Sign in to follow this  
Jakara

De-Bunking The Myths

Following the post on science used in religion (http://www.thetaobums.com/Science-and-Physics-in-Religion-t4256.html)

Please use this thread to post any shady-sounding scientific terms you've found to explain religious experience! We can then debunk them with Physics to see if they are accurate or just mumbo-jumbo :-)

Thanks,

Jak

Scientific method

This is a term that doesn't apply in this field of human interest. It becomes mumbo jumbo in this context.

"Scientific Method" is used by every person who practices religion, including taoists. It states that if you do something again and again you get the same results.

This is essential for taoist practices, teachers and students rely on it. Each person practicing a technique wishes to get the same results as described by their teacher. This is how systems are passed down generation at a time, because they get the same results as their teachers and the associated lineage.

Perhaps you mean quantifying the practice with scientific language? In which case I would agree, there is no need to explain proven practices with scientific language.

"Scientific Method" is used by every person who practices religion, including taoists. It states that if you do something again and again you get the same results.

This is essential for taoist practices, teachers and students rely on it. Each person practicing a technique wishes to get the same results as described by their teacher. This is how systems are passed down generation at a time, because they get the same results as their teachers and the associated lineage.

Perhaps you mean quantifying the practice with scientific language? In which case I would agree, there is no need to explain proven practices with scientific language.

Yes I agree with you here.

I may have a preconception here that the scientific method would include measurable results as in brainwave measurement to "explain" inner states. Also that the results should be repeatable in all situations and conditions. On a mountaintop as well as in a lab.

Then the issue shifts a bit if I make a claim that I can do such and such in terms of phenomenon. Even here I don't know if a person with "abilities" could be expected to be able to repeat those abilities under all conditions.

But it is a shame that there are many who misuse and cheat others with claims to abilities subtle and in the realm of phenomenon.

Absolutely, there is no justification for dragging some poor guy to a lab to be made to perfom like a circus monkey for the "interest of science".

That would be the result of personal human desire from an ill-mannered scientist, not science itself. Science itself has no agenda, its just a toolkit for finding the truth.

If however someone says "I can do this, and quantum physics supports it", then they should be able to explain how quantum physics supports it. Otherwise they are using scientific terminology to blind us from the truth.

A lot of scientific debunking is just the love of poking strangers with sticks so you can enjoy the ensuing fight with them.

Take Mormonism, there is a religion that can be particularly easy to poke holes in. But then aren't most religions? You can debunk and criticize yourself into a cold cement corner where nothing is sacred.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be critical, but there are some sacred cows we should allow to roam free in order to stay sociable. Cause cow tipping can be obnoxious, specially when its yours.

Michael

Take Mormonism, there is a religion that can be particularly easy to poke holes in. But then aren't most religions? You can debunk and criticize yourself into a cold cement corner where nothing is sacred.

Speaking as an exmormon: That is one of the (few) reasons that Mormonism is so important, it provides an easily discreditable case to study for comparison with other faiths. It is close enough in history that we can see how many myths and legends grow and evolve quickly, with incredible faith behind them. Horny Ole' Joe had miracles and magic stories attributed to him that many Mormons believe (and many have been and would be willing to die for) that can be countered by contemporary writing and science. Many other religions are protected by only the dust of history.....

Sign in to follow this