labria

Seeking alternative systems

Hey, everyone!

I'm a AYP follower for a year now, but started having doubts recently about his motivations and practives, so looking to find some other "school" to follow, or at least resources for research.

• Like 1

Hello labria, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi labria,

I too have had many doubts in my life. 

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

You'll find plenty of thread on here talking about the "unpleasant" nature of AYP practices. Many systems of cultivation are talked on this forum, best of luck in your quest. Is there something in particular your looking for? 

-Welcome to TDB.  :)

Edited by OldWolf
  • Like 2

You'll find plenty of thread on here talking about the "unpleasant" nature of AYP practices. Many systems of cultivation are talked on this forum, best of luck in your quest. Is there something in particular your looking for? 

-Welcome to TDB.  :)

Thanks!

I've actually decided to join after reading some of the rants about AYP here.

I've been practicing for about a year now ("Deep" Meditation + "Spinal Pranayama", some asanas), and I do feel a lot of progress, but I started feeling that something is off with the AYP system. What dragged me to AYP like a magnet were basically a few things:

• Simple instruction and explanations
  • A well-balanced (?) system of practices to cover the many aspects of yoga
  • LEGO-set style of adding practices when you become comfortable with the previous one.

After some time practicing and reading, I started to get the feeling that Yogani actually stepped into the trap he was denouncing (taking up one limb of Yoga, and hoping it will work alone), but on another level: he's focusing on one (or very few) practices from each limb, ignoring others. Also, after reading some of the critique, it seems Yogani's practices are not as canonical as he presents them, as are some of the terms he's using.

So, if you ask what I'm looking for, I'd have to say "a new practice system". I want a broader look at the practices available and recommended. Eventually, I want to find "my" way to enlightenment (don't we all?).

For now, I'm planning to continue with the my practice schedule, but I want to review it and make sure it's actually beneficial =)

I have a simple standing meditation practice based on the book 'The Way of Energy' by Lam Kam Chuen. It's my daily practice which helps me and isn't too complicated.

• Like 4

Thanks, Miffymog.

Meditation techniques are the least of the problem, IMO. I've found a few good pointers here on the forums. But I don't feel that meditation alone can take me much further.

What I really miss are _other_ techniques, like pranayama, and a _system_ for combining all of the practices.

• Like 2

What I really miss are _other_ techniques, like pranayama, and a _system_ for combining all of the practices.

In layman's terms that's called living.

• Like 2

Thanks, Miffymog.

Meditation techniques are the least of the problem, IMO. I've found a few good pointers here on the forums. But I don't feel that meditation alone can take me much further.

Meditation is definitely important, but your right, practices that stir and shake up the energy body and increase your voltage are key for growth. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Miffymog.

Hi Labria,

Most such advanced systems are teacher/guru based. Are you looking to do stuff on your own from a book (like AYP)? The challenge becomes that without a teacher, one can easily misunderstand various things. While I am not an AYP practioner, I am familiar with the system and have had many discussions with Yogani a few years back suggesting some additions/changes.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks!

I've actually decided to join after reading some of the rants about AYP here.

I've been practicing for about a year now ("Deep" Meditation + "Spinal Pranayama", some asanas), and I do feel a lot of progress, but I started feeling that something is off with the AYP system. What dragged me to AYP like a magnet were basically a few things:

• Simple instruction and explanations
  • A well-balanced (?) system of practices to cover the many aspects of yoga
  • LEGO-set style of adding practices when you become comfortable with the previous one.

After some time practicing and reading, I started to get the feeling that Yogani actually stepped into the trap he was denouncing (taking up one limb of Yoga, and hoping it will work alone), but on another level: he's focusing on one (or very few) practices from each limb, ignoring others. Also, after reading some of the critique, it seems Yogani's practices are not as canonical as he presents them, as are some of the terms he's using.

So, if you ask what I'm looking for, I'd have to say "a new practice system". I want a broader look at the practices available and recommended. Eventually, I want to find "my" way to enlightenment (don't we all?).

For now, I'm planning to continue with the my practice schedule, but I want to review it and make sure it's actually beneficial =)

Thanks, Miffymog.

Send me a private message I will send you something I wrote for you that might help you get going in these things you have interest in.

• Like 2

Here is an interesting resource you may like.  Its a Western hermetic system that feel very Taoist to me.  Rawn Clarks free audio programs.  I like his Archaeous series, an elemental system that goes pretty deep.  I like to do them standing.   When chant and magic mix, you get a canticle, and that is his YHVH kabalic chanting system, that includes some healing techniques.  His Center of Stillness guided meditation is pretty deep if you can get into it. 

Here's the link: http://abardoncompanion.com/csm/contents.html

• Like 1