Sign in to follow this  
awaken

Is anyone practicing Bajiquan?

Hi awaken, I practiced it superficially some time ago but at the time I found it not quite as refined as other internal arts. However I'd love to hear from anyone else with greater experience in the style

I love how it looks when performed well. Practiced a bit of its basic training on my own a number of years ago, but it didn't blend well with how I was cultivating.

• Like 1

For me, all the martial arts are external.

Ha..

Including Taijiquan, Baguazhang...

I talked with a Taijiquan teacher, Chen's Taijii.

He always say all martial arts are external.

But I receive his Qi, he has strong Qi in Ren du and legs.

Interesting

In Taiwan, the master of Bajiquan , 劉雲橋,think small Bajiquan is a way to practice Qi.

When they practice small Bajiquan , they open their fists a little to let the Qi more free.

I have seen some young boys, about 18-22 years old, university students, Qi go up straight like a white smoke.

When they are 站樁,they are shivering, sweating, and three Qi smoke, interesting.

Edited by awaken

Ha..

I talked with a Taijiquan teacher, Chen's Taijii.

He always say all martial arts are external.

But I receive his Qi, he has strong Qi in Ren du and legs.

Interesting

In Taiwan, the master of Bajiquan , 劉雲橋,think small Bajiquan is a way to practice Qi.

When they practice small Bajiquan , they open their fists a little to let the Qi more free.

I have seen some young boys, about 18-22 years old, university students, Qi go up straight like a white smoke.

When they are 站樁,they are shivering, sweating, and three Qi smoke, interesting.

You have not seen real internal martial artists then. Just because someone is moved physically doesn't mean external :)

Hung ka kyun (Honjia quan) has some elements of neigong exercises. Back in the 70's in the west nobody knew about qigong. So there is breathing, meditating and sounds exercises in other kung fu styles.

Ha..

It all depends on the practitioner. Everything is relative. Never use absolutes. ;)

• Like 1

Hello Awaken,

If you look up masters like Yang Lu Chan, or Sun Lu Tang, or the founder of Baguazhang; Dong Haichuan.

Then it is very obvious they had great internal skill.

Sun Lu Tang for example appearantly knew when he was going to die, and when the time came, returned to his ancestral house, sat on a chair naked, went into meditation and died. That's pretty high level. Not to mention the mastery of lightness, being able to run very fast and leave no tracks in the snow.

That's high level internal work. :)

Best wishes,

孫祿堂,I have read his book.

He talk about heart opening.

It seems that not many people notice that.

But he talked more about how the Qi connect with Kung fu.

Edited by awaken

Sun Lu Tang for example appearantly knew when he was going to die, and when the time came, returned to his ancestral house, sat on a chair naked, went into meditation and died. 

Isn't it also possible for some internal masters to choose when they will die? 

Not to mention the mastery of lightness, being able to run very fast and leave no tracks in the snow.

That's high level internal work. :)

The lightness skill fascinates me. How fast/agile can a practitioner be with lightness? What are the overall capabilities? I imagine that the practitioner's mind/mental speed/reflexes become more refined & quicker as a result.... is this true?

+ I can see that there probably are multiple ways/schools of practicing/achieving lightness, although not a lot of them are known among the public - even to us internal arts enthusiasts.

From what I gather, lightness skill is an extremely powerful skill to have. However, the techniques of achieving them are practically useless - unless one has achieved a sufficient base in basic/intermediate level internal work. Are there any health and vitality benefits that come along with practicing lightness?

From what I gather, lightness skill is an extremely powerful skill to have. However, the techniques of achieving them are practically useless - unless one has achieved a sufficient base in basic/intermediate level internal work. Are there any health and vitality benefits that come along with practicing lightness?

Siddhis are very powerful to gain...but focusing on them isn't worth it at all. They will distract you from the main goal and being a good and honest person which is the most important thing in the end.

Some develop lightness skill some don't. It's just another siddhi. It's just Qi opening up and making you light. That's all. What is this really good for, to impress others...possibly. But for you? You gain nothing out of it. It's a miracle, a mirage, a dream within this dream of reality...many attributes of what the MIND is capable of. Remember you have a Divine nature, you could act like a god and create an entire universe if you wanted to...but this 'feature' has been locked up because of your current condition as a human (your karma). So let's focus on improving ourselves and being good and gentle to other people, the animals and the environment.

I dislike, reject and despise them (The Buddha). + 1

The Buddha and the miracles.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

Siddhis are very powerful to gain...but focusing on them isn't worth it at all. They will distract you from the main goal and being a good and honest person which is the most important thing in the end.

Some develop lightness skill some don't. It's just another siddhi. It's just Qi opening up and making you light. That's all. What is this really good for, to impress others...possibly. But for you? You gain nothing out of it. It's a miracle, a mirage, a dream within this dream of reality...many attributes of what the MIND is capable of. Remember you have a Divine nature, you could act like a god and create an entire universe if you wanted to...but this 'feature' has been locked up because of your current condition as a human (your karma). So let's focus on improving ourselves and being good and gentle to other people, the animals and the environment.

Hello Gerald,

Thanks for your kind reply. 

I agree that the most significant cultivation comes from my actions towards others. Although internal work has become a significant part of my life, it can by no means replace the value of people around me.

The main reason lightness skill fascinates me is mostly for martial purposes. It seems that it would complement the martial arts that I practice very nicely (Northern Long fist) - especially with its emphasis on developing agility and speed; in addition, one could say that agility and evasiveness are the two of the most crucial factors in deciding a martial artist's capability. However, I don't plan on trying to search for guidance on advanced level skills, as I am only a novice practitioner.

As for a the skill being used to show off, it definitely could be used that way for sure. For me, however, martial arts is a very personal thing which I practice and train on my own (& occasionally with my teachers). I personally would not be able to stand being gossiped about or being bothered by other people (especially over something most of them wouldn't be able to understand :P), let alone my friends stereotyping me for being an asain who practices martial arts nowdays  :). I believe that skills such as martial arts should be used for practical & benevolent reasons - rather than for becoming a big bad bully.

Edited by aden

It seems to have a lot of people practicing martial arts here, Taiji, Baqua...etc.

Is anyone practicing Bajiquan here? 八極拳

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bajiquan

Sorry. I'm a little late to the conversation. As you're in Taiwan, have you ever looked up the "Wu Tan" school? It was founded by Grandmaster Liu Yun Qiao, and I met some of the second generation baji practitioners in the United States.

From what I heard from the practitioners, the school was founded in Taiwan shortly after the Revolution. Masters, who had fled China, banded together and taught their arts (taijiquan, bajiquan, baguazhang, etc.). Based on my faulty memory, the school is still operational in Taiwan, but I don't know much more than that.

Edited by SeekingSilence

Sorry. I'm a little late to the conversation. As you're in Taiwan, have you ever looked up the "Wu Tan" school? It was founded by Grandmaster Liu Yun Qiao, and I met some of the second generation baji practitioners in the United States.

From what I heard from the practitioners, the school was founded in Taiwan shortly after the Revolution. Masters, who had fled China, banded together and taught their arts (taijiquan, bajiquan, baguazhang, etc.). Based on my faulty memory, the school is still operational in Taiwan, but I don't know much more than that.

Chiang kai-shek bodyguards practiced bajiquan and I guess that's why it became popular in Taiwan. There still this urban myth about martial artist and martial arts. It is all hearsay and generation codes regarding their prowess's

About the only thing I've done is the daqiang training from bajiquan. My Chen teacher told me years ago it was one of the best strength builders for level changes he's ever seen.

Sign in to follow this