redcairo

Trivia: is there a way to 'ignore/hide' a thread?

In a couple of threads fairly recently, I decided to cease participating. It's sometimes difficult to resist the temptation to look at them -- which I don't want to since I worry it'll drag me back into it. :-)  It occurs to me that eventually I may forget that somewhere in a thread I decided to officially depart it. I was wondering how I could mark such for myself and it got me wondering if there is a way to ignore a thread the same way you ignore a user, where the system hides it from you. Possible?

RC

To my knowledge there is not. 

I will do some investigating for you though.

edit:

Not that I can find. My only suggestion is that if you are interested in a topic, follow it, when you are finished participating in it, unfollow it.

Sorry, I can not be of more help.

media fasting is one of my most potent practices...

no more broadcast tv in my home, no more radio in my life (when they play it at work, I put on my headphones)

the rest of my media comes in small doses of very carefully observed interactions...

years ago I started changing my life based on what I ate... to help my health.

then I realized, I needed to work on what I put on my body (soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, deodorant, cologne)

finally I realized that more potent and impacting than either of those... was what I allowed into my thought stream.

media fasting for the win!

• Like 4

I stopped reading, watching, or hearing the news many, many years ago.

But I see it 'by proxy' on various forums or lists I read. I try to choose only a few bloodlettings at a time. ;-)

I got rid of my TV in 1993.

But now I sometimes watch shows on my computer so I suppose I circumvented that.

I gave up every social media, but visit Facebook about once every 2-3 months just to get stuff a tiny few close people have sent me within that context. That nearly killed my attitude before I pulled myself out. Made a big sucking noise... felt like that moment in The Matrix when all the tubes are pulled out of him and from down his throat and then he's flushed, LOL. It was all for the best...

RC

Edited by redcairo
  • Like 2

I will have to rely on memory and willpower. Oy. :-)

For some reason I'm reminded of -- maybe Mark Twain, can't recall -- saying that one of the most difficult things is to be suffering from the same ailment someone is describing and not mention it. I practice that from time to time as a test. :-)  When the threads are about politics, it is nearly the same thing.

RC

Edited by redcairo

i had decided to stay away from the political threads here once, then this 2016 election arrived and it was such a novel event (from my pov) i had to return to the political threads. no worries the election will be over soon,

and then we can have a the day after the election thread!

• Like 2

Well if cordial communications don't improve in those, the day-after will look like The Day After.

:blink::D

RC

• Like 1

The hardest part of the 'hot' threads, is the rabid divisiveness and harshly entrenched positions that must be seemingly defended to the death, that is fostered and how quickly I can engage myself to one side or the other.  I really marvel at how quickly and easily it intensifies and how it grows more hungry, the more it is fed.  One simple response, spirals so quickly...

Though I'm grateful for them in the end... they clearly display attachments and aversions in my own process that require awareness, sans judgement or engaging in order to settle the muddy waters.  They are also an opportunity to remind myself that my perspective of life is just mine and it's no more valid than any other... I always have a response at the ready, but as with most of the spots in my life, I find silence is often the best response and active listening is the most potent reaction.

For every post I publish, there are many that get deleted, after I sit with them for a few moments before hitting the post button.  It's quite calming.  It's also bleeding over to my speaking life in a very potent and calming manner.  In many cases at work, with the heavy handed and often toxic types that Hollywood attracts, my silence is contagious and disconcerting for the most heavy handed and I find that the wu wei of 'not doing' or active listening which allows full focus to remain on the speaker, usually is a much more potent manner of decompressing tension, than my active involvement or attempts to exert my 'control' on a situation.

Active listening.  Non-action and silence. 

They seem to resonate clarity and calm even when I don't feel it.

• Like 2