Sign in to follow this  
Geof Nanto

Off Topic Discussions

What I was wanting was some means to limit these, so as to keep our focus on what makes Dao Bums unique - namely this site's non-partisan and non-denominational framework that allows and encourages a great diversity of discussion on all matters spiritual.

Limiting certain discussions (attempting to make the forum non-partisan and non-denominational, when in fact it's just eclectic and egalitarian) seems like silencing people to me. I don't think going in that direction encourages diversity of discussion...it attempts to stamp it out.

Also, the General Forum and others like the Daoist sub-forum are for all matters spiritual. I want to say this in a way that comes off as respectful to you: if all you're wanting is spiritual discussion, it's best to stay in the areas that are for that.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 3

Limiting certain discussions (attempting to make the forum non-partisan and non-denominational, when in fact it's just eclectic and egalitarian) seems like silencing people to me. I don't think going in that direction encourages diversity of discussion...it attempts to stamp it out.

Also, the General Forum and others like the Daoist sub-forum are for all matters spiritual. I want to say this in a way that comes off as respectful to you: if all you're wanting is spiritual discussion, it's best to stay in the areas that are for that.

It seems to me you've misinterpreted what I'm saying. Perhaps you could read all my posts on this thread again? By 'non-partisan and non-denominational' I was referring to the framework of this forum, not the content. In other words this forum doesn't have an editorial point of view. Its basic guideline comes from its name: "The Dao Bums: Discussions on the Way", and there are a minimal set of forum behavior rules that I'm sure you're aware of.

• Like 2

It seems to me you've misinterpreted what I'm saying. Perhaps you could read all my posts on this thread again? By 'non-partisan and non-denominational' I was referring to the framework of this forum, not the content. In other words this forum doesn't have an editorial point of view. Its basic guideline comes from its name: "The Dao Bums: Discussions on the Way", and there are a minimal set of forum behavior rules that I'm sure you're aware of.

Ah sorry, I think you may be right. I fully agree with your original post here.

• Like 2

I think there is a valid point here...  If the Way is varied and free to flow... then most topics should be open for discussion... whether the actual posts and content can remain within the boundaries of the rules is the issue.

I get that the OP was maybe about 'less is best'...   but I think we do need to balance it with the range of normal interaction.

• Like 3

Perhaps you are not understanding me well. 

Obviously!

Having political discussions into the Pit, in the middle of all the other stinky threads may be a little confusing today because the Pit is more or less associated with some area where the bad threads (with the bad guys) end.

But I like the idea that members who really want to put aside their ethics and cultivation for a while could discuss politics in some specific area, in a private Off-Topic subforum ("the Cage"/"the Ring" or something like that).

You are right, there could be a warning saying that (over)-sensitive members should stay away from the area because no mod will come to rescue them at the first bruise on their ego. So this could be a loosely moderated area. We don't want to put more workload on mods.

• Like 4

We have Daoist, Buddhist, Hindu, Esoteric, sections which are more focused on cultivation and spiritual concerns. The Off Topic section is useful space as is---for a variety of topics that can be discussed here among cultivators and non-cultivators alike. 

• Like 2

And besides, Off Topic is where I share my music.

There are some good things in there too :)

• Like 4

This discussion has made apparent to me how Dao Bums has evolved to its current format through a slow process of natural selection. Nothing can be changed without unintended consequences. It wasn’t my intention to marginalise those who constructively use this forum as much, if not more, for its non-spiritual content. 

Having pondered the pro and cons of everyone’s suggestions (including my own) my wish now is to retain the current format. I’ve expressed something of my perspective. I’ve been listened to and others have responded in various thoughtful ways. That outcome is enough to leave me feeling satisfied.
  • Like 4

Always good to stop reflect and consider from time to time.

Yes, I do that a lot. Perhaps even a little excessively. At this stage of my life I definitely could not - and have no wish to - function as a politician, even when it comes to the internal politics of this site. 

Edited by Yueya

It raised an issue that has been raised for years... Off-topic can get so far off-topic that it feels uncomfortable... and yet, the PIT is not exactly the right place either.

The staff is continuing to talk about this and considering a kind of three tier off-topic which is basically:

1. WWW - owner's permission based

2. Off-topic - as we know it today but with lighter topics and public view

3. Off-grid - or whatever name... and for more critical comment and discussion on more difficult topics that are not public view.

Likely Off-grid will be more like the PIT in that participation is not trying to encourage controversy but is trying to give a place for those topics that we face in everyday life and want to air... but they have to be within the rules, although they would be less moderated; posters have to accept the area for what it is and know when not to step in, and when to step out...

This seems to balance the various issues and concerns and preserves the board's use and image.   

• Like 1

This discussion has made apparent to me how Dao Bums has evolved to its current format through a slow process of natural selection. Nothing can be changed without unintended consequences. It wasn’t my intention to marginalise those who constructively use this forum as much, if not more, for its non-spiritual content. 

Having pondered the pro and cons of everyone’s suggestions (including my own) my wish now is to retain the current format. I’ve expressed something of my perspective. I’ve been listened to and others have responded in various thoughtful ways. That outcome is enough to leave me feeling satisfied.

Too late! Ripples spread.

;)

• Like 4

Too late! Ripples spread.

;)

Such is the Way. I have no regrets in pursuing the topic. The feelings I expressed were authentic, including my final summation. I'm totally OK to leave the rest in the lap of the gods. (Or in the case of Dao Bums, the staff. )

• Like 7

THOUGHTS ON USE OF OFF-TOPIC

We recently had a topic started in Off-topic that was Pitted and Locked for review.  Part of the problem is the topic doesn't really belong in public view on some level.   So that seems to fit what what this topic has been about.

The bigger issue to me is that the topic was previously started [by the same member] and Pitted.  So it is already in the Pit and any continuation would be expected in that thread, not in a new one that precedent has shown doesn't belong in Off-Topic but the Pit.

Staff can only go so far towards considering structure changes to balance concerns and needs.  If members don't apply some common sense and judgement about the topics they start, and re-start after previous ones were Pitted, then we really have a bigger problem on our hands than just structure.

Someone might argue, if you improve the structure then topics can be appropriately placed.   I get that but let's realize that it doesn't do any good to re-start the same topic over and over when it is  know to be controversial in the first place.  It begins to feel more like spam or propaganda on some level. 

And I would add that as a discussion forum, there should be some words put to the first post in order to start some discussion, which would assume that the topic is potentially of interest for others to discuss.   If there is a pattern of a member wanting to start topics with no words and/or they consistently get no interaction, or negative interaction, we might need to consider whether this is just too disruptive a tactic and not really discussion oriented nor intended.

• Like 8

we really have a bigger problem on our hands than just structure.

I think so. I have thought about this a lot, and I didn't find any solution. I hope someone will.

• Like 3

You claim to be persecuted? and persecute at the same time? you want acceptance? but condemn others?

the "anti authoritarians" wanting bans, suppression of speech/ historical review... as we all trust government agencies so much :) they've no ulterior agendas right?

The WMDs in Iraq were absolute truth hm? how many other examples? 

Free speech isn't to protect what is already accepted (without question)

Edited by Sionnach

Sign in to follow this