Sign in to follow this  
kathrynwyles

living organisms

I realise this is not an original thought, however it's something that has being milling around in my brain recently and I decided that I should attempt to express what I was thinking.

Within each of us there are billions of living cells, each one made up of a variety of organelles. Each cell and each organelle has a specific purpose that it was made for. At the beginning each cell originates in a similar way and as they mature they differentiate and take on their own role; their reason for living perhaps? Some of these cells have a role in defence. They recognise foreign molecules and attack. Sometimes, but rarely, they attack "self" molecules: they generally only neutralise molecules that they do not recognise as belonging to the individual. Our bodies also consist of a lot of other materials as well - water, protein, fat, minerals and so on... It occurs to me that our planet is simply a massive living organism. All of the individual living organisms - cells - that make up this earth originate from a common source and as they mature, over however long, they differentiate and take on an individual, specific role. A reason for being, whatever it may be. Humans are simply one type of "cell" within the greater body. We all originate from the same place and we are all recognised by the body as "self". None of the living organisms on this planet are recognised as "foreign" in the sense that they do not belong to the self. There are no wars within a person's body. Each of the cells lives and continues alongside the others in harmony. Each "knows" it's place and purpose and simply does it. Some cells live a very short time and others live a lot longer. In the course of one person's life their cells are replaced a multitude of times. Just as everything in the body has it's purpose, everything has it's time. Why then do humans feel the need to conduct wars against other products of the self? Why do humans feel the need to consume other products of the self? We all originate from the same source and we all have the same basic needs, just as each and every cell in our bodies does. Why can we not coexist in harmony alongside the other products of the self that surround us?

Great thoughts... but maybe we're a virus? When looking at the earth from the view of an airplane, I would say we damn well look like a virus to the earth. Maybe that's our role =)

I realise this is not an original thought, however it's something that has being milling around in my brain recently and I decided that I should attempt to express what I was thinking.

Within each of us there are billions of living cells, each one made up of a variety of organelles. Each cell and each organelle has a specific purpose that it was made for. At the beginning each cell originates in a similar way and as they mature they differentiate and take on their own role; their reason for living perhaps? Some of these cells have a role in defence. They recognise foreign molecules and attack. Sometimes, but rarely, they attack "self" molecules: they generally only neutralise molecules that they do not recognise as belonging to the individual. Our bodies also consist of a lot of other materials as well - water, protein, fat, minerals and so on... It occurs to me that our planet is simply a massive living organism. All of the individual living organisms - cells - that make up this earth originate from a common source and as they mature, over however long, they differentiate and take on an individual, specific role. A reason for being, whatever it may be. Humans are simply one type of "cell" within the greater body. We all originate from the same place and we are all recognised by the body as "self". None of the living organisms on this planet are recognised as "foreign" in the sense that they do not belong to the self. There are no wars within a person's body. Each of the cells lives and continues alongside the others in harmony. Each "knows" it's place and purpose and simply does it. Some cells live a very short time and others live a lot longer. In the course of one person's life their cells are replaced a multitude of times. Just as everything in the body has it's purpose, everything has it's time. Why then do humans feel the need to conduct wars against other products of the self? Why do humans feel the need to consume other products of the self? We all originate from the same source and we all have the same basic needs, just as each and every cell in our bodies does. Why can we not coexist in harmony alongside the other products of the self that surround us?

Great thoughts... but maybe we're a virus? When looking at the earth from the view of an airplane, I would say we damn well look like a virus to the earth. Maybe that's our role =)

I don't think we're a virus. We evolved on this earth just like all the other organisms. Viruses don't exhibit the same characteristics of life that other organisms do.

"All of the individual living organisms - cells - that make up this earth originate from a common source and as they mature, over however long, they differentiate and take on an individual, specific role."

-> I hope more people realize what you yust told here Kathryn.. there would be a lot less harm in the world.

Thank you for your insights, very taoist :)

"All of the individual living organisms - cells - that make up this earth originate from a common source and as they mature, over however long, they differentiate and take on an individual, specific role."

-> I hope more people realize what you yust told here Kathryn.. there would be a lot less harm in the world.

Thank you for your insights, very taoist :)

Thanks minkus, that's pretty much what I had in mind when I was writing that =)

Wonderful insight. There are wars going on within our bodies. Cancer, illness of any sort, infection, ulcers, bruises, lacerations.... We make value judgements on behavior, due to our conditioning, at our level. We cannot really make such connections at a cellular level. Similarly, does the earth really care when a person dies? Aren't we supposed to? It's simply that our sense of individuality makes us mourn each other as we fear our own disintegration.

Edited by xuesheng

Are bodys are incredibley complicated.The chemical reactions that occur on a cellular level are so intricate and complex it is mind boggling.If you want a simple idea how our cells transform carbs into readly available glucose google kerbs cycle.We are so finely tuned beings that even if one of the million symbionic relations fails,we are dead.I enjoyed your analogy of humans and the earth being similiar in terms of such relations.I believe this can extend outwards to include solar systems,galaxy etc.The intricate nature of reliance and adversary of biological systems to maintain balance is profound to say the least and we as humans are blessed with the ability to observe,interact and effect these systems for better or worse.I believe a deep understanding of and interaction with the enviroment is great opportunity we have been awarded through countless eons of co-operation and struggle :) Earth worms can live without us but we could not survive without earth worms.

Sign in to follow this