daojones

How to prepare for imminent death?

Was wondering any thoughts, books, etc... on how to prepare when death is near.

Honestly? I live (or try to, anyhow) and comport myself from the perspective that I may die today or I may live another hundred years. Love, laugh, learn, grow, share, and live gently -- today. Right now. This moment.

After all, today is a good day to die, and a good day to live.

• Like 2

Meditate, practice qigong and write about what you want to do in your next life.

Yes, and I'd also echo Wang Juemin's advice -- remain calm, be a good & moral person, and practice your qigong every day -- but I think my comments above apply regardless of whatever spiritual or energetic path one is walking. Of course, Master Wang's advice does, too, if you substitute "practice your qigong" with a phrase related to your current practice. Edited by Brian

The most classical example I can think of are the Tibetan texts:

The Bardo Thodol (Tibetanབར་དོ་ཐོས་གྲོལWyliebar do thos grol), Liberation Through Hearing During the Intermediate State, is a text from a larger corpus of teachings, the Profound Dharma of Self-Liberation through the Intention of the Peaceful and Wrathful Ones,[1][note 1] revealed by Karma Lingpa (1326–1386). 

It is the best-known work of Nyingma literature,[3] and is known in the West as the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

The Tibetan text describes, and is intended to guide one through, the experiences that the consciousness has after death, in the bardo, the interval between death and the next rebirth. The text also includes chapters on the signs of death and rituals to undertake when death is closing in or has taken place.

But that presupposes at least a bit of familiarity with tibetan culture or vajrayana buddhism, or both.

The so called "Egyptian Book of the Dead" was a specialized document produced for the dying individual in question, although it contains generalized portions as well.

However, the lack of modern context will typically preclude a person from gaining much of value from studying these kinds of ancient texts, although that isnt necessarily always the case.

The Hindus would usually indicate that if a person fixates their mind on "God" (whatever that is) in the moments leading up to, and especially at the time of death - it will engender the most fortuitous results (whatever that is).

I would say it is the most perfect time to fully realize the most profound level of the truth that states "This too shall pass..." which is also sometimes called "impermanence".  In a few different traditions, the extent to which the totality of this truth is grasped is often regarded as a determining factor in the experience of death itself, as well as whatever lies beyond this experience.

• Like 1

Think of it like a cool new movie coming.  Interested and excited to see what happens at the end, but remember it is just a movie.

• Like 1

Get your affairs in order.

Gather your loved ones.

Be with them, talk about your life and legacy.

Set your mind in a place of peace as best you can.

Surrender and blend. 

side note* anticipate and keep ahead of pain with what tools and narcotics are available. 

side note2* Maybe not a good idea springing a new religion on someone at that point. 

• Like 2

"The Tibetan book of living and dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche and the "Essays" by Michel de Montaigne

"To practice death is to practice freedom. A man who has learned how to die has unlearned how to be a slave.” 
― Michel de Montaigne

Edited by oak
  • Like 2

Whether it is your death or another's the best thing to do is to get on board. Take charge of the situation for yourself or for the way the dying person wants it to be. You can not change the process, but you can change the environment in which you or another person spends their last few months, days or hours on this earth.

BE the advocate for yourself or your loved one. Talk, talk a lot about dying. Be in it, BE in the process, be in the process in that every moment you are connected, and know you can not ever escape it. 

Much love to you and yours. 

• Like 5

Death is still a very taboo subject in the West.  It can be hard and awkward to talk about.  Indian traditions have power stories that create a common bond and soothe a troubled mind.  We have movies, powerful, often manipulative stories that open us up a bit.

I wonder if watching a movie like 'What Dreams May Come' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Dreams_May_Come_(film)w/ Robbin Williams that has an optimistic take on death would be a good route to create an opening for conversation? 

A good movie and popcorn can be way more powerful in affecting a mood then people realize.  

Living your life from your heart means that when you die you will have already been in the process of completing your life mission.

Talking to dead people helps, especially your ancestors. They know what dying is like and can give you some tips. They also make the transition a lot easier because they'll be there to help you.

I generally find the living rather useless at expounding upon this subject and most of the reliable literature on this subject from throughout the ages was given to the living by the dead or non-corporeal. Might as well just go to the source. *shrug*

Leave something important behind, if you can, so that those who come after may learn from your experience.

We can take heart that, if nothing else, we have left a body of work on this website.  We have all been part and parcel of each other's evolution.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 4

Same as when you are meditating.....

Edited by ChiForce