Yoda

Charity

I'd like to donate to a charity where I feel like I'm actually helping someone help themselves, that the energy is good, it's simple, most of the money actually hits its target, etc. Any recommendations? I like the concept of heifer.org... like giving a family a bee hive or a dairy goat, etc... it's a way for them to make some cash and they pledge to give an offspring to someone else, etc. And then there's the other one, I forget their name at the moment. Provides cataract surgeries for $50... that's a huge help too.

And I'd also like to start volunteering occasionally around the nearest homeless shelter too in the near future.

^ The Kunlun site accepts donations now. I'd say that's a pretty good cause - one that helps people help themselves. :)

Edited by vortex

That is a great idea! :)

If Chris is ever so moved, it would be fun to add some donation packages like Heifer.org does: $30 buys a hive of bees, $120 buys a goat, $500 buys a family a cow. So maybe buy a "one day scholarship" for $150 or a "two day scholarship" for $300 or "sponsor a free seminar" for $5,000-$6,000 depending on your area. Or donate use of a meeting place for the weekend. Just brainstorming, of course, not my business how Max and Chris run their show.

xuesheng,

You've seen them in action? Let me know what you saw. I like their price for goats!! I just bought a goat yesterday for $120 and I could have bought one here for $75. Pays to shop around!! :lol:

Still, I'm happy that some family will get a dairy goat out of the deal even if I did overpay. Also, I'm sure getting goats in different countries have different prices.

Whenever I'm in the goat mood, I'll remember your site.

Yoda

Lozen,

You got your teaching gig!! Congrats on that!! A worthy cause too!! I'm sorry I overspent on my goat! :lol:

Your pal,

Yoda

I collected money from my friends and family and bought a cow for my 21st birthday this year through this Australian charity - http://www.usefulgifts.org/

This caused much hilarity amongst my peers =)

OMG... $50 a goat!! You guys are killing me! :lol:

And then there's the other one, I forget their name at the moment. Provides cataract surgeries for $50...

That's seva.org. You can just donate, or you can donate as a gift to another person: Meaning they'll send a card to Mrs. Yoda as a present saying whatever you want, like "I restored someone's sight instead of getting you a sweater, so you're kind of in on it". :lol: I haven't got the wording quite worked out, but that one was maybe the funnest I've come up with... How about a contest:

Funnest and funniest things to put on a card like that!

* ready..., go! *

~ later ~

Also, it'd be fun to get a goat or something in someone's honor - especially if they could send a picture of the goat and the family that got it to your card recipient... maybe even a thank-you letter, or info another several times over the course of a year or so.

I'd like to donate to a charity where I feel like I'm actually helping someone help themselves, that the energy is good, it's simple, most of the money actually hits its target, etc. Any recommendations?

Infrasys.biz is another one that comes to mind. It's actually not a charity, but a business. You invest in small start-up projects in rural India that are designed to provide some benefit to the local community and that are profitable. If it goes well, the locals pay back the investment and then ownership and profits go to them. ie, there is incentive for them to continue the business because it is profitable.

^ The Kunlun site accepts donations now. I'd say that's a pretty good cause - one that helps people help themselves. :)

We need goats!!!

Do you hear me Max? They want goats just like I have been telling you. I promise to give them away and not make them my personal companions.....NOT!

The quest for the goat dakini is reinvigorated!

(Inside joke, performed with a funny accent)

Edited by Mantra68

xuesheng,

You've seen them in action? Let me know what you saw. I like their price for goats!! I just bought a goat yesterday for $120 and I could have bought one here for $75. Pays to shop around!! :lol:

Still, I'm happy that some family will get a dairy goat out of the deal even if I did overpay. Also, I'm sure getting goats in different countries have different prices.

Whenever I'm in the goat mood, I'll remember your site.

Yoda

:unsure:

Been pondering how I can help folks out... been thinking about donating goats, donating to Kunlunbliss, about volunteering to help out the homeless... and it all came together... sans the goats.

Check it out: before going to see Max in Phoenix, I asked my 7 year old daughter, Freya, to give Kunlun a shot. Within *seconds* she was flying! She was just that open.

Now consider the homeless... they have similarities to the childlike state: they don't work, they don't have a schedule, they don't have anything... their energy is very Shiva-like. I think they'd totally dig Kunlun! I can't teach it, but I can hand out the book. Even if they don't read it and just look at the photo, they can figure it out.

Just a thought. I'll do standard volunteering and maybe see if I get the right vibe for it.

Donate money as a remote foster parent for a child in Africa, or other countries where your money lasts a long time

I pay about 600 dollars a year to support children in Ethiopia that are starving and lack proper education and school material

for a lousy 50 dollars 4 children can get uniforms and all their school books for an entire year.

I feel it counts, and reading about how one boy down there is getting so much out of the help their getting is a strong experience.

Do something! It counts!

h