daimai

What's the rush?

If life is all one big happening, and everything is in a scurry to express itself, then why is there such a rush to preserve life?

Even a noble spiritual tradition like Buddhism is hell bent on preserving life and furthering some kind of spiritual progression, but who says it's supposed to go forward? Why shouldn't it go backwards?

Who said that there is any correct method of doing anything, ever?

I mean seriously, I get that there is coherence and geometry and shit, but why are we supposed to evolve in the first place?

Whatever consequence of any action one might take may be, it's still just an experience like any other, it just has different characteristics, and one of those characteristics being our opinion of it.

Edited by daimai

Even a noble spiritual tradition like Buddhism is hell bent on preserving life

In what way? What do you mean by 'preserving life'?

and furthering some kind of spiritual progression, but who says it's supposed to go forward? Why shouldn't it go backwards?

'Supposed'? Who cares about 'supposed'? The universe doesn't care. Nobody built it to carry out some particular function. Reality just is what it is, does what it does.

The question isn't 'am I meant to progress', but 'do I want to'. Whatever you mean by spiritual progression and going forward.

Who said that there is any correct method of doing anything, ever?

If you don't want any specific outcome for your actions, sure, it doesn't matter what methods you use. But if you want a cup of tea, you'll want to do things like boil water and have a mug and teabag ready.

Whatever consequence of any action one might take may be, it's still just an experience like any other, it just has different characteristics, and one of those characteristics being our opinion of it.

Yeah, but some consequences/experiences are preferable to others.

I mean, it's all the same to the universe whether you help people or run around flaying them (even karma is just an impersonal happening), but you don't live as though these options are exactly equal, do you? Because they aren't equal to you. And when you want to achieve something - and you do - you follow a method you consider likely to bring the results. It's straightforward cause and effect, isn't it?

Don't get too mired in your head. There's always people philosophizing ideas that they obviously don't actually live by. When there is a gulf between your ideas and your everyday life, there's something you're missing. 

• Like 6

Seems to me, the more one learns, puts out effort and takes on responsibility, the more control they have over life.   Having control is reassuring, it gives you choices, not unlimited but more.

One can do anything one wants, but if one wants results, then its better to do things the right way.

• Like 1