Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

The 1-3pm blues.

One of the gems that I learned from Max's workshop is that 1-3pm is the most negative time of the day.

That really left an impression on me. It's like Fengsui for my schedule!

It's very comforting to know that the whole thing is a bit more like the weather and that I can plan my day around it and work with the daily cycles a bit more effectively knowing what is going on instead of wondering what my problem is when excessive negativity drifts into my mind around that time and having no idea why.

I haven't figured out exactly how to incorporate this into my schedule yet... I have half a mind to simply sleep through it. Maybe eat lunch 1 on and then take a siesta afterwards and not mess with the whole thing in the first place. :lol: Or if I can't sleep through it, just medicate myself on caffeine or something. I'll figure something out.

Yoda

One of the gems that I learned from Max's workshop is that 1-3pm is the most negative time of the day.

That really left an impression on me. It's like Fengsui for my schedule!

It's very comforting to know that the whole thing is a bit more like the weather and that I can plan my day around it and work with the daily cycles a bit more effectively knowing what is going on instead of wondering what my problem is when excessive negativity drifts into my mind around that time and having no idea why.

I haven't figured out exactly how to incorporate this into my schedule yet... I have half a mind to simply sleep through it. Maybe eat lunch 1 on and then take a siesta afterwards and not mess with the whole thing in the first place. :lol: Or if I can't sleep through it, just medicate myself on caffeine or something. I'll figure something out.

Yoda

Interesting... What does "negative" mean to him?

To a taoist, "negative" doesn't mean "bad," and "positive" doesn't mean "good." "Negative" means yin, and "positive" means yang. So... 1-3 pm. Hour of the Sheep. Most negative? No, it's only the beginning hour of the negative, yin part of the daily cycle, immediately following its yangmost, "most positive" Hour of the Horse, 11am-1pm. Yin is still young (pun forgivable I hope) in the Hour of the Sheep. It starts here, and from here yin will only keep growing: downward with the sun that has passed its yangmost peak, the hours of the day will keep growing yinward, negative-ward, till the hour of the most nocturnal, yinmost animal, Hour of the Rat, 11pm--1am. This, The Hour of Tzu, is indeed the most negative hour of the day, with yin at its maximum growth point from which yang will start slowly rebuilding itself again. This is the hour of magic, spell-casting, talisman-writing, prayer and meditation, this most negative, most sacred hour.

So, Yoda, the desire to take a nap at this time of the day has to do with your own ultradian rhythms, and with the organ-function-system governed by this hour -- the Kidneys. Healthy Kidneys thrive on this hour; however, any weakness will manifest itself at this time more readily, because Kidneys are the body's focus then. Kidneys in TCM are not reducible to the Western organ, rather it's the whole hypothalamic-pituitary-reproductive axis with all its metabolic, hormonal, and energetic functions, in addition to the organs proper. It is a major system, and even minor disturbances therein (exceedingly common these days) may have perceptible (and far-reaching) effects.

In terms of a "negative" in the sense "bad" hour, there's no such thing -- there's unfavorable hours in every day, some universal, some strictly individual, but none of them are permanently set as "bad" or "unfavorable" -- they always keep changing. Thats' why there's a different almanac calculated for each new year to spot and address such hours. Of course if you know your own idiosyncratic unfavorable hours (related to the workings of one's own organs governed by a particular hour, not to the nature of the hour by itself), this will overrule all other considerations. I.e., if your Kidneys don't like this hour, they will always keep not liking it until/unless something changes about the Kidneys themselves -- and then they might start liking it, thriving on its energy. It all depends.

Edited by Taomeow

I was wondering what organ that time of day was, thanks! A caffeine power nap sounds fun.

Actually, he said 1-3pm was when people were most angry. I believe that is when atmospheric Yang peaks, so that would seem to make sense. That's when the Sun is the strongest and people would be at their fieriest.

I think whenever you open, you also leave yourself more vulnerable to outside negative energies and entities...? Therefore, some safety precautions might be advisable?

Edited by vortex

Sign in to follow this