zerostao

herbz

18 posts in this topic

these 15 plants are listed (on this list as some are useful for other stuff too) as beneficial for the lungs.

since breathing is the most vital of functions, it seems a good place to start this thread with.

i like this list as it shows that whatever region you are in there is a natural remedy there for you if you are into foraging. or if you like to order off the internet, you can do that as well. some good info on each plant is given.

http://preventdisease.com/news/14/012214_15-Plants-Herbs-Boost-Lung-Health-Heal-Respiratory-Infections.shtml

Edited by zerostao
5 people thank this

Nice list. 

May I add the ones that would be my first choice...  some of the best ones are even more available:

1. Garlic

2. Onion

3. Ginger

4. Mustard

5. Horseradish

6. All hot peppers

7. Wasabi

8. Mutton fat (this is not an herb, but it's just about the best.  Applied externally as a vigorous rub to the chest, with a few drops of warming essential oils added to enhance the effect and to offset the otherwise very unpleasant smell.) 

5 people thank this

i dont have all the hot peppers, do have some, and with the exception of mutton fat, i always keep the rest of your fine list on hand. on the day you posted this i did have rack of lamb :) and ive heard rice is good for lungs, breathing, qi,,,,

i agree that a good diet goes a long ways. long long ways. 

still, there are moments when a drop or two of mullein tincture sends one to astral travelling

3 people thank this

I've only used mullein tincture for an earache, and not even my own. :D 

The diet goes a long way, sure thing.  But I wasn't talking about those goodies as food, I meant their medicinal uses as herbs that support the lungs. 

With garlic, I make garlic tea for the first signs of cold or flu, and if I catch it fast enough, the first signs will be the last that same day.  One whole bulb (not clove), crushed, per cup of boiling water, boil for one minute, breathe the vapors while it steeps for another ten, then drink.  It loses the bite and tastes surprisingly OK when prepared like that.

Onions -- if there's a virus going around, you just cut one or two large onions in half and put them, open side up, around the room.  Helps with malevolent spirits too.

Ginger --  superb breathing aid, make tea with it (strong) or compresses/packs with ginger juice.  For the lungs, dried ginger is best, fresh ginger for the stomach.

Horseradish -- if you prepare your own, as I do once or twice a year, your kitchen might turn into something like a battlefield where they use a lot of tear gas and possibly Yperite, and you will keep running back and forth between the culinary task at hand and open air, crying and cursing -- but you won't get a cold or flu that year.  Not a chance.  Don't use a gas mask.  You will survive this, but nothing bacterial or viral will.  (I have a very powerful masticating juicer so it makes a whole lot all at once, maybe if you grate it by hand it's not as dramatic, you don't get this level of fumes...)

Mustard shines in hot foot baths for any and all breathing needs.  Don't use the prepared stuff.  Use mustard powder.  

With hot peppers I have a recipe to raise the dead. 

Wasabi is self-explanatory. 

5 people thank this

thank you taomeow for your generous detailed explanations. you continue to be a source of a wealth of highly useful knowledge and wisdom.

3 people thank this

my habaneros and dragon cayenne are still flowering, just inside now :)

+spiritus

excellent topical

;)

2 people thank this

Maybe I should have posted the question here instead of posting it in the supplements thread:

Does anybody have experience with taking herbs such as Ashwagandha, Brahmi, Gotu Kola, and Shankhapushpi?

Alone, or combined?

How fast can one expect results, and are there any drawbacks or side effects?

Thanks.

1 person thanks this

tumeric keeps in the conversation, and rightly so, so many fabulous benefits from a kitchen spice.

a couple months ago, some told me that taking black pepper with tumeric increases the bio-availability of the tumeric 

2000%

http://nutritionfacts.org/2015/02/05/why-pepper-boosts-turmeric-blood-levels/

I've found black pepper in many herbal and tea recipes.  Like licorice root it, as you say increases bio-availability of other herbs. 

I'll throw tumeric into my cooking where ever I can, particularly eggs and rice.  A very cheap, earthy, healthy spice. 

2 people thank this

Maybe I should have posted the question here instead of posting it in the supplements thread:

Does anybody have experience with taking herbs such as Ashwagandha, Brahmi, Gotu Kola, and Shankhapushpi?

Alone, or combined?

How fast can one expect results, and are there any drawbacks or side effects?

Thanks.

I've taken ashwagandha and gotu kola, though not for long and not regularly enough to report anything significant.  Ashwagandha, like many other Ayurvedic herbs, is best taken with ghee, for bioavailability.  Traditionally they mix it together with ghee into a thick paste and eat a spoonful at a time.  It is very safe (unless you have trouble swallowing something the consistency of peanut butter.)  Gotu kola is supposedly capable of giving some people a headache, but I haven't experienced any side effects. 

1 person thanks this

Ok I just ordered the above mentioned herbs. I might try Ashwagandha for a month first and then add the rest one by one.

I'm curious whether I will able to tell the difference as I add them up

I've taken ashwagandha and gotu kola, though not for long and not regularly enough to report anything significant.  Ashwagandha, like many other Ayurvedic herbs, is best taken with ghee, for bioavailability.  Traditionally they mix it together with ghee into a thick paste and eat a spoonful at a time.  It is very safe (unless you have trouble swallowing something the consistency of peanut butter.)  Gotu kola is supposedly capable of giving some people a headache, but I haven't experienced any side effects. 

I will certainly try that mix! Thanks.

1 person thanks this

Do not take tumeric, it's not healthy herb. It's actually make your body think that disease is gone when it's not really.

Do not play with herbs mindlessly or get over internet hype. Follow the CCM or TCM where all herbs are well tested and described so you can fit your own individual constitution. Do not use "general herbs" but always specific herbs for your specific condition or you will get into trouble of endless unbalance.

Look what you need for. If you are feel fatigue low energy whole day by doing nothing? take Buzhong Yiqi.

If you feel frustrated, have some digestion problems or bloating, or your mind is unsettle by hard work. Take Gui Pi Wan.

etc. the best if you can find professional doctor to consult your state.

Keep your yang qi balanced so add ginger and try to not ejaculate after yang qi kicks in as you will be very horny (meditate then, qigong).

Approach to herbs must be holistic with the lifestyle, diet and everything. You can not just "Oh I will take a herb" - extracting one wheel from four will not make you gone very further.

Take responsibility. Do not say "I will try this herb maybe or that" because even one potent herb can turn your life around either positive or negative.

Keep that in mind and be happy and healthy.

Edited by SeekerOfHealing
2 people thank this

Do not take tumeric, it's not healthy herb. It's actually make your body think that disease is gone when it's not really.

All of India and Pakistan and much of the rest of Asia use it daily as a culinary herb, and have done so for thousands of years.  Perhaps you want to back up your findings with some references?

4 people thank this

Many herbs are toxic even in medium quantities; its rare to take more then a teaspoon of them (course there's so many kinds generalizing is impossible).  I've read the reason they help is because they are toxic(!)  thus stimulate the system they're lightly attacking.   I.e we're ingesting plants oft powerful defense mechanisms.  

Seeker,

Ah...  so information comes from sources dedicated to discrediting herbal medicine.  Not from herbalists.  Not from any people injured by curry.  Not from cancer survivors who took massive doses of curcurmin as part of the protocol.  OK, got it.   

In reality, the only lousy side effect of turmeric is, it's very staining.  You really have to think twice (something I didn't do and lived to regret) when subscribing to one of those Ayurvedic youtube channels and making all those facial masks with turmeric they are so fond of.  The instructions go, just remove it with coconut oil.  Yeah right.  From a beautiful dark Indian face on youtube it did disappear without a trace.  Try it on white skin...  not so fast.  Went to a party in yellow face a couple of weeks ago -- didn't see it in the light in which I was removing the goo from my face, saw it later in the host's mirror, with horror.  Yellow like the submarine.  Lesson learned. 

The rest is pretty much without merit.  Of course it is not a panacea, but it is not something "not to take" because it will "mask" the disease.  It does have anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and antioxidant properties, to name a few, and useful carotenoids, and even the pigment that stains so brutally in a facial mask also penetrates the cancer cell and can "stain" it into apoptosis...  These properties are enhanced if it is used as part of traditional Ayurvedic formulas, and are mild but not nonexistent when it is just used in cooking.  

Oh, and if you think herbs "do not heal very much," why does big pharma derive 85% of its drugs from herbs?  Except theirs are artificially altered on the molecular level for patentability (i.e. ownership) and produced synthetically (ibid.) but the original is herbal in 85% of the cases.  This includes the biggest and best drugs in the "modern" arsenal, the ones that actually cure certain diseases. The rest, the ones that don't heal, don't cure, but "manage" symptoms, are petroleum based.  That's all, folks.  Either herbal or petrochemical origin of everything that generates trillions of dollars for the drug companies.  What, did you think they invented the penicillin mold, or quinine tree bark (malaria remedy), or curare pepper mix (without which there's no modern anesthesia and no modern surgery)?..

Edited by Taomeow
7 people thank this