Oneironaut

Can someone here educate me on zhan zhuang?

I've been looking into somatic systems from Feldenkrais to the Alexander technique, Tao Yin, Sotai etc. I heard that zhan zhuang is another really good one and what caught my attention is that the standing postures are similar to the ones being used in the Alexander technique. I also heard that effects and benefits are more readily available and accessible in zhan zhuang than they are in Feldenkrais and the Alexander technique. My questions are

What exactly is zhan zhuang? Is it a martial art, a qi gong form a somatic system?

Does zhan zhuang accomplish the goal of allowing the body to feel light and weightless?

Secondly, who is the teacher that specializes in zhan zhuang and has simplified the practice to make it more accessible to regular people?

Thanks

• Like 1

I've never had formal instruction so I'm not really in the best place to advise, but my go to book to explain it to a regular person would be Lam Kam Chuen's 'The Way of Energy'. My only advice on this book is you don't have to rush up to 20 min stands quite as fast as he suggests.

Edited by Miffymog
  • Like 1

Yeah, Lam Kam Chuen's is the modern classic on zhan Zhuang.   Its a practice that gets pretty diverse; some people 'just stand' others do the formal routine outlined in Lam Kam Chuen's book.   Some just practice 'hug the tree' others get martial and do long periods of horse stance.   No matter what you do its good to have someone with experience check your posture(s). 

Undoubtedly there are youtubes with pictures and pointers.   As I recall in the book Warriors of Stillness the author relates how sad he was when his Tai Chi teacher found Zhan Zhang and started cutting down time moving for standing practice.  Ultimately he found there was amazing power, mental and physical to the practice.

My practice is to 'just stand' ie naturally, hands down, listening to Rawn Clark's Archaeous series.  They're about 15 minutes and are a hermetic system for how the elements relate to the body.  

Addon> I notice Miffymog above, has a thread on zhan zhang in his PPD.  Undoubtedly pointers and wisdom to be found there-   http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/40428-miffymogs-zhan-zhuang-practice/?p=732032

• Like 1

Its a qigong/mediation system that can be used for martial arts.I can recommend the books by lam kam chuen.And yes you will feel lighter by doing it, for me it took just 8 weeks of daily standing, after that i felt like everything was much easier walking, running etc. But it goes much deeper than that.There are good videos on youtube called stand still be fit by lam kam chuen.I would also say take your time with it and dont rush to hard but also always go to your borders...just not beyond :)

• Like 1

What exactly is zhan zhuang? Is it a martial art, a qi gong form a somatic system?

Does zhan zhuang accomplish the goal of allowing the body to feel light and weightless?

Secondly, who is the teacher that specializes in zhan zhuang and has simplified the practice to make it more accessible to regular people?

lol how can standing post be ANY simpler or more accessible???

Stand. Correct posture. Breathe.

I feel zhan zhuang is an excellent method to allow the body to reassert its natural structure via gravity. Meditation postures are generally very unnatural (eg. full lotus). Standing post can deliver meditation while strengthening the entire body without strain.

Ultimately the goal is to realize a sense of being 'transparent' with energy--a state of perfect natural balance. Like any energy work, that is the beginning, opening the door to more direct energy work. Most people, Id suggest, wont need or want to go there, and will be satisfied with strength, clarity, and vitality--which basic post standing will give.

A good teacher will be a great help. Especially at basic stage. But there is little harm in just applying the principles and standing to get started. A more accessible form of exercise I can scarcely imagine!

A good place to look could be in IMA schools or teachers. Post standing is often an important part of IMA training, and some of those martial teachers might know a thing or two more to guide you further.

I have wondered whether them guys who stand guard at the Queens palace all day have good zhan zhuang skill? Also highly skilled at standing all day--unionized city works employees.

:D

• Like 1

Here's a q for zhan zhuang experts:

How does post standing generate energy?

Is it that there is some mechanism cranking up the amps, or do we get more in touch with whats there, sensing the vibrancy that already exists?

How can stillness generate power?

8)

Its kind of a practice of opposites, there's relaxation as well as effort. The simple explanation here is that due to there being a minor strain on the leg and maybe arm muscles, the heart does have to beat a bit quicker and the lungs do have to draw in a bit more breath. But, because the demand is relatively small compared to running, the cardio-vascular system is not pushed beyond it's capability. This then allows the second effect of post standing to take place. That of relaxation.

In part, the nervous system gets to relax purely by the fact the body is relatively stationary and so it's not having to process so much. But also, because the mind gets to relax as well, the whole system relaxes. This is when the body goes into a similar state to sleep and meditation and the para-symphatic nervous system takes over (as opposed to running around when the symphatic nervous system is dominant). When the para-symphatic system is more in control, the body goes in to a healing state, just like sleeping - but - because the heart is beating that little bit quicker, it is like a super charged healing state.

In the past couple of months I've had some bones examined by x-ray and my eyes examined by an opticians. Both the bones and the back of my eyes were apparently very free of impurities and defects. I like to think this is due to my standing, but unfortunately I never got these things looked at before I started my practice so I cant be certain.

• Like 2

I think a huge part of power generation comes from the body structure which gets better and better over time.You learn to work with gravity or more like unlearning to work against it :) .But there is much more going on.My advice it to not focus to much on one kind of aspect and to just trust into the method.Stillness in mind and body...

Edited by NATURE BEEING
  • Like 3

My advice it to not focus to much on one kind of aspect and to just trust into the method.Stillness in mind and body...

Yes, an advantage of post standing is that there is not, generally, any visualization going on. Just clear your mind and relax. Nothing to focus on except tiny adjustments along the way.

8)

• Like 1

Here's a q for zhan zhuang experts:

Is it that there is some mechanism cranking up the amps, or do we get more in touch with whats there, sensing the vibrancy that already exists?

8)

The weight of the body on the feet physically opens the Kidney-1 acupoint...which causes that channel to have more qi flow. This stokes the Kidney yang, which causes yuan qi to travel through the entire body and promote normal function. You can feel the yang if your abdomen ever gets warm on the inside during practice. If you feel the warmth rising up from the abdomen, it's good to eat less damp foods so that it stays down there. This yang also warms the stomach, which helps the digestive process extract nourishment from what we eat and drink. Since it's a practice that increases yang, it's good to be well hydrated and nourished to have a more balanced effect.

• Like 4