Taoway

Limited space for taiji form

I'm living in a confined space in a basement. There isn't much room for my form and it's a little stuffy to breath.

I want to start doing the form more often before and after work but can't figure out where to practice. I don't like doing it where people walk by closely.

I live in a populated island in new York so it's difficult to find a spot that is open enough.

Any ideas as to how I can adapt to this situation?

Edited by Taoway
  • Like 1

I'm living in a confined space in a basement. There isn't much room for my form and it's a little stuffy to breath.

I want to start doing the form more often before and after work but can't figure out where to practice. I don't like doing it where people walk by closely.

I live in a populated island in new York so it's difficult to find a spot that is open enough.

Start practicing single form taiji. All you need is 4 square feet of space.

I've shared my personal daily practice in my personal practice forum here. PM me if you are interested to find out more. :)

Edited by dwai

Perhaps you could stop your performance everytime you run out of space, and adjust your position. If your form is any like the one I am working on, you can do relatively long segments of it in a small space.

Of course, you still want to do the whole form without interruption sometimes, but my suggestion might be helpful when you're short of time or energy to go somewhere else.

• Like 2

I practice in my living space too, through necessity. The removal of one chair and a little re-positioning of the rest was enough, and it's not a big livingroom  ;)

and...it's also a matter of trusting yourself, I remember when i had just started taiji, ( three lessons or so...) I decided that i would try it outdoors, in a small woodland/ big parc nearby. So I was doing that and then some people came along, i was sort of...oh shit...and then i heard the woman say, O look, taiji, isn't it beautiful  :D  :D  :D

sometimes the hurdle of practicing outdoors is in our mind only  ;)

• Like 5

Taoway,

In addition to the modified forms suggested, you may consider that some of the moves have a lot to teach on their own. So just trying to perfect the opening, for example, can take as many hours practice as you might throw at it. In a way I would be more worried about the low quality air than the lack of space.

Cheers.

• Like 2

< looks out the window >   Man !   am I lucky  !       ... I dont like the sound of that basement   . 

group training spot  is here on the left 

423600676_6404e987ea_b.jpg

View upstream

IMG_0763A.jpg

But yeah ....  sometimes at home, when raining , in my  cabin ;   take shorter steps ,  stop and take a few steps back and continue ....  

• Like 3

What form do you practice?

How long have you been practicing and how solid is your basic understanding of the principles?

What form do you practice?

How long have you been practicing and how solid is your basic understanding of the principles?

I practice the dong family yang slow form. I learned 3 years ago and gave been practicing since. I know some of the fast set but only practice the slow form for now.

I understand the principals of how to hold my self as I perform. I have imagery of what my teacher would look like too and also get a feel for how it should be as I'm doing it over time.

I used to do the form twice everyday but now it has become once every few weeks and I'm not happy about that. :/

Thanks everyone. I can see now I was making excuses more than being in a bad situation. Im going to start the form everyday starting tomorrow

• Like 1

I practice the dong family yang slow form. I learned 3 years ago and gave been practicing since. I know some of the fast set but only practice the slow form for now.

I understand the principals of how to hold my self as I perform. I have imagery of what my teacher would look like too and also get a feel for how it should be as I'm doing it over time.

I used to do the form twice everyday but now it has become once every few weeks and I'm not happy about that. :/

Wonderful, if you have that much experience I would recommend that you do the form and simply change direction as needed to accommodate the space you are in. It will be confusing at first. Just make sure that you use proper principles as you change direction, move forward, and move back. You can modify the form as well such as adding in side steps, shuffle steps, whatever is necessary, provided you stick to the basic principles. 

This could be a blessing in disguise as it will force you to make the form your own and develop some flexibility in how you think about it. Make the most out of your limitations and it can only improve your grasp on the form and it's unlimited potential.

• Like 3