Alchemistgeorge

Looking for qigong for vision improvement (eye sight)

My eyesight is getting worse with age (I'm 58) and I am very nearsighted. I see mentions in various books that TCM will help your eyesight, and I'd like to use TCM on my eyesight.  I've found some very simple exercises, and two specific systems:

• Wu's Eye Qigong program (three DVDs, $120 US)
  • Tai Chi Ba Gua Qigong - taught via skype sessions from a teacher in Australia.

Neither of these options is inexpensive enough for me to buy and try.  Does anyone have experience in improving their eyesight via qigong, especially any specific practices for near sightedness?

FYI: I do about 2 hours per day of various qigong and meditation, including standing (zhan zhuang) about 40 minutes per day. As my knees improve I am planning on resuming my practice of  Beng Chuan (Xing Yi wood fist) - which is good for the liver.

I  am planning on investing about 20 minutes per day in addition to my daily practice on my eyesight, perhaps more at the beginning.

In my 20s I experimented with 'the Bates method' but didn't practice regularly and didn't get much in terms of results.

Thanks.

-----------------------

I apologize if I should have posted this in one of the other boards, please feel free to move this.

• Like 2

Hey,

Try this. Rub your hands until the palms get warm and then place them on top of your closed eyes, and let the heat enter.

When the heat has settled, make circles with the eyes, still closed, 36 times clockwise and then 36 times counter clockwise.

Personally I keep the eyes covered with the palms when I do this.

Source: Master Chunyi Lin from Spring Forest Qigong

Time Needed: Takes about 5 minutes a day. Investment is 0 too of course.

Results: I used to have lower than average vision but always rejected seeing an eye doctor. I did this practice consistently for 2 months or so, and I've been tested as max vision in both eyes at last medical. In fact, I feel that my vision goes better than max, and I marvel at what I can see.

It's really a great feeling. But again, I'm not the only one claiming results from this method, as there are many SFQ testimonials. You can also add the message: "vision is perfect in both eyes" at the end of your session.

The only drawback of this technique is that it's a tad boring. Personally I miss lots of days now, sometimes weeks, but the vision still seems as good. Been over a year too, so it seems consistent. Trick is going it religiously for 100 days I would think.

Thought I would share, because I'm grateful that someone showed me this. You can combine with any other techniques you find too. 

Cheers

• Like 10

Neither of these options is inexpensive enough for me to buy and try.  Does anyone have experience in improving their eyesight via qigong, especially any specific practices for near sightedness?

You might check out this thread.  There's a few success stories there using holistic methods - but I have found no sustained improvements with any yet (not that I've really tried any for a really sustained period).  Holly Tse claims to have reduced her prescription objectively by a few diopters so far using reflexology - although I have had no luck with that one yet either...

With TCM, the theory is a bit confusing.  Because although the Liver is associated with the eyes, and the Gallbladder is paired with the Liver...there's also a lot of other acupoints around and meridians (Bladder, Stomach, Large Intestine, San Jiao, Du Mai, etc) leading right up around the eyes.  That's 7 meridians/vessels right there.  So, it's hard to figure out which ones may actually be the ones responsible for your individual case of nearsightedness?

Edited by gendao

Definitely we  can .   Jing , how much and how high a quality of it  we get ,  is crucial  to our eyesight . In this sense, Taoism once again grasps  the essentials of the human body,  far superior than the Western medicine .

In fact, at the bottom part of our body , we get  jing + qi   accumulated  ;  at the top, we get  shen + jing , all organs' jing  risen and condensed there , so that we can see .   As we get older and older, our eyesight  starts to  deteriorate....;  the key solution to solve this  therefore is  to reverse the jing ( changing it into qi otherwise it can't go upwards)  so as to replenish  the brain (' 還精補腦') ( also the eyes )  , most of the eyes troubles then can be solved.

In fact ,  by Taoist criteria, how good an eyesight a person gets is  one of  the ways to identify a master :  Hardly can Taoists recognize a master who wears a pair of glasses ( other religions  may say that it is okay , nothing related,  but definitely not  from  Taoist) .

It is said that  the second  patriarch  of the South School , Shi Tai (石泰) ,  was  identified  as some person extraordinary by his main apostle at their first encounter because Shi, at 85 ,  was capable of doing his own sewing job : leading a cotton thread through a needle's eye...

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 2

By the way , regarding all organs' jing  risen and condensed at different parts of the eyes :  liver's  to iris, kidney's  to pupil , lung's to sclera.., to be fair  , it does relate to the Indian ideas..

• Like 1

Sebastien is onto something to be proactive. Tightening of muscles around the eyes as we age diminishes sight. There are many Dao yin or 8 brocade sitting exercises, massage, acu pressure, heat (rubbing hands friction converts to heat), liver meridian and so on for the eyes but more importantly doing the entire set is beneficial for the entire system since it is all connected. 

It is perfectly fine to have eye glasses. Other will judge you, think you are smart or not smart for being a loser and not taking care of your eyes. How did you let that happen they will say with their perfect eyesight look at me, no really look at me.Ha just kidding. 

• Like 1

In term of actual practice, what would you suggest to reverse short-sightedness exorcist?

Follow what Sebastian said can be helpful although what he mentioned is Post-heavenly qi stuff ;   it really depends  on how serious a symptom of short-sightedness  people get .  Minor troubles on our body always can be cured by the post-heavenly qi.

• Like 2

In term of actual practice, what would you suggest to reverse short-sightedness exorcist?

Watch in the horizon then look near to your finger, bring finger to your nose, then look away to the horizon.

And the exercise that Sebastian described for closing.

• Like 2

Here's a quick fix from out in left field...hypnosis cures -4.00 D myopia in under 20 minutes LIVE!

Edited by gendao

There's one way, called the Bates Method, created by a master Bates, which is in widespread use and I was told it has some methods similar to chi kung meditations.  Some stupid doctors say there is no evidence that it works, but they must be nearsighted or something because there was a guy at summer camp in Argentina who got rid of his glasses by using the Bates method.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bates+method

Edited by Starjumper

interesting. 

I always heard master bates was bad for the eyes,

if you did it too much you'd go blind.

Kidding>  Though I've seen so many high level people wearing glasses that I'm under the impression that fixing it is possible, but a low odds thing.  That shouldn't keep anyone from trying it though.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

old wife's tale.  master bates = pleasuring onself.   low brow but mildly clever 

• Like 2

My far sightedness corrected after just a few days sitting with Master Wang Li Ping.

I had been using reading glasses for about a year when I attended a 10 day retreat.

One evening while reading as I waited for my dinner to arrive, I realized I hadn't used or thought about my glasses for some days. My vision remains clear now, over a year later.

• Like 8

Glenn Morris of 'Pathnotes of a..' fame tells a similar story after meeting with his Teacher. 

Glenn Morris of 'Pathnotes of a..' fame tells a similar story after meeting with his Teacher.

My far sightedness corrected after just a few days sitting with Master Wang Li Ping.

I had been using reading glasses for about a year when I attended a 10 day retreat.

One evening while reading as I waited for my dinner to arrive, I realized I hadn't used or thought about my glasses for some days. My vision remains clear now, over a year later.

The next door Hare Christina neighbors have moved on many years ago,but I do remember one story.

"When our guru visits sometimes for weeks we don't smoke aka(THC) anything at all.We just don't feel like anymore."

I have witnessed such phenomena.'The Guru Effect.'

Another good story was 50's gentleman who suffered from schizophrenia from about the age of 18yo.

He would hallucinate constantly hearing voices or several voices,often of a derogatory themes.

One day he told his veteran case manager that when he is,in his company,'"I don't hear the voices,I don't hallucinate."

Some people are just so warm and full of goodness that they are a human treasure.

Edited by AussieTrees
  • Like 1

If you don't watch smartphone, TV, computer, ipad....

And practice Qi gong under the sun everyday for two hours at least

And keep the Qi for all day

Do meditation for two hours a day at least

Your eyesight will be better

It is very hard to live like this way.