Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Simulation

They wondered about computers too?

probably, altho i was referring to their speculation that this could all be some simulation, a matrix of sorts if you will.

if brian had posted this thread 3-4 years ago even, your research would lead to some interesting stuff about it.

but now at first glance all that can be found is some watered down plato version.

or some nonsense that simulacra is originally some 16th century french idea.

• Like 2

Jean Baudrillard's work is similar to Krozybski's in that both discuss the illusory relationship between the semantic perception i.e, maps and the so called real world.

probably, altho i was referring to their speculation that this could all be some simulation, a matrix of sorts if you will.

if brian had posted this thread 3-4 years ago even, your research would lead to some interesting stuff about it.

but now at first glance all that can be found is some watered down plato version.

or some nonsense that simulacra is originally some 16th century french idea.

I have seen the Moody Blues five times in concert. One of the great bands from the 60's.

I have seen the Moody Blues five times in concert. One of the great bands from the 60's.

^^ i saw them once @ the cow palace on the gemini dream tour.

i was sitting in the next to the top row, at the cow place there are no bad seats, acoustically tight place.

if i had been any closer i probably

would have exploded  :D

interesting group to be sure

^^ i saw them once @ the cow palace on the gemini dream tour.

i was sitting in the next to the top row, at the cow place there are no bad seats, acoustically tight place.

if i had been any closer i probably

would have exploded  :D

interesting group to be sure

Saw them twice here in Santa Fe. One of the great venues designed by Paolo Soleri.

Paolo_Soleri.jpg

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

To clear up my post, semantics are the illusion and are in no way a precise or exact way of mapping reality.

• Like 3

bostrom's paper is fun and it is easy to get caught up on the fun side of it. especially with our gaming culture like it is now,

it makes one think. 

the paper says one of the 3 choices must be true, the 2 other choices dont seem quite as fun.

like going extinct for example.

Ummm  IMO

Korzybski is  making a semantic argument about the word illusion , correcting it with the term abstraction, but the world itself  isnt an abstraction either , he says so himself . IT is what it is.

He figures that to be a process , fine , but the abstraction is still a mirror , not actually what the external world is. 

Illusion , implies that there's an untrue aspect to our impressions.

Otherwise said ..In an illusory situation our impressions do not accurately represent what externally is. 

Since he is seeing a disk where there is a fan blade , his abstraction-mirror, is a faulty representation of what actually is , and so its an illusion , or inaccurate abstraction( rather than an accurate abstraction ,which would be a true mirror of the world itself)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this