Hello eveyone,

I have recently heard that Fujian White Crane is a very practical and effective internal martial art that also has some external aspects within it. I did some research into it and found out that Fujian White Crane is a progenitor art of Wing Chun . It was a video I saw of a FWC lineage holder talking about the history of the art. He mentioned that Wing Chun is only basically half of Fujian White Crane. Does anybody know about the accuracy of these claims? Also how effective is it truly? 

I can only speak about Wing Chun.

I did some research into it and found out that Fujian White Crane is a progenitor art of Wing Chun.

I believe this can't be proven by historical record. There seems to be similarities in each of the legends about their creation.

Fujian White Crane seems to be the progenitor of Okinawan Karate.

It was a video I saw of a FWC lineage holder talking about the history of the art. He mentioned that Wing Chun is only basically half of Fujian White Crane.

:)

Wing Chun is deadly, it has a strong moral code and it will keep on giving until your 80's and 90's. It's a treasure and a joy to practice.

If you are considering to practice a martial art I would say to do the research (as you seem to be doing) about the ones you're interested in and are available to you (the teachers are also important) and follow your heart.

The very same month I've decided that Wing Chun was the one for me a class opened for the first time ever in my city. :)

• Like 3

I saw a few demo/interviews with FWC lineage keeper and he certainly seemed on point with the applications.

Give the time, dedication and knowledge it requires i'm pretty sure it's damn effective even on beginner-intermediate level, but that depends on who you're looking to pummel right ;)

• Like 1

I can only speak about Wing Chun.

I believe this can't be proven by historical record. There seems to be similarities in each of the legends about their creation.

Fujian White Crane seems to be the progenitor of Okinawan Karate.

:)

Wing Chun is deadly, it has a strong moral code and it will keep on giving until your 80's and 90's. It's a treasure and a joy to practice.

If you are considering to practice a martial art I would say to do the research (as you seem to be doing) about the ones you're interested in and are available to you (the teachers are also important) and follow your heart.

The very same month I've decided that Wing Chun was the one for me a class opened for the first time ever in my city. :)

Thanks for the info KuroShiro! I was told by one of my other teachers that FWC is more compatible with the Neigong we practice. I've recently been interested in Wing Chun because of an encounter I had while using public transit. I was having trouble with opening the rear door of the bus, when this elderly man approached me. He said in a heavy chinese accent "You got to use Wing Chun". Then he did what looked like a Pak Sao with both hands and then pushed the door open. It was quite interesting to say the least. I probably should've followed but I was hungry and just wanted to go home and eat lol.

I saw a few demo/interviews with FWC lineage keeper and he certainly seemed on point with the applications.

Give the time, dedication and knowledge it requires i'm pretty sure it's damn effective even on beginner-intermediate level, but that depends on who you're looking to pummel right ;)

It sounds really cool and looks awesome, although I wouldn't even know where to look for a FWC master :huh:

From talking with my wing chun (Ip Chun lineage) teacher and a teacher from the Hung Fa Yi lineage it is pretty well agreed upon that Fujian White Crane is one of the primary influences for the art. Were I at all interested in learning Southern Chinese arts again I'd go with Fujian White Crane over wing chun any day. I find the Crane from Liu Chang I's branch interesting simply because it's obvious he has a lot of the internals already. Fujian White Crane is the progenitor not only of wing chun but Goju-ryu Okinawan karate as well.

• Like 1

It sounds really cool and looks awesome, although I wouldn't even know where to look for a FWC master :huh:

Hey, in my experience there just might be something wonderful just waiting for you to find your way there locally, but then i assume you're in a fairly urban environment for some reason so what do i know :)

But i'm serious, check and ask around locally.

A bonafide FWC master perhaps isn't someone all that easily stumbled across, but plenty southern CMA got "juice" and they're scattered all about the globe. I recommend animal styles and traditional weapons - they promote health, are fun and transformative and if the tradition is alive they're useful.

• Like 2

Hello eveyone,

I have recently heard that Fujian White Crane is a very practical and effective internal martial art that also has some external aspects within it. I did some research into it and found out that Fujian White Crane is a progenitor art of Wing Chun . It was a video I saw of a FWC lineage holder talking about the history of the art. He mentioned that Wing Chun is only basically half of Fujian White Crane. Does anybody know about the accuracy of these claims? Also how effective is it truly?

FWC is considered half internal/half external. That it was the origin of Wing Chun may not be entirely accurate, however, it does have many similarities with the latter, as well as with other Southern styles such as Five Ancestors Fist.

FWC had a major influence on the development of Okinawan Karate, as most obvious in Hakkutsuru Kempo and Matsumura Shorin-ryu respectively - but major katas of the other styles were also derived from FWC. It was an important source of grappling applications (tuite) and pressure points (kyusho). Regarding this and other aspects, its ancient 'bible', the Bubishi, was held in high regard by many an Okinawan master.

Masters teaching FWC in Western countries are somewhat scarce. The most prominent one may be Jwing Ming Yang with his YMMA in California, and branches in a number of other states.

https://youtu.be/w1TCgafM_Zs

This is an interesting Chinese documentary on FWC (with subtitles):

https://youtu.be/XUQsCwMY1lc

• Like 2