Taoway

Toning the Vagus nerve and learnIng to live with the parasympathetic nervous sytem.

Anyone have any experience balancing or studying this nervous system? Can it become fried or weakened?

This is why one should always do copious amounts of stillness after any active energetic meditation.  Some teachers out there will stop teaching you if you arent.

• Like 2

Check out Porges Polyvagal theory.

There is a lot of research done on how to balance it, and how to make it more flexible.

And when you understand the physiologi behind it, you will start to appreciate qigong (especially dynamic movements) from a Western medical point of view.

Yes,

1. Drink lots of water 

2. Practice relaxation

3. Cultivate your root 

4. Practice grounding 

5. Dissolve blockages

Edited by OldWolf
  • Like 1

may i add on that...

go to bed on time

don't do drugs or alcohol

take nice long walks in nature

love yourself, your'e allright, try to feel that every day...I'm all right!

Yawning...my Zapchen coach had me yawning three times a day for ten minutes at a go.  Relaxing and calming.

THanks for this. I do a lot of bodywork designed to break apart tension in the body. Ive noticed that when it really hits I yawn- a ton. And the yawning feels phenomonal.. Feels like it changes the chemical makeup of the bodymind in a very real potent way.

• Like 1

Yawning...my Zapchen coach had me yawning three times a day for ten minutes at a go. Relaxing and calming.

Hey its interesting you say this! When I was looking up information on vagus nerve stimulation I came across the jaw bone and realignment exercises. I think a lot of tension resides in the jaw and the ability to relax is maybe what's so important about yawning for the vagus :D

Thanks so much for sharing that. I'm going to delight in yawning all the time now

• Like 1

Some of the things that stimulate the vagus nerve I realized I did when I was a kid. A few examples are.

Pressing on your eyes of which I used to do in bed to make everything doubled. Fast forward to my teenage years. I smoked some weed and about an hour later I leaned back and rubbed my eyes and I saw a very vivid chamber of geometric patterns ... hmm

Another example is the yawning of which I would have a uncomfortable feeling of having to yawn for along time.

Last is I used to save up saliva in my mouth and keep it there.

Turns out this is a way to stimulate vagus nerve. By gathering saliva while pressing the tongue to the palate

Thanks for the yawning tips liminal_luke, I am going to try it. 

As for the topic, this reminds me of a seminar I attended about habits and happiness. The speaker had worked with a scientific approach to Loving kindness meditation (I think it corresponds to Metta meditation? Please correct me!) and that this was an effective way of toning the vagus nerve and improving happiness. Here is a link where you can read about it: http://www.realnatural.org/loving-kindness-meditation-improves-vagal-tone-decreases-depression-and-ptsd/

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this thread, wasn't aware of this nerve until i read it!  well i found this article : https://hiddenlighthouse.wordpress.com/tag/kundalini/   that says there is a gap in the vagus nerve that science hasn't found yet, and that kundalini bridges this gap when awakened...   i don't know enough about anything to have an opinion on it really, but thought some of you may find it of interest.   It's the second article down on the link i posted.  

Cheers.

Edward

Actually it doesn't say that at all... apologies bums, i got mixed up, don't quite know how...but there you go... sorry for wasting your time!!!  

thanks again to all involved in this thread 

I do not know if I would call it meditation. It was like a melt down.

It was like an addition to me was here-----it felt childlike.

like it was me analyzing me---like  how could I conceive of ever being in that kind of relationship.

odd-

a bit scary

I was at work. luckily no one was home-because it was an uncontrollable storm.....

I am a bit on the emotional side though.

my best interpretation will certainly be shredded by your experience or maybe  your playful need to bat it over to someone else--

It maybe felt like me as a child with no comprehension of how could be in relation with grown woman.

do you want to name it like lily Frankenstein?

any insights I might gleen from such an occasion?

1. you might not see everything heading down the pike

2. do not get involved with anyone on a physical level male or female.

3. there will never be an answer that satisfies.....because things are just from each viewpoint.

I prefer to go back to my video. :blink:;)

ok how do I get out of all this?

limit my moods

don't chase my thoughts

practice my best version of kindness-even if someone would like to trip me on occasions where I deserve it.

ok-

appreciate the warmth of sunshine

light in the leaves

odd chores to do today

maybe if I shut up I could appreciate someone elses kind words.

accept sadness that life is not going to be the same as it was.

stay as unsexual as I can----

get busy focusing on the breath

I realize my own need to stay away.

drink water

organize my life in ways that make sense to my life

clean my truck

donate items to goodwill

no more classes from teacher

control in a way that is helpful to my life-

reduce clutter in my home

get busy in business. increase income.

thank others as best I can with not good circumstances that I have created.

no formless yoga

or whatever its called

lay off the black magic :wub:

Edited by sagebrush

Not sure whats going on with the last few posts as they dont seem relevant in any way to the topic but anyways-

another great way is laughing. maybe do yawning for a few minutes then go crazy laughing for a few minutes. Its amazing how quickly this can change your inner state.

• Like 3