bonsai_tree_sage

Advice for Mindfulness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvKXaY2Dt3c

also look for 6 R's from him. It's life changer entering into jhanas and many bliss states.

http://www.dhammasukha.org/the-6rs.html

Constantly remind yourself that this moment is inevitable and you are responsible for everything in your life.

Edited by SeekerOfHealing
  • Like 3

It helps to stay mindful if you approach it with a mood of investigation... for example, get curious about the impermanence of everything you're experiencing.

The experience of breathing can be broken down into many pulses of air, muscular movements, all really rapidly arising and passing. Each thought - many pulses of mental experience. Same with everything!

Does anything last for over a moment? Be curious, try to get to know firsthand how experience works in a nonconceptual, direct, moment-to-moment way.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the DB's. :)

• Like 3

Morning practice is helpful as it refreshes presence in your being state and is then easier to abide in it time and again throughout the day.

Evening practice is helpful as it refreshes the relaxed state prior to sleep and releases reactionary buildup.

• Like 2

So far my focus has been on adding what we know now as a commentary on "the concentration on in-breathing and out-breathing", also translated as "the mindfulness of in-breathing and out-breathing" (MN III 82-84--not the same description as Satipatthana--this, Gautama described as own his way of living).  My writing is a bit round-about, but you can find my overview of the Pali sermon material in the work referenced in my introduction, and I give the Pali and medical sources in the footnotes of each section:

A Natural Mindfulness

I'm not that mindful, but when I am, there's a happiness associated with it.  Of course, I hope that will grow the mindfulness, but I confess it remains to be seen.  

The relationship between posture and mindfulness has not been easy for me to uncover, but understanding that was my necessity and what drove my research and my writing; I hope this helps, if you have something of the same issue.

Good luck!

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Like 3

Can anyone share some good advice for staying mindful and in the present?   

Believe that it can be fun, and that it doesn't have to be extremely difficult. When you believe that, it will be your experience.

Also, be clear that you really and truly want to do it. For many people, it's more of a fantasy than something they truly want. If you're not clear that you really want to undertake the practice, ask God or whatever you think of as a higher power to help you get clear. It may very well be that the lifelong undertaking of mindfulness isn't for you, and that's OKAY if that's the case. Do what gives you joy.

Finally, experiment with the affirmation, "I am aware."

Saying that to yourself can immediately help you become more aware.

A variation of that affirmation is, "I am aware that I am aware." That's very helpful too.

Enjoy the journey- that matters more than reaching the destination.

Btw, I'm currently reading "Mindfulness for Beginners" by Jon Kabat-Zinn and it's really good.

• Like 1