thelerner

What would your perfect life be like?

What would you change about your life to make it better?  What job would suit you best?  Where would you live?  What would you change about your body, your attitude and circumstances? 

Preferably nothing magical, but in the realm of possibility what would make you happier? 

For me, I envision living on one of the lesser Hawaiian Islands.   A bartender or barista.   Meeting people, serving them.  Some creativity in drinks, menu and decor.  A beautiful place, with nice walks, some near waterfalls.  Group meditations, sitting and moving, available daily, run by those with passion. 

Bonfires on the beach.  A place that welcomes singing and dancing.  On the island of St Lucia once a week there is an island wide celebration.  Don't know what they celebrate.. maybe just life itself.  I should go back there and check.  Last time there I stayed in an all inclusive.  Nice but stifling, decadent, artificial. 

I'd design hammocks and terrariums.  Terrariums that capture moods.  Ahab on a boat trying to find the great white Beta fish.  A terrariums with miniature rivers and water falls.   Hot deserts, hills with vineyards, working miniature farms..  Hammocks, dual sideways hammocks, dark room hammocks some with sound and projection, minimalist ones too.  How little can you go, in terms of support and rope (4 strands?  5?) 

• Like 5

I'd like a sense of physical purpose, rather than having to live mostly in my mind. I'd either like to make something with my hands, or possibly even revert back to a more animalistic existence.

• Like 2

realm of possibility?  damn, then I cant go back and reverse the war of terror and put all that incriminating savings & loan evidence back in its place.

I just dont like having to spend such a large % of my time on just earning a living.  But such is life, embedded in the wrong end of a counterfeiting operation.

• Like 4

What a vision, Thelerner!  Terrariums?  And "preferably nothing magical?"  Well, you can't fool me -- your non-magical terrariums are a very transparent allusion to what you really want to do magically:  terraforming!

In which case we have the same dream.

I used to fluctuate between two visions.  Terraforming the earth back to what it was for the last million years BB ("before bullshit.")  Restoration is what they call it when they are resurrecting a damaged piece of art...  I'd want to do that for our planet. 

And a more ambitions vision still.  I used to want to be the author of the cat.  The one who originally created the cat.  The Creatress of the Cat.   All cats, of course, the pussycat and the sabre-tooth and the Sphinx.   

So I would be sitting there playing with various designs.  I would probably want this animal I'm in charge of creating to be made not exactly in my own image and likeness, that's for total narcissists, but not entirely unlike me either -- they say that all real artists ultimately paint their self-portrait no matter what they paint, landscapes or battle scenes or animals.  So I would make it very lazy yet capable of bursts of most efficient and productive activity.  I would make it very carnivorous, with no sweet tooth to speak of.  I would make it very flexible and adaptable, capable of living as part of a community or alone, as a completely social animal and as a completely self-sufficient one.  I would...  well, I would have to work on it for a few million years.  It's not the easiest protect, the cat.  But It would keep me interested.  

• Like 5

My life is far from perfect but recently I`ve taken great strides towards making it better.  I get up in the morning and do a little simple practice -- a bit of shaking and arm swinging.  Then I go to Starbucks (yeah, like I say...not quite perfect) where I read, write, and check Taobums.  Most days on my walk back home I stop at a little stand and slurp down a 50 cent oyster.

• Like 2

I suspect I would become increasingly like this guy:

img_6083.jpg

Of course, it could be more like this guy...

• Like 3

OK, so Brian would harass the holy grail seekers.  Sounds like fun.  A perfect life along these lines for me could be something like this:

• Like 4

And right now you`re different from the guy in that second video how?  :glare:

Fireballs.
  • Like 2

I would  be to ;

'Feed my will to feel this moment

Urging me to cross the line

Reaching out to embrace the random

Reaching out to embrace whatever may come

I would)embrace my desire to...

Feel the rhythm

To feel connected

Enough to step aside and

Weep like a widow

To feel inspired

To fathom the power

To witness the beauty

To bathe in the fountain

To swing on the spiral

To swing on the spiral

Of our divinity and

Still be a human

With my feet upon the ground

I would lose myself between the sounds

And open wide to suck it in

and feel it move across my skin

I'd be  reaching up and reaching out

reaching for the random or

Whatever will bewilder me

And following my will and wind

and just go where no one's been

and ride the spiral to the end

And  go where no one's been '

parabola11.jpg

(Apologies to Tool )

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

If your life was perfect, could there be any movement? Or change?

Yeah, I think so.  Part of my perfect (perfect is a bad word) is change.  At 52 I live a few miles from where I was born.  I like travel, meeting new people, seeing new things.  Siddhartha is fine staring 24/7 at a river.  I am not. 

I like my life now, its very good.  I like where I live, but its such a big world.  Places to go, people to meet, experiences to have, adventures to seek out.  Yeah, there is is clinging and desire to that, but that's okay.   It's not so much wanting more, as to see and explore the world I was born into.  A repressed wanderlust.

And right now, its pointed at Kauai Island in Hawaii.  Don't know how and when I'll get there, but I will somehow, some when.   Stay awhile, walk the beaches, get intimate with the many waterfalls.  Eat the fruit and fish of the land and never have to walk too far, or wait too long for sunrise or sunset.  

• Like 1

On November 20, 2016 at 7:12 PM, thelerner said:

What would you change about your life to make it better?  What job would suit you best?  Where would you live?  What would you change about your body, your attitude and circumstances? 

Preferably nothing magical, but in the realm of possibility what would make you happier? 

For me, I envision living on one of the lesser Hawaiian Islands.   A bartender or barista.   Meeting people, serving them.  Some creativity in drinks, menu and decor.  A beautiful place, with nice walks, some near waterfalls.  Group meditations, sitting and moving, available daily, run by those with passion. 

Bonfires on the beach.  A place that welcomes singing and dancing.  On the island of St Lucia once a week there is an island wide celebration.  Don't know what they celebrate.. maybe just life itself.  I should go back there and check.  Last time there I stayed in an all inclusive.  Nice but stifling, decadent, artificial. 

I'd design hammocks and terrariums.  Terrariums that capture moods.  Ahab on a boat trying to find the great white Beta fish.  A terrariums with miniature rivers and water falls.   Hot deserts, hills with vineyards, working miniature farms..  Hammocks, dual sideways hammocks, dark room hammocks some with sound and projection, minimalist ones too.  How little can you go, in terms of support and rope (4 strands?  5?) 

Lerner- what are you waiting for then? Have integrity, be true to yourself and honor yourself by moving forth with this. Anything less compromises the integrity of your person, so by extension your path. If you have the courage to fulfill this, then you will move into the next phase of your life along its rightful path. Maybe it will be as beautiful as you dream or maybe not, but you can be assured being less than whole in each step of your life if you don't take the complete steps in each moment to manifest your personal truths. So do it now and fearlessly! :) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Small Fur said:

Lerner- what are you waiting for then? Have integrity, be true to yourself and honor yourself by moving forth with this. Anything less compromises the integrity of your person, so by extension your path. If you have the courage to fulfill this, then you will move into the next phase of your life along its rightful path. Maybe it will be as beautiful as you dream or maybe not, but you can be assured being less than whole in each step of your life if you don't take the complete steps in each moment to manifest your personal truths. So do it now and fearlessly! :) 

Thanks for bringing this up.  What am I waiting for.. responsibilities, to wife.. kids.. I've compromised my integrity enough so that one more dream delayed is par for the course..

Responsibility is as much a cornerstone of life as dreams.  The plain unglamourous redundant work.. that builds something.. trust.. daily bread.  Little things that shouldn't be belittled. 

Still, I'll get something like it some day.  In the meantime, I'll hit Burning Man(s) and could probably put some work into pieces of the dream.. working on hammocks and terrariums..

Edited by thelerner
turned should into shouldn't. Meant to write 'shouldn't be belittled.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Thanks for bringing this up.  What am I waiting for.. responsibilities, to wife.. kids.. I've compromised my integrity enough so that one more dream delayed is par for the course..

Responsibility is as much a cornerstone of life as dreams.  The plain unglamourous redundant work.. that builds something.. trust.. daily bread.  Little things that should be belittled. 

Still, I'll get something like it some day.  In the meantime, I'll hit Burning Man(s) and could probably put some work into pieces of the dream.. working on hammocks and terrariums..

Lerner, that's beautiful- the hammocks and terrariums! Yes, do start. And remember to, that 'where there is a will, there is a way'.

You could always reconfigure parts of your life to make this dream possible- be these increasing your skills as you mention, or moving your family to the island and continuing your steady job/profession while developing the connections and place for your hobbies. Be creative and resourceful- think outside of the box. You can be responsible while not being traditional. And you can be grounded while pursuing your dreams along together. Share this with your family, brain storm together, and support each other in making your best possible selves in life together. :) 

• Like 2