting to me or other person? I am slowly doing my Ngondro, I just happened to be at the transmission, but not at full teachings Tulku was giving. I am not stupid enough to start loading self with that kind of energy. I assume my research on Qi Deviations would support it.

So, appreciate the concern if it was directed at me .

CT, r u commenting to me or other person? I am slowly doing my Ngondro, I just happened to be at the transmission, but not at full teachings Tulku was giving. I am not stupid enough to start loading self with that kind of energy. I assume my research on Qi Deviations would support it.

So, appreciate the concern if it was directed at me .

Yes, i was a little concerned, but good now knowing that you are steering your practice with the Ngondro. 

• Like 1

Not quite. One that comes with a specific message in a specific point in time. Enlightenment is not exclusive to a Buddha saint nor to the Buddhist path.

Edited by Gerard

Though he is not himself a Buddhist, Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev once touched on this topic in response to an audience question.

He said a Buddha is one who is above Intellect (Buddhi). Intellect (Buddhi) is what separates humans from animals. Animals know and are aware. But only humans have Buddhi. We not only know but we know that we know. This opens up tremendous potential in humans that is not possible for animals - even highly intelligent ones. once Buddhi is active each person can actively choose and direct his or her own growth potential - going in whichever direction he/she prefers. Animals do not have this option because their Buddhi has not yet bloomed. Buddhi has also bloomed in devas and gods. They also have Buddhi.

A Buddha has gone beyond even this. Has jumped beyond even Buddhi, he said (ie Sadhguru said). A Buddha's wisdom, compassion, power, etc is beyond comprehension (apparently literally < [my comment]).

And though Sadhguru's talk did not state it I suspect it is nonetheless true - A Buddha's Power has therefore also jumped beyond Buddhi. That is why it is said only a Buddha can first turn the wheel of the Dharma after the Dharma has ended. Dharma, in this case, having a transcendent wisdom, compassion and transcendent energy component. It is an "energy" / Chi / Unsurpassed Spiritual Power thing (ie setting in motion the wheel of the energy/Shakti*  that leads to liberation for sentient beings - it is an exceedingly rare special type of spiritual power that only Buddhas possess), not merely an Intellect (Buddhi-based) thing - a jump beyond on a scale so vast and limitless in scope even the greatest God(s) imaginable can not compare. Thus the Buddha was a world-honored one even among devas and deities.

Edit:

* Now I think I understand why Maitreya Buddha said "For the sake of rescuing you all I have given to innumerable people my kingdom, my head, my eyes, my hands, my feet and my wife. Beginning today are my liberation and the unsurpassed great silence and stillness."

I puzzled over that phrase - particularly the word wife but I think maybe I have an inkling of what he meant (or at least how it means to this little worldling).

Wife = Shakti (which is always described as feminine). Taoism sees Yin as the powerhouse and is also seen as the feminine. And when one practices meditation and letting go it is often described as getting Shakti (female energy / unsurpassed power) to unite with Shiva (male stillness/unwaveringness/emptiness).

According to Sadhguru:

'Shi' - 'va' = the syllables mean (and invoke) 'that-which-is-not'

'Shakti' =  the syllables mean (and invoke)  'that-which-is'

He says they are 2 sides of the same coin. Thus all things are empty.

Edited by JustARandomPanda
  • Like 2

Just a little note to say that one of the reasons I like Sadhguru is that he has released a few videos wherein he praises the Buddha quite a bit.

Edited by JustARandomPanda

On 2/1/2017 at 11:31 AM, Pilgrim said:

HI,

I will come back to this right now receiving education on what Buddha and Buddhism is all about it is quite different than Vedic traditions and there are some very interesting facets that I happen to agree with as they are simply true such as Samsara.

The best definition of samsara I've seen so far is from the Theravada monk and teacher Thanissaro Bhikkhu:  "Instead of a place, it's a process: the tendency to keep creating worlds and then moving into them." And note that this creating and moving in doesn't just happen once, at birth. We're doing it all the time. 

It is a mechanical robotic addiction - the definition above is good - but it intrinsically gives the idea that we are "creating worlds".

It is not so much a process as a happening - and the level from which it does not originate from us is off the charts of our ability to understand from the relative - from concept.

The worlds are happening - we are not creating them. One could view practice not as creating new better worlds but as deconstructing the trance robotic "happening" of illusion. In a sense creating gaps in it and detours away from mind and trance.

Practice is more removing than addition - or non-participation as apposed to the illusion of doing, like rowing with just one oar on the side of position.

• Like 2