Sign in to follow this  
whitesilk

Naivety and Tact

I'm impulsive sometimes...

An event ocured a few days ago, that I would like advice to help cure.

I live in a small town in the MidWest and I went to a local chinese resaurant for a meal.

I am a fan of the group Sun Zoo.

I've read in a sutra (buddhist) that there is a drum sounding in every sentient being.

I asked to lady who took my order if she knew who sun zoo was.

She said yes; then I replied, do you know what country they are from?

There are three singers in the group, one identifies with the Phillipeens, and another is named yoon maire.

I had the hidden intent of asking the lady if she would translate the words in this song:

She seemed offended, or didn't understand me, and then I raised back both my arms and exclaimed that I did not mean to offend.

I am unsure of what I had also spoken.

I sat to wait for my food.

Before my question, I said that I would like to dine in.

When the food arrived, It was in a carry out box.

While the lady was bringing me my food, I mentioned yoon marie's name and thats when I realized she thought that I was thinking about Sun Tzu.

I am unsure of whether she hated at that moment or did not speak English, so I embarrassed myself and started saying things like sound not writing while gesturing with my hands. I managed to say music.

I finished with Lao Tzu over Sun Tzu, and as I left, I glanced back at the cook, and he flashed me a smile.

I had a saying "If you lose your tact, you become holy (full of holes in this town)."

Edited by whitesilk
  • Like 1

The way many people pronounce them, "Sun Tzu" and "Sun Zoo" sound exactly the same. And people who work in Chinese restaurants aren't always Chinese, even if they look like they could be.

So,

Your first problem was, possibly, assuming that this woman, just because she works in a Chinese restaurant, can speak a language other than English.

Your second problem was, possibly, assuming that anyone would think you were talking of Sun Zoo rather than Sun Tzu.

Your third problem? Everyone in that second video is using English (yes, even the hairy one who seems to be speaking gibberish -- I caught some English words in there), and the title has some Korean in it. So, asking a woman who may or may not be Chinese / Chinese-American to translate the words in an English rap with an English-Korean title by a mostly Filipino-American group... doesn't make much sense. What did you want it translated to?? She probably thought you were crazy...

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 2

I forgot about my mistake dustybeijing. I am focusing on amends now.

After a few nights sleep, this is what I have decided to do. I printed out the lyrics to Sun Zoo's song "Get Down," and I plan on giving the lady those lyrics, along with a song which I have written about Abram and Sarai and Hagar and Issac. I am a Christian, and I hope to remain a Christian. I cannot predict the future. I am only able to live moment by moment.

I studied East Asian Civ in a class at University, and I took affinity with their philosophy more than western philosophy. I live my life by the values I've learned from the Huainanzi, Chuangzi, Tao-Te-Ching, and Wen-Tzu so far.

I have ordered from Amazon a Thomas Cleary Translation, and I am taking my time with it, that is the reason I am very concerned with proper behavior:

https://www.amazon.com/Taoist-Classics-Collected-Translations-Shambhala/dp/1570629056

One observance I've made with life is that we are all connected. When there is discord among two parties, the best pursuit for reconciliation between them is to first find the cause. Then work to relive the cause. I was presuming and impulsive. If I become patient and simple, then I hopefully I would be able to enjoy a good meal.

• Like 1

I forgot about my mistake dustybeijing. I am focusing on amends now.

After a few nights sleep, this is what I have decided to do. I printed out the lyrics to Sun Zoo's song "Get Down," and I plan on giving the lady those lyrics, along with a song which I have written about Abram and Sarai and Hagar and Issac. I am a Christian, and I hope to remain a Christian. I cannot predict the future. I am only able to live moment by moment.

I kinda think you're living a little too much in the past on this one. :)  You're a bit sensitive, she may be a bit sensitive, you might want to consider letting it go as 'one of those things'.. 

On the third hand if your intuition is strongly pointing to that course of action.. and you're willing to risk being considered a little  crazy and stalkerish.. then why not, it might work out. 

addon> I was trying to remember a movie that your story reminded me of.  It's 'I Heart Huckabees' the same philosophy of interconnectedness and need for reconciling seemingly random events.  It'd be odd if you haven't seen it.  I assume you'd really connect to it.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this