Sign in to follow this  
clearclouds

Master Dong Yang Internal Sword

Cloud,

How was the seminar or free lecture recently i missed it>?

WYG

hi,

There's a brief summary on the site, but yeah, they went really well. There should be some video of some highlights of the seminar going up on the site and youtube in the next week or so, i'll post on TB's when it happens to let you, and anyone else who may be interested know.

There's be another free intro around febuary, and there is a April 2008 Daoist Tour of china taking shape at the moment aswell. Rough outline at the moment is shanghai - huangshan - hangzhou - zhongnan - xian - huashan - beijing.

cc

I think since it onlly shows small fragments of the clips it would be pretty hard to judge wether or not he has skill

hmmm ok. each to his own. I'm not here to convince anyone, just to let people know when there's clips up for anyone interested.

You can read about Master Dong Yang on the website.

I have a couple of options at this point in the thread:

a) Argue that Master Dong Yang's achievement of Dao, and hence superior martial ability, is beyond your ability to sense (atleast in these tiny clips like Truth said that is) - which is far too controversial and down right rude.

b ) Grin and be educated about my naivety which is a bit silly to think can reach any truely sound conclusion in a to-and- fro text and video discussion via the net.

c) remain cool and happy, knowing that we all can take what we want from, and judge how we want, the little snippets of someone who many for many years have considerd a Master of Daoist Alchemy.

I like the c) option - each to his own :)

p.s - Hey NightWatchDog,

in answer to your Q of is it me ,my personal opinion is --- "I wish" :) , he has been training approx 40 yrs or so.

happy training

cheers

cc

Edited by clearclouds

Im not a fan of forums but i read what nightwatchdog said.

Too many people have teachers that have to make things more and more complicated with rules and guidelines just to keep the students around. This wealth of useless knowledge does pout up the intellectual ego quite a bit.

Sorry to offend but you have no idea how stupid you look from my perspective.

Any martial arts is in the results. This man is small and thin and i have seen him throw people twice his size, no matter how hard and ferocious they attack (non students always suffer more). He never struggles with anyone - just light and easy movements - no muscle work. People make loud noises and go flying and he is always unaffected. You really feel fear after you come at him hard to try and hurt him - no matter your background.

Edited by sanYuan

p.s - Hey NightWatchDog,

in answer to your Q of is it me ,my personal opinion is --- "I wish" :) , he has been training approx 40 yrs or so.

I'm terribly sorry for the misunderstanding. I've edited my earlier post.

Good luck with your training.

hey NWG, no prob -when I get the footage i'll post some longer vids of him, perhaps yang taiji or some xingyi.

Sanyuan has been thrown around like a ragdoll so many times that its pretty easy for him take offence to any criticism, but in saying that - sanyuan, that was a little rough considering these are only snippets.

-cc

What makes this Daoist? Or internal? I thought it was mediocre at best. Just because you get thrown around doesn't I would. You might be a duffer for all I know.

What makes this Daoist? Or internal? I thought it was mediocre at best. Just because you get thrown around doesn't I would. You might be a duffer for all I know.

yeah, true.

Too hard to prove anything related to training on a forum, like Spectrum says only way to really show/test internal power is to cross hands, because things sometimes appear one way to some and another to others. so we'll only reach an impasse if we try to nut it out on a forum.

I remember from your previous posts that you've been in the game for a long time now so I don't venture to preach to you at all - just to point out the problem with discussing masters online.

kind regards,

CC

hey NWG, no prob -when I get the footage i'll post some longer vids of him, perhaps yang taiji or some xingyi.

Hi Clear,

Would love to se the yang taiji.

Is it possible for anyone to be worse at forms than this?

Ah, perhaps 'forms" is more important to you than feat .

Sorry but I have to stir this one up.

When I saw the vid I thought the form looked sloppy. The Jian wobbled a bit and was sometimes over extended. It was weird how it looked like a mis-match of styles. Too fast for Yang style but similar in forms. Different forms for Chen Style. I didn't recognise it at all.

Achievement of Dao does not equal martial ability. Besides what is there to achieve in Dao? To achieve anything 'Dao' is too miss the point entirely.

I didn't want to comment out of politeness but after someone concurred with my opinion I thought it ok to post. Besides, It turns my stomach when students slavishly follow a teacher and declare him master of everything and this should be pointed out.

The guy is teaching Daoism for no doubt a reasonable fee and has tacked Taiji on to his list of skills to expand his business. Good luck to him. But his Jian form clearly demonstrates his level of Taji Jian.

The words jack of all trades, master of none spring to mind.

No offence meant for anyone, just pointing out he is no master in Taiji Jian.

When I saw the vid I thought the form looked sloppy. The Jian wobbled a bit and was sometimes over extended. It was weird how it looked like a mis-match of styles. Too fast for Yang style but similar in forms. Different forms for Chen Style. I didn't recognise it at all.

Achievement of Dao does not equal martial ability. Besides what is there to achieve in Dao? To achieve anything 'Dao' is too miss the point entirely.

I didn't want to comment out of politeness but after someone concurred with my opinion I thought it ok to post. Besides, It turns my stomach when students slavishly follow a teacher and declare him master of everything and this should be pointed out.

The guy is teaching Daoism for no doubt a reasonable fee and has tacked Taiji on to his list of skills to expand his business. Good luck to him. But his Jian form clearly demonstrates his level of Taji Jian.

The words jack of all trades, master of none spring to mind.

No offence meant for anyone, just pointing out he is no master in Taiji Jian.

When there's a longer and prettier video made, i'll post it and see if your comments differ, but till then all that can be offered is again what spectrum said, that people have to cross hands, or in this case swords to really prove who has mastered form.

The thing is and many will agree on this point is that to judge outer form is one thing, but seeing inner form or power is entirely different. Just like laozi and chuangzi tell us, seemingly coarse or simple dao on the surface can hide unimaginable potential. So yes you may be right on a surface based judgement, but also on another level, in terms of efficiency and power, you must entertain the fact that you may be very very wrong.

cheers,

CC

When I saw the vid I thought the form looked sloppy.

According to this line of reasoning , it follows Jet Li has superior martial skills compared to Bruce Lee, since Jet Li was a "forms" expert having been All China Wushu champion 5 times in a row....whereas Bruce Lee...well he didn't really believe in forms did he? " .. . . . the technique of no technique?"

Personally , to me the Tao means " the right and natural way of doing anything with minimum resistance resulting in powerful and virtuous action" . In Chinese lingo, when someone masters a technique or overcomes a great barrier eg. cooking, ballet, calligraphy, a new language or even math....the people utter " ....... so he has Dao"

It follows achieving Dao equates to mastery over some skill.

What is there to achieve in the Tao?

Nothing and Everything...it all depends on one's perception and attitude.

If you choose to find nothing , you will.

Edited by nutting

Sign in to follow this