blackstar212

what is dan dao?

In reading some of the threads I notice people using the words Dan Dao. I put this into google and I get. 

Bile duct?

well it sure  did induce a lot of bile 

• Like 3

Golden elixir is difficult to reach.

Golden elixir is formed in the emptiness.

But before golden elixir, there are many kind of dan.

For example, 黍米丹

Liu yi min classified dan into two kinds.

One is 小還丹 small dan.

One is 大還丹 big dan

These two kinds are totally different.

• Like 1

So what is dan dao 丹道?

lol...right?

How you doing, brother? So I just did a quick poke around on google and best I can tell dan dao is synonymous with inner alchemy. Mind you I am wholly unaware of any detail beyond that vague assessment, but at least I can offer you a starting point. I found the website fiveimmortals.com

Peace

lol...right?

How you doing, brother? So I just did a quick poke around on google and best I can tell dan dao is synonymous with inner alchemy. Mind you I am wholly unaware of any detail beyond that vague assessment, but at least I can offer you a starting point. I found the website fiveimmortals.com

Peace

I know we all search on google and think to find the answer. Unfortunately, when is this kind of questions, you get more confused that enlightened. Go figure. I was expecting some practical responses.

Dan Dao is the study of Elixir in Daoism.

It is separated into three big practices:

1:  Di Yuan:  the earth origin aspect of elixir practices.  It is concerned with making medicines which are meant to strengthen the health of the body in order to make people more able to practice meditation successfully.    This type of practice became unpopular in the Tang dynasty, but in the 20th century some teachers reformulated it in order to include things like Chinese medicine (Chen Yingning, Hu Haiya et al.)

2: Tian yuan:  heaven origin of elixir practices.  It is specifically based on meditation and the internal elixir system of meditation, which as awaken pointed out uses emptiness to refine the essence, energy, and spirit and return to the Dao.

3: Ren Yuan: human origin of elixir practices.  It is a combination of heaven and earth, yin and yang, and is manifested in the form of physical health preservation techniques such as Qi Gong, Daoist yoga, and in modern times, the internal martial arts.

The most important of these three methods from a Daoist perspective is Tian Yuan, but the most popular is Ren Yuan because so many people practice Daoist related health preservation exercises.

It doesn't matter which one you practice, or if you practice all of them,the first goal is longevity, the next goal is spiritual achievement and liberation through immortality.

• Like 4

Dan Dao is the study of Elixir in Daoism.

It is separated into three big practices:

1:  Di Yuan:  the earth origin aspect of elixir practices.  It is concerned with making medicines which are meant to strengthen the health of the body in order to make people more able to practice meditation successfully.    This type of practice became unpopular in the Tang dynasty, but in the 20th century some teachers reformulated it in order to include things like Chinese medicine (Chen Yingning, Hu Haiya et al.)

2: Tian yuan:  heaven origin of elixir practices.  It is specifically based on meditation and the internal elixir system of meditation, which as awaken pointed out uses emptiness to refine the essence, energy, and spirit and return to the Dao.

3: Ren Yuan: human origin of elixir practices.  It is a combination of heaven and earth, yin and yang, and is manifested in the form of physical health preservation techniques such as Qi Gong, Daoist yoga, and in modern times, the internal martial arts.

The most important of these three methods from a Daoist perspective is Tian Yuan, but the most popular is Ren Yuan because so many people practice Daoist related health preservation exercises.

It doesn't matter which one you practice, or if you practice all of them,the first goal is longevity, the next goal is spiritual achievement and liberation through immortality.

Thanks and good information to read.

The first text talk about Dan dao is 周易參同契

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantong_qi

If you read this text, you will find it is very different from the Dan dao after Min dynasty.

Dan dao was twisted by small dao.

many Dan dao texts talk about it.

So we need to read the original texts to prevent to be mislead by this small dao. 旁門左道

It is not easy for a beginner to distinguish the Dan dao and small dao.

You can see I try to tell beginners about it- how to distinguish the small dao. And you can see the small dao school attack me a lot.

Edited by awaken
  • Like 1

If you read this text, you will find it is very different from the Dan dao after Min dynasty.  Dan dao was twisted by small dao.

I blame those damn Manchus. "Down with the Qing , restore the Ming!反清复明!

• Like 2

Ha

The Dan dao was not twisted before Song dynasty.

So I suggest people who want to learn Dan dao should read the dao texts before Song Dynasty.

Or you will have a big chance to be mislead.

The first text talk about Dan dao is 周易參同契

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantong_qi

If you read this text, you will find it is very different from the Dan dao after Min dynasty.

Dan dao was twisted by small dao.

many Dan dao texts talk about it.

So we need to read the original texts to prevent to be mislead by this small dao. 旁門左道

It is not easy for a beginner to distinguish the Dan dao and small dao.

You can see I try to tell beginners about it- how to distinguish the small dao. And you can see the small dao school attack me a lot.

you take every question as attack, so no surprise nobody cares to ask anymore...

Small Dao, great Dao - just dodging to cover the differences between own fantasies and words of the ancient teachers.

But obviously you don't care about their words and jumping from one text to another trying to find at least some support. But they all are against "fake dao"...

Speaking about Dan Dao:

when people only read, and never received the ancient method to cultivate Dao, they are fixed on the idea that Dan Dao was appeared very late in history.

They can't understand, that Dan Dao, Neidan texts just continued the earlier Daoist texts by applying the language of the external alchemy, Waidan.

But the method is the same, starting from Dao De Jing and finishing by some modern Neidan books. Moreover, in other traditions it is also the same (Buddhism, Shivaism, european alchemy etc). The key is in practice, when it's obtained, many things become clear.