Vajra Fist

Raw garlic

When my wife was sick with flu over Christmas I read a blog about the immune benefits of chewing a clove or two of raw garlic a day. Since I didn't catch anything at the time. I've kept it up as a daily habit.

Aside from the obvious (paint stripper breath) does anyone know if there are any health draw backs from this?

• Like 2

I've heard it was good.  Killing germs, hurting virus's.   Years ago there was a major MMA tournament, the belt defender was sick but said he was ready because he'd been chewing garlic all day.  And he ended up winning.  Score one for garlic.

I think the big worry is stomach upset.  If yours can handle it, then very healthy. 

Though anything can be overdone. 

• Like 3

I take garlic supplements.  I have heard no negatives about it. 

And for people who can't digest garlic well they could string a bunch of cloves into a necklace and wear it.  (At least it will keep the vampires away.)

• Like 2

For those who cannot entertain the thought of consuming raw garlic could try supplementing with MSM

• Like 3

Garlic is a great immune system booster, among other things,  and I try to take at least two cloves every day. My stomach doesn't get along well with garlic supplements. The only drawback may be (for cultivators) increased sexual desire. A few years ago I watch a great BBC documentary about an experiment done with people suffering from erectile dysfunction. The results were great, all of them recovered. Tried to find the documentary on the web but couldn't. Leave you with a link with some information in case you're interested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/healthy/erectiledysfunction.shtml

• Like 3

A general rule of thumb with using medicinal substances: if its flavor and effects are harmonious, it's for longevity and can be taken long term...if its flavor and effects are harsh, it's for treating acute conditions.

• Like 9

Anyone tried crispy, pan-fried garlic as a garnish on steamed or wok-tossed bok choi, mustard greens or spinach drizzled with a few drops of soy sauce and sesame oil? Really really brings the flavour to another level. 

• Like 9

Garlic is good for the body, but not so good for the mind. It contains some sort of bacteria that affects your brain somewhat, and decreases reaction times.

For instance pilots are forbidden from consuming garlic before flying commercially or in the military.

• Like 3

When my wife was sick with flu over Christmas I read a blog about the immune benefits of chewing a clove or two of raw garlic a day. Since I didn't catch anything at the time. I've kept it up as a daily habit.

Aside from the obvious (paint stripper breath) does anyone know if there are any health draw backs from this?

Well I know a health draw back that can happen by chewing, whether it is cloves or chewing gums.  This happens to some people.  Can happen to many, if chewing is done regularly.  The TMJ or Temporomandibular Joint Disorders.  This is a tiny joint  that connects our upper and lower jaws.  The stress from chewing causes some  type of damage there in certain people.  As like everything, the medical science does not know clearly what causes it.  But they advise those that have it, not to chew anything.  This is a chronic and painful disorder.  I know some one that suffered(ing) form this.  I read on the web page (below), this is one of the worst possible pain a person can have.

http://www.tmj.com/

If done in careful moderation, chewing cloves should be okay.   I have read that some people developed a habit for chewing cloves.

• Like 2

Garlic is good for the body, but not so good for the mind. It contains some sort of bacteria that affects your brain somewhat, and decreases reaction times.

For instance pilots are forbidden from consuming garlic before flying commercially or in the military.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Some Hindu sects are prohibiting their adepts from the consumption of garlic/onion due to it's effects on the brain. From my personal experience, after NOT having garlic/onion for many months and then having it, the energetic state of my being was certainly different. I think it does DO something for your meridians/qi flow, but I did not figure out what exactly and I did not do enough "garlic" fasting again to figure that out. 

If you talk to a hard-core Indian born(raised) followers of such believes, you could see how their facial expressions are changing if you mention garlic at at all.  

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=why+indians+do+not+eat+garlic

Edited by qicat
  • Like 4

Rajasic and tamasic foods are also not used because they are detrimental to meditation and devotions. "Garlic and onions are both rajasic and tamasic, and are forbidden to yogis because they root the consciousness more firmly in the body", says well-known authority on Ayurveda, Dr. Robert E. Svoboda.

Some branches of western medicine say that the Alliums have specific health benefits; garlic is respected, at least in allopathic medical circles, as a natural antibiotic. In recent years, while the apparent cardiovascular implications of vegetable Alliums has been studied in some detail, the clinical implications of onion and garlic consumption from this point of view are still not well understood.

Nevertheless, there are still many adverse things to say about garlic and onions. Not so well known is the fact that garlic in the raw state can carry harmful (potentially fatal) botulism bacteria. Perhaps it is with an awareness of this that the Roman poet Horace wrote of garlic that it is “more harmful than hemlock".

It should be pointed out that Garlic and onion are avoided by spiritual adherents because they stimulate the central nervous system, and can disturb vows of celibacy. Garlic is a natural aphrodisiac. Ayurveda suggests that it is a tonic for loss of sexual power from any cause, sexual debility, impotency from over-indulgence in sex and nervous exhaustion from dissipating sexual habits. It is said to be especially useful to old men of high nervous tension and diminishing sexual power.

The Taoists realized thousands of years ago that plants of the alliaceous family were detrimental to humans in their healthy state. In his writings, one sage Tsang-Tsze described the Alliums as the "five fragrant or spicy scented vegetables" - that each have a detrimental effect on one of the following five organs - liver, spleen, lungs, kidneys, and heart. Specifically, onions are harmful to the lungs, garlic to the heart, leeks to the spleen, chives to the liver and spring onions to the kidneys.

Tsang-Tsze said that these pungent vegetables contain five different kinds of enzymes which cause "reactions of repulsive breath, extra-foul odour from perspiration and bowel movements, and lead to lewd indulgences, enhance agitations, anxieties and aggressiveness," especially when eaten raw.

all info from:

http://www.krishna.com/why-no-garlic-or-onions

Edited by qicat
  • Like 3

When my wife was sick with flu over Christmas I read a blog about the immune benefits of chewing a clove or two of raw garlic a day.

There are many other options better than this. You'll end up smelling like s badger over time :D

Thanks for bringing this up.

Some Hindu sects are prohibiting their adepts from the consumption of garlic/onion due to it's effects on the brain. From my personal experience, after NOT having garlic/onion for many months and then having it, the energetic state of my being was certainly different. I think it does DO something for your meridians/qi flow, but I did not figure out what exactly and I did not do enough "garlic" fasting again to figure that out.

If it has an effect on the brain, then that is easily verifiable. But so far, nothing.

Just because some sects have some strange requirements, does not render them immune to superstition. Or are we to just accept anything wholesale lie a Testament on stone tablets, just because it is spiritual?

There are lot of advanced lineages that have no trouble at all with garlic et al, and in fact have the power to be able to transmute all kinds of substances. Some lineages are connected to spirits who don't like certain things - such as garlic - and others have heavenly lieages that are immune.

But frankly, I lean toward a misguided and rudimentary understanding of plants from the past.

M

• Like 2

I just caught a cold a few days ago and I had annoing runny nose. Therefore, after reading this topic, I decided to try the method of chewing garlic. After I ate two cloves of garlic my runny nose stopped. I can not say that I have fully recovered, but I definitely felt better.
I think i should to continue with garlic therapy. Thanks for the topic.

• Like 2

Only thing I've heard negative was as mentioned; whether your stomach and friends can handle it  :D

My taiji master (back in the day) was a TCM doctor and he said that hot water with garlic is the best way to start the day... use a drop or two of honey if needed.   Because I am currently doing hot water with lemon right now, I planned to change to garlic in a few weeks to see if I notice any difference.   Likely I should ask my wife :ph34r:

• Like 3

On 29.12.2017 at 2:35 PM, Pavel Karavaev said:

I think i should to continue with garlic therapy. 

On the second day I recovered. So this time the garlic cold therapy worked good enough. The only negative that I felt was that chewing garlic somewhat dehydrated my body. But not too much.

18 hours ago, dawei said:

Only thing I've heard negative was as mentioned; whether your stomach and friends can handle it  :D

It's better to smell garlic than to be sick. In any case, if I'm sick, then I stay at home alone. So that is ok. 

Edited by Pavel Karavaev
  • Like 1

On 28.02.2017 at 10:44 AM, Gerard said:

There are many other options better than this. You'll end up smelling like s badger over time :D

Ginger infuse could be a good alternative.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2017 at 9:14 PM, Aetherous said:

A general rule of thumb with using medicinal substances: if its flavor and effects are harmonious, it's for longevity and can be taken long term...if its flavor and effects are harsh, it's for treating acute conditions.

The 2000 years old medical book: Serg Nongs Herbal classic; considered today as the oldest book on oriental herbal medicine, classifies 365 species of roots of grass, woods, furs, animals and stones separates herbal medicines into 3 categories.  

The first category, called superior, includes herbs effective for multiple diseases and mostly responsible for maintaining and restoring the body balance.   They have no unfavorable side effects.  

The second category, middle, comprises tonics and boosters and their consumption must not be prolonged.  

The third category, low, must be taken usually in small dosages and for specific ailments. This category includes some poisonous herbs.

• Like 1

Another pronounced benefit of including small amounts of raw garlic in the diet is the cure/prevention of mouth ulcers and other common gum diseases. 

I confess im a long-term user of raw/cooked garlic, and for years now have never had any oral infections, not even a sore throat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C T said:

Another pronounced benefit of including small amounts of raw garlic in the diet is the cure/prevention of mouth ulcers and other common gum diseases. 

I confess im a long-term user of raw/cooked garlic, and for years now have never had any oral infections, not even a sore throat. 

This is interesting as my experience is that garlic irritates the mucous membrane in the mouth. DO you have any support in studies or is it you personal experience that garlic can prevent mouth ulcers?

1 hour ago, idquest said:

This is interesting as my experience is that garlic irritates the mucous membrane in the mouth. DO you have any support in studies or is it you personal experience that garlic can prevent mouth ulcers?

Its from personal experience, Idquest. 

As with all things, moderation is key. 

Another confession now... even though I started with small quantities, this going back maybe 30 years, I am still eating raw in moderation mostly, and a bit more extravagant with cooked garlic - tending to saturate pastas and curries with many cloves of this wonderful bulb. 

For those who like to experiment, try making a simple condiment of coarsely chopped garlic, diced cucumber (smallish), sliced green chillies and topped with a good quality soy sauce. This goes very well with any soft meat that's been boiled in soups or stews. Sometimes i'd add balsamic vinegar and reduce the quantity of soya sauce. Yumz

Just did a quick browse and found this - 

https://www.earthclinic.com/toothache/garlic.html

Edited by C T
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gendao said:

I had never heard of Phellinus linteus, the studies on it are phenomenal. Thanks for flagging it up

• Like 1