Sign in to follow this  
Rara

Daily (or regular) practices

I want to share the following as right now, it has been very useful. I also invite you all to share your current practices, afterall, things change and I never find that my practices last forever. Something will happen where it becomes necessary to change or mix up what I am doing. That is why I put "regular" in brackets, because for some, daily ritual in itself can cause stress as it takes the spontaneity/flow out of the moment. Or disrupt the "natural order of things", if you will.

Because I woke up with excruciating back pain a couple of weeks ago, I had to see the doctor and on examination, the only thing he identified was extreme tension. No injury. That's a relief, I'm only 29.

He advised gentle stretches and movements - I had previously spent a couple of years doing resisitance training in the gym and driving a lot. Funnily enough, when I lightened the whole schedule of everything, that's when my back locked out. Literally two weeks was all it took for my body to say "what's going on?!" I cannot explain such a bizarre phenomenon. Most people put their back out lifting things. I put my back out reducing all that.

I can only think that my body/muscles were perhaps a bit shocked and failed to adapt. I tried to unwind gradually but I guess it wasn't enough.

So anyway, here is my almost-daily practice which I find to be helping with life in general:

Wing Chun Forms: The first two as I had only really started learning the third before I left the class. Done at a moderate pace with focus on breathing and mobility of the spine. I haven't practiced the "hard" style of this martial art for 2 years. The school I went to closed and the instructor was going through child-custody battles and losing his job etc etc. I decided to leave fighting behind as I now see it as a wrong Way to counter those "attacking" you. Fighting is not Tao, or my Way should I say? But I do feel the forms still provide health benefits - but I have no intention of using these mechanisms in any form of combat, even if that is what they were designed for.

I will probably take Tai Chi classes instead some time soon. The WC forms are a good place holder though and take their ideas from Tai Chi anyway.

Gentle yoga/stretches: Thanks to my fiancée - I now know the ones that are particularly beneficial for my weird back. Downward dog/upward dog and table. And that one that makes you look like a seal. I love the way she describes these - takes all seriousness out of it. Who cares what their name is?! Haha.

Household "chores": By that I mean, usual daily activity. I have never felt more content doing dishes, cooking and eating food, making and drinking tea. Done again in a relaxed, flowing manner, I feel more in-tune with myself. I can feel my heart and belly as I type this, it's quite a sensation.

Life is slowing down, yet from waking up around 7am, it can become 7pm and I won't have even left the house (I work from home mainly now) If that is the case, it doesn't bother me any more. I used to get cabin fever, but now I know that was just a by-product of "wanting".

"I wanna go here. I wanna go there" My mind screamed. "I wanna eat this, I wanna get home quick" it moaned. "I don't wanna spend that much, do we really have to?" it whined.

So I spilled the mind on the floor and left it there to evaporate :)

Amazing what a good bit of back pain can make you realize.

So please, share your current practices. I may find another cool thing to try!

• Like 4

I also try to do the first form of Wing Chun every morning. I seem to relate to how fighting is not Tao or my Way as well, but the form seems to help calm my mind, and at the same time, trains my muscle memory for when the time comes that I might actually have to defend myself.

During the day when I'm at work, I make sure to step outside and enjoy my coffee while being aware of my surroundings. Some basic mindfulness that keeps me grounded throughout the working day.

At night, I try to do some Yin Yoga poses to keep my body limber.

I think these are my three practices that I try to do regularly.

• Like 2

I like to wake up to my morning qigong routine. Nothing like getting dressed, brushing your teeth and getting in the "zone" before work.

I will also do my qigong meditation during my lunch break at work. When it's a hectic day sometimes I will lose my center in the commotion. It's good to relax and get a boost.

After work I will do some Daoyin and light stretching. After that I'll practice my taiji and xingyi.

And yes, little things such as chores are awesome. The biggest challenge and goal is to find enjoyment in the smallest and daunting of tasks.

• Like 2

This is inspiring, i've been trying to get back to a daily routine, been a rough couple of months and what usually happens is the daily extras get shaved off.

The plan is getting back to the previous standard, it'll have to build slowly though.

I have a set of 18 that go together and i like to do five, three fixed ones and two that rotate through the rest of the curriculum.

Followed up with three qi-gong exercises and one martial nei gong exercise, maybe a half hour of sitting to just center.

This for the mornings.

Evenings would include some stretching, maybe more sitting and the martial exercise again. It should be done twice daily.

Chores are great for micro-practice, i try to use my kung fu footwork as often as possible during the day while moving and practicing sung and posture while not moving so much. Breathing abdominally hasnt left me completely so the road back isnt too long... i hope.

Also: a daily good two hours of just chilling out, preferrably in the couch watching something and having a snack, a glass of ice water and the occasional glass of red wine. Relaxing and enjoying, doing nothing etc is just as vital as working methinks :)

So ill start off with the basic five these next few days to see how it holds up.

• Like 1

For relaxing tension on the back, I really like the Spoonk (https://www.amazon.com/Spoonk-Cotton-Acupressure-Massage-carry-bag/dp/B0052YK8RO).  The yoga mat for sadists, it is a mat w/ 1,000's of little spikes.  Lying on it hurts for the first minute, then the relaxation response kicks it.  Maybe from pressure points or endorphins from the little pricks, don't know, but it's very relaxing for the back. 

A similar pain is pleasure comes in the form of cold showers.  Doing some hot, cold, hot cold, seems to trigger a deep relaxation response.  Stimulates the blood flow and the immune system. 

Beyond that when I had a bad back, the doctor said the only long term cure was in building up strength and flexibility; and he was right. 

• Like 1

Finding a good stretching and strengthening routine is half the battle, maybe two thirds.  The other is keeping a calm mind.   Minimize tension in your life, treat yourself almost like you were pregnant for awhile, ie more meditation and relaxation, less bad news and getting into arguments. 

The back is a very psycho-somatic.  Tightening brings pain, pain brings more tightening (or as Yoda would say- Tightening brings pain, Pain leads to tightening, tightening leads to the dark side).  For many emotions can be a trigger that starts the cycle going.  So, part of the solution might be actively seeking and staying calm.

• Like 2

Do you have the accompanying VHS or just the book?

I have the book too, it is awesome.

Just the book. I learned myself the set, a few exercises at a time over a period of a few weeks until I had the whole set memorised. Then I increased the repetitions slowly over time. I've seen parts of the video and it looks too fast, way faster than I do it, but I think it's just to show how the moves are done. The speed and breathing come through regular, preferably daily, practice.

• Like 1

Just the book. I learned myself the set, a few exercises at a time over a period of a few weeks until I had the whole set memorised. Then I increased the repetitions slowly over time. I've seen parts of the video and it looks too fast, way faster than I do it, but I think it's just to show how the moves are done. The speed and breathing come through regular, preferably daily, practice.

I havent seen the video.  I thought it was out of production and hard to find.... and there were also rumors that it would be rereleased but i havent heard anything yet.

that book answered many questions for me when i was first starting xingyi

• Like 1

I will also do my qigong meditation during my lunch break at work. When it's a hectic day sometimes I will lose my center in the commotion. It's good to relax and get a boost.

Have you found that your practice is helping you in such hectic days? I work in events and have found that although "trying" to incorporate calm mind in this environment, the unpredictable always will creep up on me! Sometimes I'm just so tired that I end up flapping. Although I think I am better these days - would just be nice to keep that cool in the more stressful situations. But generally I feel I do quite well.

I guess practice makes perfect, right? Will get there in the end... :D

This is inspiring, i've been trying to get back to a daily routine, been a rough couple of months and what usually happens is the daily extras get shaved off.

The plan is getting back to the previous standard, it'll have to build slowly though.

I have a set of 18 that go together and i like to do five, three fixed ones and two that rotate through the rest of the curriculum.

Followed up with three qi-gong exercises and one martial nei gong exercise, maybe a half hour of sitting to just center.

This for the mornings.

Evenings would include some stretching, maybe more sitting and the martial exercise again. It should be done twice daily.

Chores are great for micro-practice, i try to use my kung fu footwork as often as possible during the day while moving and practicing sung and posture while not moving so much. Breathing abdominally hasnt left me completely so the road back isnt too long... i hope.

Also: a daily good two hours of just chilling out, preferrably in the couch watching something and having a snack, a glass of ice water and the occasional glass of red wine. Relaxing and enjoying, doing nothing etc is just as vital as working methinks :)

So ill start off with the basic five these next few days to see how it holds up.

Yep, easy to get just too busy to maintain a routine. In moments like that, I don't force myself to do anything, but it's always good to get "back on the wagon" once the busy moments have passed :)

Funny, I was cleaning the bathroom yesterday and remembered a phrase I read once about "kung-fu your kitchen" (basically to use meditative kung fu form during cleaning)

And yes. 2 or so hours on the sofa watching TV at night is definitely a ritual for me hehe.

• Like 1

For relaxing tension on the back, I really like the Spoonk (https://www.amazon.com/Spoonk-Cotton-Acupressure-Massage-carry-bag/dp/B0052YK8RO). The yoga mat for sadists, it is a mat w/ 1,000's of little spikes. Lying on it hurts for the first minute, then the relaxation response kicks it. Maybe from pressure points or endorphins from the little pricks, don't know, but it's very relaxing for the back.

A similar pain is pleasure comes in the form of cold showers. Doing some hot, cold, hot cold, seems to trigger a deep relaxation response. Stimulates the blood flow and the immune system.

Beyond that when I had a bad back, the doctor said the only long term cure was in building up strength and flexibility; and he was right.

Crikey! Will store this idea in my back pocket, thank you :) I went to acupuncture for a little while and it did do some good.

Speaking of strenthening, I appear to be 100% now so I may break myself gently into pushups and planks again. Continue the stretches as well, of course.

• Like 1

Hi Fa Xin,

You can buy the Xing Yi Nei Gong DVD on the US Amazon: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TY97XU/

or directly from the Plum Publications web site: http://plumpub.com/

Tim Cartmell gives no verbal instruction on this video (I have the VHS tape).

Tom Bisio has a good online course on this set: http://www.internalartsinternational.com/programs/xing-yi-nei-gong/ I have this and he gives detailed instruction on each movement.

Gerald A. Sharp has a Xingyi DVD which includes Nei Gong, but I haven't seen it and I'm not sure if it's the same version:

http://store.chiflow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=XYMOTV1

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this