Sign in to follow this  
Celtic Dragon

Phobias and Cultivation

I have had the same experience with claustrophobia, and I cannot bring myself to ignore or overcome my fear. I am interested in any of your ideas regarding this.

Does anyone have any experience with meditation or cultivation helping to release a phobia?

I would recomend a psychologist. They fix up that sort of stuff all the time / with various degrees of success. :blink: It's not that easy to help yourself sometimes.

I read that the only fear that you are born with is the fear of falling. All others are learned. I feel that irrational fears are a product of the ego mind. Exposure to our parent's fears, scary movies,stories and such have trained our ego self. Steps to dissolve the ego self may dissolve your fears also.

For me, fears are best addressed by simply asking myself why am I fearful of x? If there is no good reason, then I must simply use the wisdom mind to dispel...a matter of self control similar to not overindulging...because fear is a form of it.

But maybe that's just me:)

Does anyone have any experience with meditation or cultivation helping to release a phobia?

EMDR (link) is something you can do on yourself, and/or with the assistance of a therapist. Very, very simple technique. Worth trying.

To desensitize myself I will ...
You could do any of those things that you mentioned, followed by self-EMDR.

Spiders are amazing creatures. They are found all over the world, including the polar regions where they borough in the snow and prey upon small fish. They are the natural born killers of the insect world that even instinctively build traps (webs) to catch their prey. There are very few spiders that harm humans, but they rid the planet of more than their share of deadly insects (mosquitoes being #1) not only by eating them, but snaring them in their web long after they are gone.

EMDR (link) is something you can do on yourself, and/or with the assistance of a therapist. Very, very simple technique. Worth trying.

You could do any of those things that you mentioned, followed by self-EMDR.

Wow, I am getting a headache when doing that :blink:

joeblast:

...then I must simply use the wisdom mind to dispel...

That works as long as the fear isn't too deeply rooted into you physical or emotional body so that it wrestles away control from your mind. That's what seem to be happening to me. I loose complete control over my actions at some point, when confronted with my phobia induced circumstance.

freeform:

When I was doing my NLP practitioner training, we cured 4 different phobias.

Using a technique like this? http://www.hypnosis.edu/aha/articles/nlp-phobia.asp

Edited by freesun

An interesting thing is the NLP explanation of why EMDR works.

Cool, when I did undergraduate Psychology back in the 90's (depressing to think how long ago that actually was) we didn't have any idea how EMT was working.

Sign in to follow this