roger

courses in Buddhism in the form of books

I've come across a few online, interactive courses in Buddhism, but I'm more interested in books.

Of course, there are many good books about Zen, Tibetan, and other forms of Buddhism.

But what I'd really love to find is a book that gives a "complete course" in Buddhist spirituality.

From "A to Z."

Please let me know if you know of any excellent books of that sort.

Thanks!

Study suttas. Those books have almost non value or little of value, they can trigger something or inspire but I suggest to learn directly from Buddha's words.

Bhikku Bodhi "In The Buddha's Words" it's actually systematized step by step from basic to practice. 

Of course to develop practice deeper you need to dive deeper in suttas to clear out your mistakes with understanding, view and meditation.

Edited by SeekerOfHealing
  • Like 1

I'm afraid you'll struggle with that due to the different sects of Buddhism that all have quite different approaches. I know this is slightly frustrating as there must be some common aspects that they all share and there should be somewhere where these are clearly explained, but I've never found it - so I'll follow this thread with interest :)

• Like 1

Instead of books, I'd suggest podcasts.  There are some excellent ones out there that have excellent dharma speeches.  For example Zencast which has many lesson by respected teachers.   Another one I enjoy is infiniteSmile an excellent source for a modern twist on Zen inspired wisdom.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your replies.

thelerner, thanks for the two suggestions. I'm gonna check out Zencast and infiniteSmile right now.

• Like 2