Wells

Taoist Alchemy - good book resources?

Hi Wells

For taoist alchemy a very goog book is Daoist Alchemy : Nei Gong & Wai Gong Training.

Training in esoteric Daoist Alchemy from the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism.Professor Jerry Alan Johnson

I'm only a student and dont claim anything, I give only my feeling about some qi gong that I do daily as the energy circulation,  internal vibration, channels or chakra activation can be felt quickly but for such a deep spiritual quest you will find only the answer within yourself and not outside. But as far as I know the teaching given into this book is a complete daoist alchemy system.

Eclair_blanc

• Like 2

I wish to add something very important : there is always a transmission/initiation into any lineage. When you have a book you dont have this initiation by a physical master and it can be difficult to make the system work but through your sincere practice and effort you can attain another kind of initiation who is more subtle directly from within, this is possible only if you can overcome yout inner illusion ( imagination, emotional blocks etc).

Edited by Eclair_blanc
  • Like 1

Are people here who have achieved significant spiritual results in taoist alchemy?

If so, can you describe those results?

Are there specific books on the subject you can recommend?

Thanks! :)

My personal advice:

1. No books

2. Find a live teacher that is capable and compassionate not someone who is trying to either promote themselves or an organisation (or both)

3. Work with discipline and consistency with the body in order to reach and understand the mind

4. IMA, preferably the more Yang ones: Bagua and Xingyi

5. Meditation practice: Vipassana and Samatha

6. From time to time take raw Chinese hers that you'll have to decoct in order to neutralise the 'toxins' released from correct, consistent and deep practice.

That's all you'll ever need.

The rest is chaff, I'm afraid.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

Hi Wells

For taoist alchemy a very goog book is Daoist Alchemy : Nei Gong & Wai Gong Training.

Training in esoteric Daoist Alchemy from the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism.Professor Jerry Alan Johnson

I'm only a student and dont claim anything, I give only my feeling about some qi gong that I do daily as the energy circulation,  internal vibration, channels or chakra activation can be felt quickly but for such a deep spiritual quest you will find only the answer within yourself and not outside. But as far as I know the teaching given into this book is a complete daoist alchemy system.

Eclair_blanc

I'd been thinking of mentioning this myself, but I have been busy. Here is more information:

Daoist Alchemy: Nei Gong – Final Edition

Training in esoteric Daoist Alchemy from the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism

Finally, 628 pages of the much sought after secret teachings of esoteric Daoist Alchemy are available to the public for comprehensive reading and practice. Written by a Senior Daoist Abbot for his "Wen (Healer/Scholar) - Wu (Martial)" disciples, and now available to serious students for the purpose of experiencing exciting life-changing transformations. This historic instructional book includes, an introduction to Ancient Chinese Alchemy, Spiritual Transformation, The Metaphysical Realm, Returning to the Original Nature, External Alchemy and Daoist Lower Magic, Internal Alchemy and Daoist Middle Magic, Esoteric Alchemy and Daoist High Magic, Magic and Immortality, The Natural Forces of the Three Powers, Nine Treasures and Daoist Alchemy, Understanding Energy (Qi), The Five Realms of Energy, Energetic Formation of the Universe, The Five Pure Lights, The Yellow River Chart (Hetu), The Luo River Graph, Three Martial, Medical, and Magical Schools of Daoist Neigong Training, The Function of the Body’s Spirit Fires, Introduction to Training Daoist Alchemy, Required Training and Discipline, External and Internal Cultivation Methods, Meditations and Exercises, Sexual Cultivation, Static & Dynamic Postures Training, The Eight Secret Methods, Exercises and Elixirs For Gathering Celestial Yang and Celestial Yin Qi, Gathering The Qi of the Celestial Stars, The Esoteric Words of Daoist Alchemy, Ancient Daoist Graphs, Having an Immortal’s Bones and Understanding Karma, Ritual to Forgive, Release, & Revoke, The Internal Landscape (NeiJing Tu), The Chart for Cultivating Perfection (Xiuzhen Tu), The Taiji Pole of Heaven, Earth, & Man, The Six Transpersonal Chakras & Three Dantians, The 7 Secret Portals of the Upper Dantian, Energetically Activating The 3 Eyes, Lords of the 3 Dantians, The Three Dantians Meditation, The Guarding the One Meditation, The Guarding the Three Ones Meditation, Training Daoist Alchemy, Laying A Foundation, The 100-Day Celibacy Training, The Microcosmic Orbit Meditation, The Macrocosmic Orbit, The Five Element Regulation Meditation, The Fusion of the Eight Trigrams Meditation, Activating the Niwan Palace Meditation, Secret Alchemical Teaching, Magical Fusion With an Internal Body Deity, Sexual-Spiritual Fusion With An External Celestial Deity, Magical-Energetic Fusion With An External Celestial Deity, The Fa Ming Secret Name, The Disciple’s “Most Secret Name,” Feeding The Most Secret Name, Five Steps To Immortality, Creating The Immortal Fetus, 18 Steps To Perfection, The Golden Light Preparation, Gathering The External Alchemical Agent, Gathering the Inner Alchemical Agent , Dragon And Tiger Copulating, Creating the Golden Fetus, Creating The Golden Egg, Opening the Hall of Light, Hatching the Golden Fetus, Bathing & Feeding the Immortal Fetus, The Three Continual Ascensions, Training the Immortal Infant, 10 Stages of Spiritual Transformation, Supernatural Immortal Manifestations, Ascending into Heaven, Service As A Celestial Immortal, Repaying Your Celestial Debt of Life, “Transference of Power” (“Magical Initiation”), and much more!

At 628 pages there is a great deal of information in this book, the last parts of the book deal with material that comes from the work that the book Charles Luk Translated as Taoist Yoga, Alchemy and Immortality is a commentary on.

Daniel Burton-Rose wrote his Master's thesis on the original work, which is both a commentary and partial translation.  In his acknowledgements he thanks Professor Johnson for suggesting the work too him.  The thesis is good and worth a read:

Integrating Inner Alchemy into Late Ming Cultural History

As for Professor Johnson himself, he has spent his life studying Chinese culture, medicine, martial arts and Daoist and Buddhist esoteric practice.  You can find his biographical information on his site which you can get to by the link I posted above for his book.

As I noted there is a great deal of information, almost too much for someone without a either a lot of familiarity with the subject, or a good teacher to guide them through it.  Also at $200.00 US, it will be out of reach for many people.  I have no regrets about purchasing it, or any of the other books of Professor Johnson that I own.

Just to clarify, I am not a student of Professor Johnson, but I have a lot of respect for him and his work.

ZYD

• Like 6

Finally, 628 pages of the much sought after secret teachings of esoteric Daoist Alchemy are available to the public for comprehensive reading and practice. Written by a Senior Daoist Abbot for his "Wen (Healer/Scholar) - Wu (Martial)" disciples, and now available to serious students for the purpose of experiencing exciting life-changing transformations. This historic instructional book includes, an introduction to Ancient Chinese Alchemy, Spiritual Transformation, The Metaphysical Realm, Returning to the Original Nature, External Alchemy and Daoist Lower Magic, Internal Alchemy and Daoist Middle Magic, Esoteric Alchemy and Daoist High Magic, Magic and Immortality, The Natural Forces of the Three Powers, Nine Treasures and Daoist Alchemy, Understanding Energy (Qi), The Five Realms of Energy, Energetic Formation of the Universe, The Five Pure Lights, The Yellow River Chart (Hetu), The Luo River Graph, Three Martial, Medical, and Magical Schools of Daoist Neigong Training, The Function of the Body’s Spirit Fires, Introduction to Training Daoist Alchemy, Required Training and Discipline, External and Internal Cultivation Methods, Meditations and Exercises, Sexual Cultivation, Static & Dynamic Postures Training, The Eight Secret Methods, Exercises and Elixirs For Gathering Celestial Yang and Celestial Yin Qi, Gathering The Qi of the Celestial Stars, The Esoteric Words of Daoist Alchemy, Ancient Daoist Graphs, Having an Immortal’s Bones and Understanding Karma, Ritual to Forgive, Release, & Revoke, The Internal Landscape (NeiJing Tu), The Chart for Cultivating Perfection (Xiuzhen Tu), The Taiji Pole of Heaven, Earth, & Man, The Six Transpersonal Chakras & Three Dantians, The 7 Secret Portals of the Upper Dantian, Energetically Activating The 3 Eyes, Lords of the 3 Dantians, The Three Dantians Meditation, The Guarding the One Meditation, The Guarding the Three Ones Meditation, Training Daoist Alchemy, Laying A Foundation, The 100-Day Celibacy Training, The Microcosmic Orbit Meditation, The Macrocosmic Orbit, The Five Element Regulation Meditation, The Fusion of the Eight Trigrams Meditation, Activating the Niwan Palace Meditation, Secret Alchemical Teaching, Magical Fusion With an Internal Body Deity, Sexual-Spiritual Fusion With An External Celestial Deity, Magical-Energetic Fusion With An External Celestial Deity, The Fa Ming Secret Name, The Disciple’s “Most Secret Name,” Feeding The Most Secret Name, Five Steps To Immortality, Creating The Immortal Fetus, 18 Steps To Perfection, The Golden Light Preparation, Gathering The External Alchemical Agent, Gathering the Inner Alchemical Agent , Dragon And Tiger Copulating, Creating the Golden Fetus, Creating The Golden Egg, Opening the Hall of Light, Hatching the Golden Fetus, Bathing & Feeding the Immortal Fetus, The Three Continual Ascensions, Training the Immortal Infant, 10 Stages of Spiritual Transformation, Supernatural Immortal Manifestations, Ascending into Heaven, Service As A Celestial Immortal, Repaying Your Celestial Debt of Life, “Transference of Power” (“Magical Initiation”), and much more!

Sweet Lord! Scary stuff. :D

No need for any of it but finding the best method that works for you and PURIFIES YOUR MIND. Otherwise you are wasting your time to be honest.

• Like 2

back to that neurology stuffz again, hehe ;)

solve it at a really base fundamental level, rote the f* out of anapanasati, and a calm clear mind free of useless mental chatter is only a matter of when it arrives, not if.

I wouldnt be so confident in saying so if I hadnt done it myself....more than a few times...

Edited by joeblast
  • Like 5

Are people here who have achieved significant spiritual results in taoist alchemy?

If so, can you describe those results?

Always plenty of recommendations...

With very few significant results, lol.

I think all the old traditions are useful only as clues before you know what you're looking for...

And for retroactive confirmation once you do.

The real intents are all largely hidden and/or lost...

So, until you know what you're looking for,

You won't notice or see it anywhere you look.

While once you do, you'll see it everywhere there's real results.

Well clearly, most of us have no idea what we're looking for yet!

:lol:

Edited by gendao
  • Like 2

Zheng Yi have no neidan practices. (in Singapore branches at least)

And never had them anywhere...but $200 is $200.

• Like 1

It's akin to all the mystery of all the ancient stone megaliths.  They all still stand today, millenia later - concrete proof taunting us that they knew something that we still don't.  Countless books and videos have been produced speculating about how they were built...but probably the only one who actually knew and could PROVE IT BY REPLICATING THE RESULTS - was Edward Leedskalnin.  And no one else can understand his cryptic explanations..

giant-slabs-coral-castle.jpg?itok=LAVct5

pyra-factskhufuentrance.jpg

ollantaytambo.jpg

mosaicrock.jpg?w=474&h=363

s76609808.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

1368036097512.jpg

Taula-Menorca.jpg

c8b593a99d6e240fad7b3ac75e231e9f.jpg

Easy to speculate, generalize, and talk...  But much harder to actually DO!

Edited by gendao
  • Like 2

Hi,

I have been practising Neidan for a number of years and have published a book on the subject.  You can link to it from my website www.daoistmeditation.com

I also have a blog there which touches on subjects as diverse as meditation theory, Daoist philosophy, religion, and tea culture.  Welcome to have a look.

As for spiritual cultivation results,  I have dramatically changed the way I behave and view the world through meditation, although I haven't flown away on any clouds to the tai qing heavens yet  :) :) :) :) :)

• Like 3

Damo Mitchells book White moon on the Mountain peak is at least accessible.

Some of the basic energetic stuff he mentions also happens in what I do, but since I presently clock zero hours in meditation I would say I am on level zero when it comes to spirituality.

Sensing lights, movements and fields have great entertainment value though.

• Like 2

If you've already done a lot of reading on taoist alchemy, dont be surprised if you dont find much of anything "new" you didnt already know with white moon mtn peak.

• Like 1

It's akin to all the mystery of all the ancient stone megaliths. They all still stand today, millenia later - concrete proof taunting us that they knew something that we still don't. Countless books and videos have been produced speculating about how they were built...but probably the only one who actually knew and could PROVE IT BY REPLICATING THE RESULTS - was Edward Leedskalnin. And no one else can understand his cryptic explanations..

giant-slabs-coral-castle.jpg?itok=LAVct5

pyra-factskhufuentrance.jpg

ollantaytambo.jpg

mosaicrock.jpg?w=474&h=363

s76609808.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

1368036097512.jpg

Taula-Menorca.jpg

c8b593a99d6e240fad7b3ac75e231e9f.jpg

Easy to speculate, generalize, and talk... But much harder to actually DO!

I encourage any Bum who gets the opportunity to visit Coral Castle. I grew up not far from there -- my family didn't understand why I liked to revisit often.
  • Like 2

I recommend "Robert Bruce - Energy Work" as a baseline - once you get the tactile sensing of your energy body down, rather than wishful visual 'visualiszation', thou shalt grok what all these alchemical treatises are pointing to. I believe the subtlety was lost in translation, such as De translated as virtue and viewed in it's modern sense - rather than potency, eh eh eh... Dr. Johnsons mentioned Neidan 'encyclopaedia' is very much worth the price, Damo Mitchell's works are very accessible and Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming

Qigong Meditation: Embryonic Breathing is a revelation. I also recommend 'The Shaolin ChanWuYi: A Chinese Chan Buddhism by Agnes S Chan.' , especially for the conversation on cool Qi vs. warm Qi, and the standing meditation, works a charm.

-Sh'annon.

Edited by shazlor
  • Like 3

To the OP...

Yes I had significant results without knowing anything about Taoist alchemy.  What the "alchemists" are describing is something that occurs naturally but they are making it damn complicated.  If you play golf, it is a little like over-analysing your swing...you are better leaving the conscious thought out of it and just letting it happen...if you begin to go through the process in your head, you never hit the ball cleanly.  It is the same here.

Simply put, what happens is when you become calm on a regular basis but in a way that is not a "doing" such as how meditation can be, and if you can experience a certain amount of absentmindedness there is a sense that "something" is settling into the lower belly area, as though a cavity is being filled between the heart and groin area.  It is possible to then notice a presence here...an endless "something" that is completely still and undisturbed.  Shortly after I noticed this, I happened to glance at the sky and saw / felt the same presence there and I instantly knew Oneness...that my self-identity died in that moment, to realise I am That which neither came into being or will go out of being.  This is realising immortality.  That you are immortal anyway.  Ultimately, there is no attaining of the Tao and know enlightenment as there is nothing to experience the attaining of anything.  Here lies the beauty.

So in answer to your original question, my advice is to not read books but to trust your own knowing.  Which book did Lao Tsu need to read?  If you analyse what you are doing and bring it into your conscious thinking, you are exercising the very thing that is getting in the way of your realisation; your mind.

Good luck.

• Like 4

I totally agree with you Wayfarer....

"What the "alchemists" are describing is something that occurs naturally but they are making it damn complicated."

But ummmm let us not forget that according to popular opinion...

"During his lifetime Lao Tzu worked in the capital as an archivist in the Imperial Library of the Zhou Dynasty court."

Hehehe.

• Like 3