Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

Spaceship Earth

Nuclear engines are slow. I'd suggest to you building a warp drive or guiding Earth through an artificial wormhole.

But I can't help wondering, where would you like this planet to go to where it isn't already by itself?

• Like 2

lets put giant Dharma engines on the back of our skulls so we can fly them like a spaceships, no need to mess with the Lady Earth.

• Like 3

I love sky gazing as much as anyone, but it can be a little boring at times.  I say move the earth somewhere a little more interesting.  A place with Saturns and Jupiters over head, 100 times bigger then the moon creating solar eclipses that last for hours. 

You wouldn't want to live in earthquake prone areas or within 1,000 miles of any large bodies of water, but it'd be damned interesting. 

• Like 1

I say terra form Mars but only allow hippies that have VW. love buses with 8 track tapes playing Creedence Clearwater to go there.  (or those that can adapt to same)

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 2

forget Mars, I'm heading to Venus,

that's where all the woman hang out

and I like them odds. 

• Like 2

but we can't see the women on Venus unless our 3rd eyes are fully developed, thus they won't really exist unless they choose to transform themselves into less subtle koshas that we can see...

• Like 2

forget Mars, I'm heading to Venus,

that's where all the woman hang out

and I like them odds. 

Dont believe everything that you hear  .....

• Like 2

Let's build a giant Nuclear engine on one side of the Earth and fly the planet like a spaceship

I am surprised no one has posted this .

Earth already is a space ship, on a journey, with a destination .  

Nuclear engines , warp drives and all your other puny human technology is no match for the engine that drives us , we use the energy that is spread throughout the Universe, is free and inexhaustible. 

I challenge anyone to come up with a better one . 

The problem with the passengers is , a lot of them got caught up in 'individual ego survival' .   On that trip , I suppose not much of  '  the plan '     makes sense ? 

1374189193_GRAVITY_TRAIN_GREEN.jpg?14674

• Like 4

When, after a long day of running around, you finally find the time to relax in your favorite armchair, nothing seems easier than just sitting still. But have you ever considered how fast you are really moving when it seems you are not moving at all?

To make one complete rotation in 24 hours, a point near the equator of the Earth must move at close to 1000 miles per hour (1600 km/hr). The speed gets less as you move north, but it's still a good clip throughout the United States

the Earth also revolves around the Sun. We are approximately 93 million miles (150 million km) from the Sun, and at that distance, it takes us one year (365 days) to go around once. The full path of the Earth's orbit is close to 600 million miles (970 million km). To go around this immense circle in one year takes a speed of 66,000 mph ( 107,000kph ) .

Relative to the local standard of rest, our Sun and the Earth are moving at about 43,000 miles per hour (70,000 km/hr) roughly in the direction of the bright star Vega in the constellation of Lyra.

In addition to the individual motions of the stars within it, the entire Galaxy is in spinning motion like an enormous pinwheel .  The speed with which the Sun has to move is  483,000 miles per hour (792,000 km/hr) .

How fast is the Milky Way Galaxy moving? The speed turns out to be 1.3 million miles per hour (2.1 million km/hr).

So we are moving at a fair clip around the Earth, around the Sun, around the Milky Way, and through the Universe. 

( And you dont even have to hang on to the arms of your armchair !  ) 

https://astrosociety.org/edu/publications/tnl/71/howfast.html

• Like 6

When, after a long day of running around, you finally find the time to relax in your favorite armchair, nothing seems easier than just sitting still. But have you ever considered how fast you are really moving when it seems you are not moving at all?

To make one complete rotation in 24 hours, a point near the equator of the Earth must move at close to 1000 miles per hour (1600 km/hr). The speed gets less as you move north, but it's still a good clip throughout the United States

the Earth also revolves around the Sun. We are approximately 93 million miles (150 million km) from the Sun, and at that distance, it takes us one year (365 days) to go around once. The full path of the Earth's orbit is close to 600 million miles (970 million km). To go around this immense circle in one year takes a speed of 66,000 mph ( 107,000kph ) .

https://astrosociety.org/edu/publications/tnl/71/howfast.html

Monty Python says it best :)

• Like 4

Nuclear engines are slow. I'd suggest to you building a warp drive or guiding Earth through an artificial wormhole.

But I can't help wondering, where would you like this planet to go to where it isn't already by itself?

i thought it'd be nice to fly it into a more warmer and stable orbit around the sun, but i just had this thought because its COLD out there....not much of a winter person lols

• Like 1

I love sky gazing as much as anyone, but it can be a little boring at times.  I say move the earth somewhere a little more interesting.  A place with Saturns and Jupiters over head, 100 times bigger then the moon creating solar eclipses that last for hours. 

You wouldn't want to live in earthquake prone areas or within 1,000 miles of any large bodies of water, but it'd be damned interesting. 

a fellow creative thinker!

• Like 1

I think that my idea will be very useful several billion years from now when the sun expands into a red giant or something....some would say build spaceships and leave the Earth, but I say make the Earth a controllable ship that can be moved to ideal orbits to extend its liveability

• Like 1

i thought it'd be nice to fly it into a more warmer and stable orbit around the sun, but i just had this thought because its COLD out there....not much of a winter person lols

I see ... global warming ,  oceans rising, people being displaced , Bhutan about to be ruined ......   but if you get a little chilly ... let's move even closer to the sun to warm you up a bit . 

Or, you could put a coat and gloves on for a bit  . . . . . .   if it not too much if an inconvenience  . 

^_^

• Like 1

I think that my idea will be very useful several billion years from now when the sun expands into a red giant or something....some would say build spaceships and leave the Earth, but I say make the Earth a controllable ship that can be moved to ideal orbits to extend its liveability

....  and what keeps everything alive on earth ,  while it is out there , wandering around with no Sun and a stable orbit around it ? 

(Aside from the sheer audacity to think we will still be here  several billion years from now ! )

• Like 3

.... and what keeps everything alive on earth , while it is out there , wandering around with no Sun and a stable orbit around it ?

(Aside from the sheer audacity to think we will still be here several billion years from now ! )

Long underwear.

EDIT: And maybe a scarf...

Edited by Brian
  • Like 2

and don't forget sunscreen.

that reminds me, I was taken to the movie Passengers, I didn't have high hopes for it, but it was good.  A genteel scify film about a large space ship on a 120 year voyage to a new system w/ 5,000 passengers in stasis and some awake 90 years early.   I kept waiting for aliens, bad buys, stories of dystopia, but didn't get it.  Instead human ingenuity and love. 

Thus thematically like The Martian, no enemies, bad guys or aliens, just every day man, ingeniously surviving in a dangerous world. 

The 'Hope' genre. 

Speaking of Mars:

It seems that Mars should be a lot bigger than it is because it should have attracted all the objects in the Asteroid Belt but Jupiter screwed that up.

we will be in trouble if they bring those "Sand Kings"  (per movie) back to earth. 

the movie, "Sand Kings" had Beau Bridges staring in it - he played a scientist who took a sample of Mars soil home with him to experiment on, (which was supposed to be destroyed) thus saving the smart alien bugs in it that grew up to become large ant like creatures on steroids - which ate him,  after that they migrated to the country side to setup home.  

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this