Astral Monk

Looking for a Dhāraṇī...any ideas?

Hi all,

Some time back I read some passage somewhere (I know LOL) where a dhāraṇī was given, and one of the key results of reciting this mantra was that the person would be able to understand the speech of animals.

Now I can't for the life of me find this, even though I know its in one of my books.

I think it was given by demons or nagas, and not recited by a Boddhisattva or Buddha. I thought it was connected to Medicine Buddha, but it could be from Lotus Sutra.

Ring any bells for anyone? I'm not seeing much on google that is helping.

thanks,

8)

egg tarts & farts. A pair made in heaven!  :D

Coming back to your question: Personally cant assist, but recall that years ago I met a very interesting Taoist priest at a temple in Tseung Wan, Hong Kong, who claims to be able to communicate with animals, both dead and alive. If memory serves me well, it was the Man Mo Temple. His surname is Leung. Visitors to the temple call him 'Leung Tai Si'. Fancy a trip to Hong Kong, if you are nearby? If you dont find him, at least you will find and eat the most delicious dan tarts in the world!! 

There are many mantras to attain siddhi but reciting mantra without initiation is useless.

Interesting. Which Buddhist sutra suggests 'initiation' is required for mantra recitation?

Mantras always seem to be presented as divine gifts to assist people. I've never seen a requirement for their use other than mindful recitation.

What does 'initiation' mean here anyway..?

8)

All esoteric sutras stress things into abhiseka which is initiation. Otherwise you can just say dog, cat or whatever other sound/mantra would you like to train your concentration - it's just buddhist mantras can be more appealing by their concept or form as buddhist or holy or whatever related to positive/clean/holy state of mind - but this is just psychological thing.

True esoteric schools initiate person into mysteries which make mantras works on different level beyond people imagination. Unless you got recognition from higher realms you are just reciting words.

Initiation is when you got empowerment for your mantra (not in tibetan terms) and connection, recognition to spiritual world after that mantra can start to work miracles otherwise any fool could recite mantra and kill/heal/be rich etc.

Edited by SeekerOfHealing